OBrien19's 2014 Double cab LT Z71 Build

obrien19

So did you remove any trim pieces to achieve this? How were u able to push out the port by pressing the bottom? I understand what needs to be done I just don't know if I have to remove that big trim piece with the ports.

Thanks a lot for helping out

I have the center console in my truck. Had to take off the whole top of the console and then was able to get access behind the aux ports. Then o disconnected all the wires and was able to just use my hand to press it out while use my other hand to support the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Now it makes sense why it wasn't working for me, I was just trying to pull it out without taking anything apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since I e done any mods, winter in NY really limits my options. So now that spring has finally arrived, figure I'd share a little teaser photo of my current project. Building a sub enclosure to house a 6 inch sub in my center console

. ccc6133436ca76050cf85e4c56798b15.jpg

• Like 1

Well it's been a while since I e done any mods, winter in NY really limits my options. So now that spring has finally arrived, figure I'd share a little teaser photo of my current project. Building a sub enclosure to house a 6 inch sub in my center console

Anyway you can tip me off to how much room is under the console? I'm going to be putting two 10" subs in my truck and am hoping i can put the amp rack under the console instead of behind the seat

Anyway you can tip me off to how much room is under the console? I'm going to be putting two 10" subs in my truck and am hoping i can put the amp rack under the console instead of behind the seat

If your just running a single amp, there should be enough room. My sub box is 9 x9 X 5.5. It all depends on how tall the amp rack will be, otherwise you will hit the first storage bin in the console.

It'll be two amps and a line out converter. That actually helps a lot. I was mostly worried about width and clearance from the center storage bin. Fast reply as a bonus!! Thanks for the help

Edited by Airbus27

No problem, between my taptalk app and my email, I'm pretty much always around to answer questions. I'd say that if your amp rack is under 5 inches tall, you should have no problem. Tons of room under the console where the radio is, but as you get back to that first storage bin, is where things get tight. I'd say the space measures 10 inches wide, by 16 inches long (estimate) and 5 inches tall. (From under the radio, to the first bin). I think there is a member on here, that did put just a single amp under the console. I'll have full install photos of everything together today after work, so that should give you a better idea of the space available.

Edited by obrien19

Well here is the finished sub project. My sub box is 9w x 9L x 5h. Sub was a cheap Pyle sub I got for $15 bucks from Amazon. (Didn't want to invest a lot in something I wasn't sure would work the way I wanted it to.

6e672c6f6fe93f2f3a1b5835949027b1.jpg

The amp is. kenwood compact mono amp. Rates for 600w. The sub is dual coil, set it up according to Kenwood for dual 4 ohm at 200w.

a14f7217a0372020442114dd89ba6e83.jpg

Connected everything together and put the final audio adjustments on the amp and the signal converter.

73f76972ad9313ecc4559a6f72956a0f.jpg

Used Velcro to hold the signal converter to the inside of the center console

fcf76592aa8c5435bc1898278b9bac5f.jpg

Used the 1/4 inch spade in the driver side fuse panel for amp remote power on

a5ca8ebbfb6dcc516143c52aa322641f.jpg

And with everything put back together I can take the passenger console kick plate off and use a long flat head screw driver to make any future amp tweaks

ceee22e876d6a9d6889cbb8e148e6ec4.jpg

Well here is the finished sub project. My sub box is 9w x 9L x 5h. Sub was a cheap Pyle sub I got for $15 bucks from Amazon. (Didn't want to invest a lot in something I wasn't sure would work the way I wanted it to.

6e672c6f6fe93f2f3a1b5835949027b1.jpg

The amp is. kenwood compact mono amp. Rates for 600w. The sub is dual coil, set it up according to Kenwood for dual 4 ohm at 200w.

a14f7217a0372020442114dd89ba6e83.jpg

Connected everything together and put the final audio adjustments on the amp and the signal converter.

73f76972ad9313ecc4559a6f72956a0f.jpg

Used Velcro to hold the signal converter to the inside of the center console

fcf76592aa8c5435bc1898278b9bac5f.jpg

Used the 1/4 inch spade in the driver side fuse panel for amp remote power on

a5ca8ebbfb6dcc516143c52aa322641f.jpg

And with everything put back together I can take the passenger console kick plate off and use a long flat head screw driver to make any future amp tweaks

ceee22e876d6a9d6889cbb8e148e6ec4.jpg

Nice! How does it sound? Truck looks awesome man, well done.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nice! How does it sound? Truck looks awesome man, well done.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It sounds great, I feel it gave my truck that bass it was missing. I don't know how the stock Bose system sounds, but I imagine this sub hits harder than what the Bose would. Next I plan on upgrading the speakers, and installing some bass blockers to help clean up the sound

• Like 1

So what made you buy the 4.3 v6 over the 5.3 or 6.2? My dad has a 2002 Sierra base 4.3 v6 215,000 miles on it stock engine and tranny. What's the horse power and torque rating on the new engine? Looking at buying a left over v6 for around $20,000 brand new.

Really I went with the 4.3 because I was trading in a 2010 Taurus that just went out a warranty, terrible in snow and tranny slipping. So with my negative equity, dealer was able to keep my payment the same as on my Taurus. But I don't use he truck for anything that would require the V8 anyway. So it was a win/win in my book. I believe the v6 is rated at 285/305 on unleaded.

Decided to upgrade my speakers to finish off my audio mods. Went with 3 way Focal component speakers front and rear. Added baffles that I picked up at auto zone as well. So far so good with the new audio

7b123159d189c5b5ef60592f0242bb33.jpg

9406be31eafc0da64a90ba299e70bc33.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I decided to separate the boys from the men. Decided to do an FXR projector retrofit on my Eagle eye lights

.98a3f83f4083e828347074efa69bedd0.jpg

The hardest part was going to be to make a new mount, as the Eagle Eye projectors mount points are flipped of what the FXR projector is.

1bf4a7d28c3e59728ca0cf44af9986c9.jpg

I baked open the headlights and using a dremel cut out the old mounting points. Using a cardboard template I marked the holes for the new mounting points. And using a combination of nylon spacers bolted the FXR projector in place.

f7e7985134808e2d3f7fbfc17089a8a5.jpg

e63350acb6c69a9e3a2bd272403b5d69.jpg

b694c22d3e1514fefa7e54821113939a.jpg

Once all that was done, I put the lights back together. And reinstalled in the truck.