How-to/write-up on separating & reassembling GMC headlights?

I am nearly 100% satisfied with the looks of my truck aside from the wheels, which will be addressed with aftermarket wheels when the timing/funds are right.

The only other issue I have and it really bugs me, is the huge amber lens/turn signals in the headlight.

I consider myself very handy, mechanically inclined, and have always done my own work. I have done motor swaps, tranny swaps, rear end swaps, cam swaps, lift kits, drop kits, you name it. Though I have never separated a pair of headlights.

So...I was wondering if anyone has done a write-up or how-to separate and reassemble the 2014+ GMC headlights? I don't know how much a new headlight costs, but if I'm in over my head, I don't want to risk it. I have tons of tools and would buy whatever I don't have for the job.

I like the look of the factory headlights and would prefer to just modify the ones I have. Unless someone out there has a swap program where you send in your stock headlights and they send you a modified factory pair, I really don't want to buy an aftermarket pair.

Also, before even attempting to take them apart, can the lens/turn signal even be removed? If so, would it look funny without the lens? Does anyone make a clear/chrome replacement lens?

Is the factory bulb amber or clear?

There are two methods I have seen for opening headlights. Bake them in the oven and separate them or dremel them.

I am going to be opening my headlights up next week and havent decided how yet. I have previously used the oven to open a pair of camaro headlights and it worked great. I will be tinting the amber signals and painting the chrome.

I cut mine open with a dremel..would i do it again? no. its hard to get the two pieces to line up properly and you also loose the tabs to hold the face plate(chrome piece) in place. if and when i do another set i will be baking them, several guys have had success baking them on here. if your nervous about doing it yourself bert from plain an simple is in texas and he could open them up for you .

Do you know of any write-ups or how-to's on baking them? I just don't want to mess up a set of Denali headlights as I'm sure they're not cheap to replace. I don't mind tackling the job if I could get a good write-up/how-to or video.

Most write ups are a generalized instruction. It is mostly 200 degrees in the oven for about 8 minutes. Take out all screws before hand then start peeling at it. If the rubber isn't melted enough then throw it back in there for a few more minutes at a time. Reverse process with new butyl tape (or old) and throw it back in the oven. Then clamp it together and hope there are no leaks. (You can spread silicon on it afterwards to better seal it up).

I just realized...if I remove the amber lens, I'm going to have to swap out the bulb. If they factory bulb is clear, then I'll need to replace it with an amber one. If I don't do a switchback bulb and just get an amber LED bulb, do I still need resistors? I have VLED LED bulbs in my license plate lights, reverse lights, and cargo lights and didn't have to wire in any resistors.

I'll try to do a write up when I get back home in a few days (like the Silverado write up I did), but long story short I use The Retrofit Source (TRS) guidelines which is 270 degrees for 23 minutes. This is perfect and I can separate the lens in one oven session with this method and a flathead screwdriver.

For the bulb I didn't want to mess with LEDs and resistors so I just used standard halogen bulbs that are Amber and chromed so they don't reflect in the housing when not on

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171967192273

7F220FC7-2D73-4CB2-BDAD-9C0C500BC13C_zps

Edited by baggedlvintegra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to do a write up when I get back home in a few days (like the Silverado write up I did), but long story short I use The Retrofit Source (TRS) guidelines which is 270 degrees for 23 minutes. This is perfect and I can separate the lens in one oven session with this method and a flathead screwdriver.

For the bulb I didn't want to mess with LEDs and resistors so I just used standard halogen bulbs that are Amber and chromed so they don't reflect in the housing when not on

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171967192273

7F220FC7-2D73-4CB2-BDAD-9C0C500BC13C_zps

So did you just simply remove the amber lens and replace the bulb? I would like to do this on mine next.

Has anyone considered just smoking the amber lens like a lot of people do with the entire headlight assembly, taillights, etc.? Or just leave a small vertical strip of amber on the outside and smoke the rest? I wouldn't mind the amber lens if it wasn't so bulky. Completely removing the lens does look good, but I'm back and forth with the idea because it also looks like something is missing.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yeah I did. I got a bunch of cutting videos for sierras. I was hoping someone could actually show a write up for the Sierra. A way to fight the permaseal without killin yourself or the headlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well housing were baked open between yesterday and today after work and wife sleeping. These are definitely not made to just come apart. 240 at 20 mins about 4 times each side. And a lot of prying and wiggling. It can be done with patience but what a pain. It was 2 years since I’ve opened one of these and completely forgot the annoying permaseal.

Well now to upgrade to the switchback led bars. My last are 2015 SLE with Klearz Lenses and white paint for main color and black accents.

Now 2016 HD with the 2 led bars and Klearz lense with my upgraded D5s HIDs running 35 watts over the 25 watt oem ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk