07 Tundra Owner - Why I Didnt Buy the 2015 Silverado

I've owned my 2014 for about a year and a half now, and have a little over 13,000 miles on it.

1. As noted in a previous post, the horrible transmission tuning does not get better. Shift pressures are the only thing the transmission learns, The guys that tell you it gets better are likely just more used to it. Every time I drive an older vehicle that actually shifts like it should I just have to shake my head. I still can't believe how poorly the transmission is programmed, at least on my 2014.

2. The center of my truck's dash started to rattle at about 4,000 miles. There's a video on here somewhere showing the removal of the dash panel, and the metal to metal clips that hold it in place, thus the cause of the noise after time. Two days ago I started hearing a faint rattle coming from the driver's side front of the dash. It sounds like it's pretty deep inside the dash, or possibly on the firewall. All of my past GM trucks have developed some kind of dash rattle anywhere from 4,000 to 10,000 miles. With GM's focus on a quiet cab, I just can't see why they would use metal to metal clips on a large dash panel. It's to be expected, though.

3. Thankfully, my truck doesn't vibrate, but my driver's seat started moving at 11,000 miles, and the bottom seat heater quit working a little before that. Both of these issues are common, and another example of a lack of quality control.

4. My frame isn't rusty, but there have been plenty of examples of trucks on here that were. I'd stay away from the ones that are bad. Obviously there was an issue with certain trucks.

5. Build content and location make no difference these days. Everything is global.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have the rust issue on the frame after one winter on my ltz pretty bad too ,I just hit it with a good application of rust check and it looks great ,I have had to do this with every vehicle I have owned it just comes with the territory (Ontario),everything else on the truck is to my liking especially the 6.2 this thing is STOUT and gets 21 mpg ,hard to beat.

And I'm sure GM, Ford and Chrysler pay more in taxes and they most definitely employ more people at all levels.

Toyota is a foreign brand, period.

they do yup, ford and gm alone employee more people in the us than all the japanese companies combined, but with that being said the article that was shared a while back that listed the top three shows their usa economy rating, that rating is made to show the effects on employment in the us. While toyota doesnt employ as many people as say gm, per truck sold they are creating more jobs in the US than gm.

I do have the rust issue on the frame after one winter on my ltz pretty bad too ,I just hit it with a good application of rust check and it looks great ,I have had to do this with every vehicle I have owned it just comes with the territory (Ontario),everything else on the truck is to my liking especially the 6.2 this thing is STOUT and gets 21 mpg ,hard to beat.

I've owned my 2014 for about a year and a half now, and have a little over 13,000 miles on it.

1. As noted in a previous post, the horrible transmission tuning does not get better. Shift pressures are the only thing the transmission learns, The guys that tell you it gets better are likely just more used to it. Every time I drive an older vehicle that actually shifts like it should I just have to shake my head. I still can't believe how poorly the transmission is programmed, at least on my 2014.

2. The center of my truck's dash started to rattle at about 4,000 miles. There's a video on here somewhere showing the removal of the dash panel, and the metal to metal clips that hold it in place, thus the cause of the noise after time. Two days ago I started hearing a faint rattle coming from the driver's side front of the dash. It sounds like it's pretty deep inside the dash, or possibly on the firewall. All of my past GM trucks have developed some kind of dash rattle anywhere from 4,000 to 10,000 miles. With GM's focus on a quiet cab, I just can't see why they would use metal to metal clips on a large dash panel. It's to be expected, though.

3. Thankfully, my truck doesn't vibrate, but my driver's seat started moving at 11,000 miles, and the bottom seat heater quit working a little before that. Both of these issues are common, and another example of a lack of quality control.

4. My frame isn't rusty, but there have been plenty of examples of trucks on here that were. I'd stay away from the ones that are bad. Obviously there was an issue with certain trucks.

5. Build content and location make no difference these days. Everything is global.

Your rattle in the drivers side of the dash could be similar to two rattles I had back there. First one was the screws behind the plastic plate under the steering wheel. You can remove that plastic cover with two torx screws and then just pull hard and it will come off. Behind there was a metal bracket that had 4 screws in it, One of them had fallen right out and the other three were loose. The other rattle I have back there is the shifter linkage. Its a metal rod with a plastic device clipped on to it. There was nothing I could do about this rattle.

Your rattly in the drivers side of the dash could be similar to two rattles I had back there. First one was the screws behind the plastic plate under the steering wheel. You can remove that plastic cover with two torx screws and then just pull hard and it will come off. Behind there was a metal bracket that had 4 screws in it, One of them had fallen right out and the other three were loose. The other rattle I have back there is the shifter linkage. Its a metal rod with a plastic device clipped on to it. There was nothing I could do about this rattle.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look this weekend. I appreciate it.

It's like seeing a fly in your soda - you expect the pizza and salad to be bad too.

Wait.... YOU got a FLY in your soda? Why didn't I get one? I want a fly too!

Whatever. Defend the import junk all you want.

Pretty piss poor attitude for a moderator if you ask me. GM is not the only manufacturer of trucks nor are they they best. What we're trying to tell you is that If Toyota sold as many trucks as GM they would in turn create more jobs in the US than GM does. Lb for Lb toyota trucks employ more americans. Whether one truck is better than another is dependent on a lot of factors. Open your mind.... and you're eyes.

Pretty piss poor attitude for a moderator if you ask me.

I didn't.

I owned a Tacoma and hated it and I'm hardly a GM diehard. My 2003 Silverado was a POS and prior to buying the 2011 I cross-shopped all three trucks that actually matter.

Over last fall and the first part of this year I drove all three full sizes that actually matter and came away with this:

Ford: Nice package, 5.0 is strong but the (manual) seat was terrible, it actually caused discomfort on even short drives. I rent vehicles 40+ times a year for work so I see a bit of everything and these seats were unacceptable. I also dislike Ford's infotainment system.

GM: Quiet, drives nicely, still comfortable and the infotainment, though a bit laggy worked well. But, it didn't do anything that stood out to me. I felt it was a nice truck but it just didn't do much for me.

Ram: This is what I would've gotten if I didn't do the Jeep. I like the style, the ability to get a well optioned regular cab, the throttle and trans tuning is aggressive and Chrysler infotainment is the best on the market.

The rams are great, I'm just not 100% sold on them yet, I do really like them though. I just think the tundra gets a bad wrap and it really isnt far off, and actually in my opinion is ahead of the game in some aspects.

Pretty piss poor attitude for a moderator if you ask me.

I'm a member of quite a few forums. I have learned that a moderator is here to enforce written forum rules, and his view and opinions are allowed to be his own. It can actually be better sometimes than fanboy mods that lock threads or delete posts all the time. This is a pretty tame and laid back forum so not a real issue here anyway.

I'm a member of quite a few forums. I have learned that a moderator is here to enforce written forum rules, and his view and opinions are allowed to be his own. It can actually be better sometimes than fanboy mods that lock threads or delete posts all the time. This is a pretty tame and laid back forum so not a real issue here anyway.

Behave yourselves I am watching lol

Now back to our regularly scheduled viewing

Ryan

Archived