Black bear tune before or after

I plan on doing bolt ons. An MIT tube, long tubes and maybe cam it. Of course this is going to be a process. Should I go ahead and wait for a tune from black bear or go ahead and do it before. My concern is not having a tune to suit the bolt ons, how does black bear deal with add ons

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iirc the folks at black bear will do additional tunes at a discount after the fact, so if you want to do your primary flash with the ecu tuner, then do more data logging they can send you a modified tune after, it'll just cost ya more.

I guess it boils down to how long you can wait. I know patience isn't my strong point. Especially when modding my truck. :lol:

I would wait to get it all done at once...I look at it as money saved in the end or more bang for the buck (pun intended) and a better overall feeling of what your money paid for instead of small incremental changes.

RT

iirc the folks at black bear will do additional tunes at a discount after the fact, so if you want to do your primary flash with the ecu tuner, then do more data logging they can send you a modified tune after, it'll just cost ya more.

I guess it boils down to how long you can wait. I know patience isn't my strong point. Especially when modding my truck. :lol:

I would wait to get it all done at once...I look at it as money saved in the end or more bang for the buck (pun intended) and a better overall feeling of what your money paid for instead of small incremental changes.

RT

RT

As dark fox mentioned, patience is something I have yet to master. It would be nice to have it done all at once but I don't trust myself but I do understand your point of the big picture. Thanks!

I figured it would be additional cost. If I was going to do either the tune or mit first which would be the mod that I'm going to have the most wow factor from?

Granted I have an autocal, but i have never been charged for a retune. Justin is a heck of a guy who has always worked to get my truck right time and time again. I think I have gone through 4 different stages at this point from intake only all the way to my current head/cam/supercharged/header configuration.

Tune updates are free. So as you add mods, just send in a datalog and the guys will send you the new tune for them.

Thanks Jenna. Any chance yall will ever be around the lubbock tx area?!

Free!?

Huh.. well that's awesome!

In that case, tune now, mod, tune again, tune later. The only reason to wait would be if you're afraid of a low battery or fluke event nuking your ecu during a flash. Which isn't likely.

Can go wrong with black bear. I got my in-person tune from him today and it feels like a different truck. I got the autocal and he loaded a few tunes for me.

The in person tune is what I really want. Closest tuning to me is 6 hrs away so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Just had Justin do my truck in Houston last week....Night and day difference...it is awesome to have my ride respond the way it should....I recommend you get the base tune done with him...it really takes out all the "crappiness" out of these trucks. Justin is top notch ! Get the Autocal...and have Justin re-tune whenever you make a significant mod.

Blackbear is the best. They typically say do your mods before tuning, so they can adjust their final tune for you. Although, tune updates are free. So you can always update them. But it would just be one less step to have to retune.

Archived