Intake manifold off with pics of intake valves with deposits.

So serious but likely dumb question:

Earlier in the thread it was stated that no catch can, regardless of manufacturer will catch all of the unwanted vapors that pass through it - what if you ran two catch cans in series? Would there be a performance impact? Would the second catch can actually catch anything? I'm not purposefully looking to burn money, but if two is appreciably better than just the one .. well I can probably justify it to my live-in accountant.

Quite a few YouTube videos discussing just this and showing the second can working. Depends on the quality of the first can though compared to the second. Do a YouTube search and you'll find a lot of your answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how we started early on. Tried what was supposed to be the "best" cans, and they caught oil so we figured they worked, but were still seeing knock retard that should not be occurring, so we added a second can inline, and found it caught oil and figured problem solved, yet still had KR, so it was then we began testing all cans we could for total effectiveness. What we found was eye opening to say the least. 95% of ALL cans tested only trapped approx. 15% of the total oil, acids, fuel, water, etc. that entered them. That meant 85% was still entering the intake air charge and being ingested. We found a few that were as high as 30%, but that was the max. As stopping any is good, it does not solve the issues. At 95-98% effectiveness came the E2-X design (Genuine RX, Colorado Speed Premium, Tracy Lewis Signature series, etc.....NOT the counterfeit RX now sold under McNally brand,stay clear of it), Elite Engineering's latest and most effective design to date. Here is a test done over 6 months....video is long, but start at the 17 minute mark to see the results on how dramatic the overall effectiveness is. This is against the Moroso's best larger can:

As you can see, you could stack several ineffective designs in series and still not equal the E2-X's abilities. And as it uses 2 separate evacuation suction sources, it always pulls evacuation suction on the crankcase instead of just at idle and deceleration as most do.

You can also see it is trapping far more than oil alone. To be 100% effective requires a centrifuge style system like Alfa Laval makes, but they cost thousands and are to large and bulky to be practical on a passenger vehicle. They are used on industrial locomotives, generators, ocean going freighters, etc. And they will separate fuel and oil and purify it to be reused as well.

Then, we look at app. 10-15% of all coking deposits are caused by the back filling of burnt gasses due to the EGR emulation today's engines use via variable valve events. That can't be prevented period, but by using a system like this, your removing the compounds that other wise would be settling into the engine oil reducing it's ability to protect, and the rest is ingested in the combustion chamber. And you only want air/fuel in the combustion chamber.

Benefits are:

Better fuel economy due to less KR pulling timing. Also from a cleaner burn so more energy is released per explosive event (combustion).

Longer engine life by flushing and removing the damaging compounds while still in a gaseous state, before they can settle and mix with the oil.

More power as pressure is never allowed to build as in a standard PCV system or most catchcans. This aids in piston ring seal and stability as well as aids in the pistons down stroke.

Lower emissions as the hard to burn compounds are scrubbed and removed from the intake air charge prior to entering the intake air charge.

And of course longer oil change intervals. Today's full synthetics don't "wear out", they become condemned when contaminants overwhelm the oils ability to protect. As today's GDI engines experience many times the raw fuel wash-down as the prior port injection engines due to the fuel being introduced at 2,000-3,000 PSI as well as much higher compression ratios. If this is NOT flushed and evacuated from the crankcase as soon as it enters, it quickly settles and dilutes the oil.

So, far more to protect from than just oil ingestion. LSPI (Low Speed Pre-ignition Incidence) is breaking pistons at an alarming rate and the only true fix is eliminate the causes of this. Oil manufacturers are working to come up with formula's (like Amsoil) that are less volatile to reduce this issue, but preventing the ingestion in the first place is the most effective solution.

So small, ineffective cans are mostly a waste as far more passes through them than they trap, no matter what a brand claims, do the testing yourself and see:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr-vs-rx-catch-can-effectiveness-test-254381/

Ask questions and happy to answer and guide as much as possible.

Cheers!

The original Elite can, the base can, was developed at the time to be the most effective for port injection engines and comes in around 50-50% effectiveness, about twice the best cans of the time, with the exception of the Saiku Micchi (excuse my spelling if I got it wrong) that came in around 70%. Then came Gasoline direct injection engines and the fact they cannot tolerate any of this ingestion so the E2 was released with dial outlets to allow for forced induction applications and greatly improved effectiveness. Then the E2-X using a patented design that is unequaled in the industry.

I have the original Elite can. I trapped over 25oz. of oily crap from my 2013 5.3 Vortec in 25k miles. I transferred the same can over to my Ecotec 3 5.3 in my 2017. In 600 miles, I have trapped a couple of oz. of what appears to be pure oil. I realize that the newest offering from Elite is better, but is it worth the extra cost?

I have the original Elite can. I trapped over 25oz. of oily crap from my 2013 5.3 Vortec in 25k miles. I transferred the same can over to my Ecotec 3 5.3 in my 2017. In 600 miles, I have trapped a couple of oz. of what appears to be pure oil. I realize that the newest offering from Elite is better, but is it worth the extra cost?

Definitely worth the cost. And the base Elite cans are easy to sell to port injection engine owners. The big differences are the effectiveness of the E2-X dual valve and that it converts the PCV system to full time evacuation. The OEM PCV system relies only on intake manifold vacuum for evacuation, and that is only present at idle, deceleration, and light cruise. Anytime your accelerating or at WOT, there is no IM vacuum due to cam lobe overlap caused reversion pulses. So the E2-X Dual valve will utilize Venturi generated vacuum/suction to take over and provide full time evacuation. Otherwise the periods when not evacuating is when these contaminants will settle and mix with the engine oil accumulating in the crankcase. Then the CSS (Cleanside Separator) is used to address ingestion via the fresh, or clean side of the PCV system. So with your new GDI engine, the E2-X or similar are a must.

Archived