07 Tundra Owner - Why I Didnt Buy the 2015 Silverado

This Toyota 'superiority" nonsense has been going on for a long time. The new Tundra can not compare to any of the Big Three's trucks. I guess it's the ol' brand loyalty thing again. I suppose a lot of us have it. We try to find fault in brands that we don't care for and tend to overlook issues in the brand we love.

I have to disagree with you, I really like the new tundras, they have pretty much all the same features for a lower msrp than gm or ford. Well fords new trucks might have a few more features. The 2014 tundra refresh came with a nice new quiet interior that is similar in road noise to the new gm's, but the dash still uses the old style silver hard plastic. The power train was what kept me from buying a tundra, its got jam that's for sure and shifts nice, but the mpg is pretty horrendous.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if it matters any, i had 2 toyota trucks prior to the GMC sierra.

in 2014 i bought my GMC and frankly i went shopping for a tundra and came home with the GMC.

you really cant say anything bad about the toyota, they make great cars and trucks. but both their trucks are way out dated. the facelift in 2014 was a nice touch but they really need a new drivetrain.

i like superchargers and the TRD option almost made me want the toyota but i would have had to order the NON flex fuel version as there were none to be had in stock.

as far as rust is concerned, you live in an area where that is a common problem. ive not see that issue here in CO at all.

but when you compare the MPG and the power of the GM 6.2 to the 5.7 there is no comparison in any way shape or form. i regularly get 22-23 mpg highway in my truck. i can tow more and it has a much better 0-60 performance than the toyota

cost wise, you can configure a GM truck much the same as the Toyota for about the same price point.

if the rusting you observed was that common of a problem affecting the longevity of the truck, do a search on this forum and see how many cases you find of actual trucks that had frames that rusted through. every truck will get rust on the frame. in fact the 1 gen tacomas had recalls for rusty frames.

personally with all the enhancements GM made on the new trucks i think it won't be long before they out sell the Toyota line.

your speaking the same way about GM trucks as i might go on about Fords. and as much as i wouldn't buy any ford vehicle, they are selling more F-150's than all the other truck brands and it is the most popular vehicle sold in the US. so as crappy as they are, there are apparently a lot of people who disagree with my feelings about fords.

buy the truck that suits your needs/ wants and fits your budget.

if it matters any, i had 2 toyota trucks prior to the GMC sierra.

in 2014 i bought my GMC and frankly i went shopping for a tundra and came home with the GMC.

you really cant say anything bad about the toyota, they make great cars and trucks. but both their trucks are way out dated. the facelift in 2014 was a nice touch but they really need a new drivetrain.

i like superchargers and the TRD option almost made me want the toyota but i would have had to order the NON flex fuel version as there were none to be had in stock.

as far as rust is concerned, you live in an area where that is a common problem. ive not see that issue here in CO at all.

but when you compare the MPG and the power of the GM 6.2 to the 5.7 there is no comparison in any way shape or form. i regularly get 22-23 mpg highway in my truck. i can tow more and it has a much better 0-60 performance than the toyota

cost wise, you can configure a GM truck much the same as the Toyota for about the same price point.

if the rusting you observed was that common of a problem affecting the longevity of the truck, do a search on this forum and see how many cases you find of actual trucks that had frames that rusted through. every truck will get rust on the frame. in fact the 1 gen tacomas had recalls for rusty frames.

personally with all the enhancements GM made on the new trucks i think it won't be long before they out sell the Toyota line.

your speaking the same way about GM trucks as i might go on about Fords. and as much as i wouldn't buy any ford vehicle, they are selling more F-150's than all the other truck brands and it is the most popular vehicle sold in the US. so as crappy as they are, there are apparently a lot of people who disagree with my feelings about fords.

buy the truck that suits your needs/ wants and fits your budget.

It is also widely understood that if you want the most American made truck, Tundras are the way to go. So I don't know why you went into your test drive thinking anything else.

Sorry but I don't care what anyone says, a Japanese company will never build an American product. The Tundra is a Japanese truck, regardless of where it was built.

Sorry but I don't care what anyone says, a Japanese company will never build an American product. The Tundra is a Japanese truck, regardless of where it was built.

Don't be ignorant. The Tundra is built in Texas, by Texans with most of the parts made here in America. You can close your eyes and shout as loud as you want, but a fact is a fact.

Don't be ignorant. The Tundra is built in Texas, by Texans with most of the parts made here in America. You can close your eyes and shout as loud as you want, but a fact is a fact.

Toyota is a Japanese brand. Profits go to Japan. It's not an American brand and not an American truck.

Bingo

Toyota is a Japanese brand. Profits go to Japan. It's not an American brand and not an American truck.

The profits of the sales go to japan, but the profits of all the parts being used that were created in America go to the companies that created them. Which in my opinion is just as import as the company creating the vehicle profiting. One company vs many companies. Toyota vs All the companies creating parts. I think that it equals out and both of them create just as many jobs.

This much is true, but the profits do not stay in the US. They go to the Japanese as Toyota is traded on the Nikkei 225

I have to disagree with you, I really like the new tundras, they have pretty much all the same features for a lower msrp than gm or ford. Well fords new trucks might have a few more features. The 2014 tundra refresh came with a nice new quiet interior that is similar in road noise to the new gm's, but the dash still uses the old style silver hard plastic. The power train was what kept me from buying a tundra, its got jam that's for sure and shifts nice, but the mpg is pretty horrendous.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you said it yourself....The dash is ugly ( I think the whole truck is ugly), and in a world where m.p.g. seems to be important, 'the m.p.g. is horrendous." So in my opinion they don't compare favorably to the offerings from the "Big Three." That being said, I have to say they all are pretty nice vehicles, like luxury cars with truck beds and we are lucky to have so many to choose from, but c'mon that Tundra is butt ugly.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you said it yourself....The dash is ugly ( I think the whole truck is ugly), and in a world where m.p.g. seems to be important, 'the m.p.g. is horrendous." So in my opinion they don't compare favorably to the offerings from the "Big Three." That being said, I have to say they all are pretty nice vehicles, like luxury cars with truck beds and we are lucky to have so many to choose from, but c'mon that Tundra is butt ugly.

The interior is great looking to me, its just the silver plastic I dont like, which is easily fixable, everyone has their own bias on looks I guess.

Toyota pays taxes and employ thousands of Americans not only at the corporate level but manufacturing level as well. That directly affects the U.S. economy more than their profits ever would.

Toyota pays taxes and employ thousands of Americans not only at the corporate level but manufacturing level as well. That directly affects the U.S. economy more than their profits ever would.

And I'm sure GM, Ford and Chrysler pay more in taxes and they most definitely employ more people at all levels.

Toyota is a foreign brand, period.

Archived