Flashing third brake light

Has anyone did this to their 14/15 truck yet? Where did you get the part from? Local dealer here wants $85ish for it, the put them on all of the new trucks on their lot.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone did this to their 14/15 truck yet? Where did you get the part from? Local dealer here wants $85ish for it, the put them on all of the new trucks on their lot.

Is this even permissible, I thought all brake lights had to be steady burning???

I haven't done it to my truck, but I have done it to my motorcycle.

Used this product from Signal Dynamics:http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffxp

Half the price of what the dealer wants (for self install), easy installation and choice of some different flashing modes.

Good luck!

Is this even permissible, I thought all brake lights had to be steady burning???

That only pertains to the main brake lights, the 3rd bake can modulate. It only flashes 3-4x then go solid.

I think Hyundai is adding this to their vehicles. I have seen several Sonata's and Elantra's with a flashing third brakelight. They looked brand new.

I guess it's a neat feature...but does it really help get the attention of drivers behind you? Stands to be confirmed....

I think Hyundai is adding this to their vehicles. I have seen several Sonata's and Elantra's with a flashing third brakelight. They looked brand new.

I guess it's a neat feature...but does it really help get the attention of drivers behind you? Stands to be confirmed....

It might not get their attention unless it sends a text message to them, haha

I actually hate that flashing 3rd light. If a person turns their signal and presses the brake, you get 3 different things happening at the same time and IMO, that's dangerous because you're not really sending the same communication to the other cars near you that everybody is used to. ...and, it looks a little cheap, like a teenager who puts blue windshield wiper squirters on the front of their truck to be cool b/c they're different.

I don't see how they will affect regular brake light operation and 3rd brake light operation. All of the module info I found online is they install in the 3rd brake like compartment and only affect the 3rd brake light.

The whole point is to get distracted drivers to notice other vehicles

If one is annoyed by extra flashing than so be it

If they have to pause a little to figure out what's actually going on than so be it

At least the distracted driver has noticed the vehicle in front of them and are less likely to crash into it

As said earlier, I don't have a brake light modulator on my truck, but I do have one on my motorcycle

I know it has saved my A** several times at stop lights

Annoyed at flashing brake lights? I'm annoyed at getting rear ended!

I've been using this product for several years on my cars, trucks, and motorcycles:

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake-light-flasher-c-65/universal-brake-light-flasherstrober-36-modes-p-180.html

Cost is $20, and it can be installed in 10 minutes or so.

You can choose to have a 20 or 40 second delay where it won't flash again (so it doesn't flash all the time during the traffic jam). It has options for 1-5 flashes, and slow (for incandescent) or fast (for LED), so you can choose how "annoying" to be.

I honestly believe these devices save lives and prevent damage. As a paramedic, I can tell you every truck we're ordered in the last 5 years or so (from four different vendors) has had a third brake light flasher/modulator as standard equipment.

Might be bad because when i follow someone who doesn't know how to coast to slow down and they just keep tapping the brake, It's like crying wolf. I don't know if they really mean it this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Local dealer installs on all new and used vehicles and adds $300 to the price - claiming safety item and will remove if requested. New twist on the old fabric protection/pin striping scam. Most people are stupid enough to eat the cost rather than spend $5 and ten minutes of their time.

Apparently a thing at many dealers. One of the selling points is that it adds "only $5" to your car payment:

Our clients enjoy a verifiable 70% penetration with Pulse. It’s inexpensive suggested retail selling price of $299 yields net income in excess of $200! Better yet – all of your departments get a piece. What’s your plan to recapture lost gross in the coming year? Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to increase your front-end gross on all new and CPO vehicles with a flip of a switch?

Archived