Exhaust leak sound while under load

I have been running 93 octane for about 5 tanks and I’ve not hear the rattling sound. It’s pretty much gone.

I have no ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, geswek said:

I have been running 93 octane for about 5 tanks and I’ve not hear the rattling sound. It’s pretty much gone.

I have no ideas.

So all you did was run the 93 and it went away?  You had the same one as me, driver's side by the left foot?

So all you did was run the 93 and it went away?  You had the same one as me, driver's side by the left foot?

It was driver side firewall and it sounded like someone rattling can with marbles. It happened when I put load on engine going up a grade.

I switched to 93 octane fuel and it stopped.

I ended up getting a 93 octane tune from Diablew and plan to just run 93 from now on.

I've only run 93 from top tier fuel stations, got rid of the flapper valve and use the range device and my truck still does it. Brought it in twice and dealer has no clue. Might try a different dealer but after that I'm going to punt. Maybe trade it in on a 2020 Bronco if its a 2 door and the top comes off.

• 2 weeks later...

I as well suffer from the "marbles in a can" noise coming from the driver's side firewall/under foot area. It sounds like it's right down by the parking brake/door speaker (which inexplicably blew, and now sounds awful). 

Curious if anyone has any updates on this or things to check other than the exhaust clamps. Also, where do you all find 93 octane gas? All the stations around where I live in the Redmond, Wa area only have up to 92 octane.

Cheers!

Evan

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, geswek said:

It was driver side firewall and it sounded like someone rattling can with marbles. It happened when I put load on engine going up a grade.

I switched to 93 octane fuel and it stopped.

I ended up getting a 93 octane tune from Diablew and plan to just run 93 from now on.

Update... I just filled my 8th tank of 93 this morning and the marbles are still rattling as loud as ever.  Baffles me that GM refuses to address this issue.  I've had enough and am seriously considering trading it in.

Update... I just filled my 8th tank of 93 this morning and the marbles are still rattling as loud as ever.  Baffles me that GM refuses to address this issue.  I've had enough and am seriously considering trading it in.

Is your truck tuned? By who?

I got mine to stop with 93.

I could never hear or produce it when I was stock.

Stopped into a dealer yesterday (not my normal trashcan dealer). Took their shop foreman on a ride and the truck was being quieter than normal. It was making the noise slightly but the guy couldn't here it. Probably depends a lot on your high range hearing loss. When I had the screeching TCM fixed 3 or so guys in the shop couldn't hear it so I took a younger sales guy for a ride and sure enough he said man that sound is annoying. 

Just picked up a mostly rust free 88 Dodge D250 last night. Needs some Carb work and a few small things. It is much smoother and rides better than the 28 year newer Silverado...Oh, the drive-line also doesn't clunk while downshifting. 

Chevy is getting pretty close to being traded for a nice Jeep GC or another Ram. 

Before you throw in the towel go to the Ram or Ford forums and lurk awhile. Just guessing but there will be a few over there threatening to leave and go to the others.

These are complex mechanisms being managed by complex systems of computers and sensors. I learned a long time ago in many instances I know more about some of these things than some dealer mechanics. And Like any field some just don't belong in that job. If you feel a dealer mechanic is not addressing go to a different one and try again. Dealers do have online reviews also.

An old trick way back was to take a tube or copper pipe and put it up to your ear while it is making noise and move the end around to uni-directionally locate airborne noise. To locate internal mechanical noises get a stethoscope with a metal rod probe. HF has them for a few bucks.

My old Furd had an exhaust flange gasket leak when it was cold that sounded like a lifter tick. Once it warmed up it would stop. Wasnt worth fixing it.

Edited by Pearl2017

I have tightened bolt all over the exhaust. Problem is mine only appears when hot. Other times it will go away. I swear it’s something either inside the cat, transmission, or fuel system. This basically means I have no clue and apparently neither does the techs I’ve visited. 

I had service at the dealer for an oil change for the 3rd time. For the 3rd time I've complained about the same thing. They finally said there was an exhaust sound coming from the manifold area on the driver side but GM said it was normal for these trucks. Somedays, it drives me bonkers.