Terrible road noise / cabin noise in my new 2016 2500 HD

I will keep you posted. I expect my GM friend will have some good thoughts as he works exclusively on NVH (noise vibration and harshness) issues. The only issue is that most of his work is on the Cadillac brand, but the concepts should be the same and I expect he has a well trained ear. I will see him on the 17th and report out.

Geez that video 1 that is a annoying sound plus when the bump stop touches there another knocking noise. Man that's a tough thing to have to deal with driving. I hope you can get that resolved I feel your pain with a new truck it should be smooth and quiet.

• Like 1

Those are great videos...thanks for producing and posting those. The clanking is strange, but one would think that could be identified.

The tire drone is very similar to the noise I have and the one I am trying to figure out how to manage. I really wonder if the tire noise is normal and the truck just isn't properly sound proofed, or if there is something about the truck which creates the noise.

So after making these videos, I really do think something is wrong with the driver side of the truck. You can hear metal on metal when hitting bumps in the driver side video.

I believe that the "clank" sound you hear is your upper control arm bottoming out on the droop stop. It appears you have your bars cranked up quite a bit.

-Eli

I believe that the "clank" sound you hear is your upper control arm bottoming out on the droop stop. It appears you have your bars cranked up quite a bit.

-Eli

Hey Tjeli,

I only did the 2011-UP GM 2500/3500 HD Forged Torsion Key Leveling Kit from Ready Lift and GMC installed it.

Hey Tjeli,

I only did the 2011-UP GM 2500/3500 HD Forged Torsion Key Leveling Kit from Ready Lift and GMC installed it.

Right. If you still have your factory upper control arms I can almost guarantee that is the noise you hear when going over bumps. Check your droop stops and see if the paint is worn off.

-Eli

Right. If you still have your factory upper control arms I can almost guarantee that is the noise you hear when going over bumps. Check your droop stops and see if the paint is worn off.

-Eli

Okay so that's a negative on the paint being rubbed off. So what do you think about the tire noise? It's different on the driver side then the passenger.

Okay so that's a negative on the paint being rubbed off. So what do you think about the tire noise? It's different on the driver side then the passenger.

I am leaning towards tire noise. Duratracs are not the quietest tires in the world. Are the tire pressures the same? I would see if your dealer will swap on some front wheels and tires from a non Midnight edition and see if the noise changes. If nothing else it would be piece of mind.

The noise I have is less constant when it occurs. I'm wondering if it's coming from the transfer case or front diff.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by dab5577

I am leaning towards tire noise. Duratracs are not the quietest tires in the world. Are the tire pressures the same? I would see if your dealer will swap on some front wheels and tires from a non Midnight edition and see if the noise changes. If nothing else it would be piece of mind.

I had them change back to stock and the noise is almost gone. But no one can tell me why its just the front left, even when the camera's under the truck its just front left making the most noise.

I had them change back to stock and the noise is almost gone. But no one can tell me why its just the front left, even when the camera's under the truck its just front left making the most noise.

You had the keys swapped back to stock?? Is that what you're saying?? Or you had the tire's changed from the Duratracs.

Maybe the ball joints are reaching their limits of travel. They're designed to be in the center of their travel at a certain height, and when you change the height of a vehicle that has control arms, you can run into ball joint issues in a hurry.

I've had a truck that I trashed a set of control arm ball joints by lifting the front with the torsion bar adjusters, and a Mercedes where I trashed a set by lowering the front.

If you're referring to the tire's, I'm about to have my duratracs swapped out from my midnight edition because of the whirring from 30-60mph. Can't stand it. Planning to go for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Won't look as cool, but I've never had a noise issue with them.

You had the keys swapped back to stock?? Is that what you're saying?? Or you had the tire's changed from the Duratracs.

Maybe the ball joints are reaching their limits of travel. They're designed to be in the center of their travel at a certain height, and when you change the height of a vehicle that has control arms, you can run into ball joint issues in a hurry.

I've had a truck that I trashed a set of control arm ball joints by lifting the front with the torsion bar adjusters, and a Mercedes where I trashed a set by lowering the front.

If you're referring to the tire's, I'm about to have my duratracs swapped out from my midnight edition because of the whirring from 30-60mph. Can't stand it. Planning to go for Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Won't look as cool, but I've never had a noise issue with them.

Yeah sorry for the confutation. I had the duratracs replaced for the stock tires and the noise was almost gone. When you said the uca would be maxed out in travel, I would be surprised since it's only 2.25 inches of lift and no one at Ready Lift has seen that before.