What do you carry for your CCW?

Beginner here, I just got a Glock 19 a couple months ago. I plan to carry that for now. I got a Concealment Express IWB holster and been carrying that (empty) trying to get used to it. It definitely took some adjusting too but I think I found a comfortable area. I'm thinking about buying and Alien holster also and giving that a whirl. 

Still waiting on my permit, took my class on Jan 20th. I submitted my paperwork the following Wednesday and wife's paperwork the following Friday. Checking the status online, her LTC is ready to print and mine is in background check. I thought mine would be quicker but she beat me! 

Best advice I can give is find the holster that works best for you. Everyone is built different or has a unique take one what works best for them. There are some things that are just junk, and junk has a way of getting you killed. Just keep that in mind and the rest will sort itself out. 

• Like 1

I have Glaco King Tuk holsters for my M&P-40C and my Kimber Ultra Crimson Trace and they feel pretty good. I pocket carry a Sig P238 with a Galco Stow-N-Go sometimes, but may get an ankle holster to fit that too...
I also have a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for my S&W 686+ which is really badass, but I don’t wear it often as I don’t wear jackets a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The great state of Texas no longer has a CHL, it’s a LTC. Given that, I carry a XD MOD2 service in 9mm. It’s got a frame buffer, Rail mounted light, trueglo night sights, and about 80K rounds through it. It gets carried in a super tuck deluxe holster with 2 Spare mags and a neomag third spare in my pocket

My .02 for what it's worth. Nothing against glocks per say, however if you're going to carry with one in the pipe I've always been a fan and recommended an XD. Reason being I personally love the grip safety similar to the 1911's. It can be discerning to carry with a loaded firearm pointing at your precious jewels (assuming you carry AIWB) so the added grip safety brings a bit of comfort in an otherwise uncomfortable situation. This is simply a personal preference and I know there are guys out there that can't stand the grip safeties and regardless practice is the key when carrying. However, I personally don't own any glocks and will probably keep it that way. Beretta's, HK's, XD's etc. all have a place in my safe but for carrying I think the XD is a cheap (glock pricepoint), extremely reliable, safe and effective tool. For those living in free states, if the standard XD doesn't tickle your fancy, you also have other choices such as XD mod 2 and XDS. Not the case in California unless your pockets are deep and don't mind traveling around the state like a lunatic to find a specific firearm for PPT.

As far as holsters go, again in my opinion, a lot of them are the same. You have low-end and high-end. Low end being the walmart $20 holsters you can buy off the shelf, and high-end being reputable custom holster makers such as Alien Gear, JM Custom Kydex, Harry's Holsters, etc. Just find what you prefer, I love my JM Custom Kydex.

I carry at the 6. I have kidex, great for OBW. The hybrid super tuck is VERY comfortable IBW and concealable even when shirt is tucked in. My personal opinion is don’t carry at all if you don’t have one in the pipe. Be ready to party. Hell, I’ve got 73 freedom seeds on me if I’m carrying. 

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on how hot it is. For hot weather, an old S&W M59 or High Power both with reloads. Cold weather, a 1911-A1. As we have a lot of 4 legged critters locally, while hiking around the cabin in the mountains, a 357, 41 mag or 44 Mag.

Either my Sig 320 subcompact, Glock 17, or one of 2 1911's. Les Baer or Dan Wesson. We can carry open or concealed. I normally go concealed OWB with a cover garment, as I find it the most comfortable for me, If somebody sees it, too bad I have my license to carry either way so head to your safe space Nancy. 

Edited by Rob Okray

Glock 26 in a Foxx hybrid holster. Great priced holster I’ve had for 5 years now without issue or discomfort. Now, best thing I got besides that was one of those ratcheting belts you can finely adjust. Very easy to loosen or tighten as needed.

Springfield 9mm XD Mod 2 in an Alien IWB holster( I love this holster).  I carry this most all of the time when clothing allows and I dont print too bad.

Ruger LCP 2 with a neoprene pocket holster, when I am wearing light stuff, ie. summer clothes or board shorts on the boat when concealment can be an issue.

S&W 357 Mag with OWB holster when tooling around at my camp, I am more worried about the four legged variety up there.

Or all 3 when Im feeling extra American...

What I carry varies by where I am and what I'm doing. Usually out and about,  a S&W M59 in warm weather and it colder weather a Portuguese High Power or a 1911-A1 with a McMcormick 10+1.

At the cabin in the mountains of NE Georgia, the threat is four legged, a 357, 41 or 44 mag.

Firearms are similar to shoes, one size doesn't fit all feet and one size doesn't fit all occasions. 

On 2/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, silverWS6 said:

Beginner here, I just got a Glock 19 a couple months ago. I plan to carry that for now. I got a Concealment Express IWB holster and been carrying that (empty) trying to get used to it. It definitely took some adjusting too but I think I found a comfortable area. I'm thinking about buying and Alien holster also and giving that a whirl. 

Still waiting on my permit, took my class on Jan 20th. I submitted my paperwork the following Wednesday and wife's paperwork the following Friday. Checking the status online, her LTC is ready to print and mine is in background check. I thought mine would be quicker but she beat me! 

I would strongly recommend against Alien Gear. My OWB was floppy and loose fitting to my body and the IWB clips would slide around or come loose from my belt. I recommend Winthrop OWB holsters, Crossbreed IWB, or a high quality leather from Mitch Rosen or similar. Get a good gun belt. Very important. They will wear out so you'll need a new one every couple years. Comptac makes a good one. Carry a flashlight. You cannot shoot what you cannot see. Fenix lighting.

It takes a couple months to get really comfortable carrying everywhere. The holster and clothes you choose will morph until you're dialed in. I feel sloppy in an untucked shirt so I often wear a light jacket to conceal my OWB, mag pouch, and flashlight.

What I check is how a pistol points for me. Take a pistol and point it at something without aiming; then move your head to see where it is aimed. Basically, it's not different than pointing your index finger at something. What points well for you or me may not point well for someone else. As encounters of the worst kind happen fast; you will not have time to aim, only point.