Exhaust leak sound while under load

On 5/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, Jaychevy81 said:

If I had to guess it’s the V band clamp had the same issue on mine once I changed the exhaust tried 10 diff ways to position that clamp still leaked. I picked up some permatex exhaust sealer put a little around where the 2 mate up. Put the clamp on solved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine started leaking there after only a few thousand miles and I tried to tighten the clamp but it was as tight as it would go. When I took it in for service I asked to have it checked and when I picked it up there was a hand written note on the invoice that said something like "customer stated exhaust leaking but no issue found". Strangely it was not making the noise when I left so I checked when I got home and found they had actually replaced the clamp!?! A few weeks ago (around 8,000 miles) I started hearing the noise again so I checked and sure enough it's the same issue. As before the clamp is as tight as it will go but you can see lots of movement at the joint when you jiggle the pipe so I'm gonna take it in again.

Mine started leaking there after only a few thousand miles and I tried to tighten the clamp but it was as tight as it would go. When I took it in for service I asked to have it checked and when I picked it up there was a hand written note on the invoice that said something like "customer stated exhaust leaking but no issue found". Strangely it was not making the noise when I left so I checked when I got home and found they had actually replaced the clamp!?! A few weeks ago (around 8,000 miles) I started hearing the noise again so I checked and sure enough it's the same issue. As before the clamp is as tight as it will go but you can see lots of movement at the joint when you jiggle the pipe so I'm gonna take it in again.

Which clamp are you referring to? Is this the connection point between the header and piping?

I have same noise and have for 2 years. Nobody knows what it is and at first I thought it was pinging from a Diablew tune.

Yes had the same issue the aftermarket exhaust is not as exact as the factory. I had to reposition the clamp a few times to get it tight. But it would leak where the clamp seam is where the bolt is. I used a small dealer of Permatex solved it if that is your issue.

Yes had the same issue the aftermarket exhaust is not as exact as the factory. I had to reposition the clamp a few times to get it tight. But it would leak where the clamp seam is where the bolt is. I used a small dealer of Permatex solved it if that is your issue.

Hmm we’re talking about clamp between header and pipe?

I have custom exhaust; they cut the pipe and welded on. It wasn’t a car back so at that seam/joint it would be factory pipe for me.

Hmm we’re talking about clamp between header and pipe?

I have custom exhaust; they cut the pipe and welded on. It wasn’t a car back so at that seam/joint it would be factory pipe for me.

It’s where the Y pipe comes down and heads to the back after the cats. Under the passengers side floor.

Dealership couldn't find anything as far as the noise goes so I might have figure it out myself. My noise is on the drivers side so I don't know if its the clamp you guys are referring to. 

Is it confirmed this clamp issue makes noise that sounds like marbles in can? I’m wondering if we are talking about same noise that’s been brought up numerous times.

6 minutes ago, geswek said:

Is it confirmed this clamp issue makes noise that sounds like marbles in can? I’m wondering if we are talking about same noise that’s been brought up numerous times.

Excellent description and I have that noise as well on startup but it's different than the exhaust leak. I can't remember what it actually was but I remember reading in another post here a while back that it was nothing to be concerned with. 

Edited by Marv88

3 hours ago, geswek said:

Which clamp are you referring to? Is this the connection point between the header and piping?

I have same noise and have for 2 years. Nobody knows what it is and at first I thought it was pinging from a Diablew tune.

The one behind the third cat here...

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.d6f4924e4fdf9755a1f62c16f40f6a03.JPG

9 minutes ago, Marv88 said:

Excellent description and I have that noise as well on startup but it's different than the exhaust leak. I can't remember what it actually was but I remember reading in another post here a while back that it was nothing to be concerned with. 

I have that marbles in can around 1500-1900 rpms with load (going up hill). It's really damn annoying and I can't figure it out. I've been told it's pre-detonation knock but when I look at logs I don't see a lot of knock reduction.

Just annoying and considering I plan to drive truck another 100k miles I'd like to not implode the engine. I've hammer hell out of Diablew concerning if it is his tune or not.

The one behind the third cat here...
IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.d6f4924e4fdf9755a1f62c16f40f6a03.JPG

Yes that’s the one at least that I had a issue with the sound could travel and it didn’t leak all the time so it could be.

53 minutes ago, mferry22 said:

Dealership couldn't find anything as far as the noise goes so I might have figure it out myself. My noise is on the drivers side so I don't know if its the clamp you guys are referring to. 

Probably not if it is on the drivers side m

I think there is more than one noise being discussed here. I have the exhaust leak noise on the passenger side  and the "marbles in the can" on the drivers side. I just made a clip of the sound on cold start up but don't know how to post it. 

Edited by Marv88

5 hours ago, Blk17Machinep said:

Our trucks are pos. Never buying GM again, a decade behind other manufacturers. 

A decade behind who?

20 minutes ago, Marv88 said:

I think there is more than one noise being discussed here. I have the exhaust leak noise on the passenger side  and the "marbles in the can" on the drivers side. I just made a clip of the sound on cold start up but don't know how to post it. 

Can you post it to IG?

I'll follow you -- I want to see if that's same.

Mine isn't at cold startup; it's when I'm driving and I go up hill and press on gas bit to about 1700ish (just before it shifts) and it starts sounding like someone is rattling a can full of marbles until truck downshifts and it goes away.