Strange Noise in Steering

Hey all -

2014 Silverado with 22,000 on it. I started noticing this noise when turning the wheels when either stopped or at very low speeds, like when reversing out of a driveway. It's barely perceptible in the feel of the streering wheel, but definitely can be heard if you're listening for it. It doesn't seem to be there every day, but most of the time it is. Quick video of the noise below. Any ideas? I also get a lot of tire squeal when turning sharply at low speeds on pavement. Tire pressure is fine so I'd figured it was probably the alignment needing to be adjusted, so I scheduled that for next week. But figured it might be worth mentioning here in case it might be somehow related. It actually sounds a little louder in this video than it does to me inside the truck. Can't really hear it from the back seat, but you can if you're driving and paying attention for it.

Truck is still under warranty obviously so I may take it to the dealer but thought it might be worth getting some feedback here first.. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypufmbAK0ic

Take it in and let them check the alignment for the squealing tires and the steering column for that 'sticky bushing' noise. It may just be the tires on the ground making that noise. Raising the front tires off the ground and turning the wheel may give some insight into the issue.

Do you have the OEM goodyears? Mine would squeal.

Also, I think there is a TSB for the noise in the steering wheel. Bring it in and have the dealer take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I had that with my truck. It's not in the steering column. There is a gear in the steering rack, that Is going bad, wearing incorrectly causing play, making the sound. There was a recall about a year ago, but mine wasn't supposed to be "affected". Either way my dealer replaced my whole rack, but I've herd some only replace the gear. Good luck!

Try enabling disabling 4x4 if you have that option. I had it sounding weird once, cant recall if it was the same noise. It somehow got stuck in 4x4 but the button is set at 2wd. set it to 4x4 and back to 2wd fixed it for me and no more problem since. (I think I reflashed the tune when it was in 4x4 or something and it glitched out then)

I just got mine back from the dealer today for this issue and it was the steering gear as well. they replace the whole rack and pinion under warranty (im at 35,100 mi).

on an un related note my brake pedal was making a "woosh" sound and they replaced the brake booster as well under warranty.

I just got mine back from the dealer today for this issue and it was the steering gear as well. they replace the whole rack and pinion under warranty (im at 35,100 mi).

on an un related note my brake pedal was making a "woosh" sound and they replaced the brake booster as well under warranty.

Would you be so kind as to post a scan of picture of the work order they gave you showing what was done? I'd love to take it to my dealer.

Archived