Throttle Body Pictures w/ Elite Catch Can & Clean Side Separator

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still dont buy into the catch can hype.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

As if these videos aren't enough proof? All that liquid would have been sucked into the motor.

This:

And this:

As if these videos aren't enough proof? All that liquid would have been sucked into the motor.

This:

And this:

I dont see how that's an issue. I have yet to see how any of that actually impacts the engine.

I dont see how that's an issue. I have yet to see how any of that actually impacts the engine.

Oil & hydrocarbon fuel vapors coat the tube, valve, intake, whatever, oil which contains hydrocarbons or hydrogen and carbon "think WD40 & dust", time & heat/cold temp... cycles cause it to harden carbon forms and builds. Its not rocket science, anything you can do to reduce it or eliminate it is best.

I used to pull Mercedes Benz cylinder heads for GDI engines, all day everyday for carbon build up on the intake valves "both valves", replaced heads at 24- 30K miles like clock work, along with cleaning a nasty throttle body. MB even uses 2 plugs in the cylinder to help reduce unburnt fuel and to improve emissions.... if you can't stop oil from coating the valves its going to be a issue.

Primary Impacts of excessive carbon

• Misfire
  • low compression as the valves could NOT seal.
  • fouled plugs

falls under the same concept as the old EGR valves and tubes would get clogged up with carbon, guys would replace the valve but not check the tube that was completely blocked off with carbon so it would come back again.

Better question is have you ever worked on a engine, esp...diagnose drivability issues?

Oil & hydrocarbon fuel vapors coat the tube, valve, intake, whatever, oil which contains hydrocarbons or hydrogen and carbon "think WD40 & dust", time & heat/cold temp... cycles cause it to harden carbon forms and builds. Its not rocket science, anything you can do to reduce it or eliminate it is best.

I used to pull Mercedes Benz cylinder heads for GDI engines, all day everyday for carbon build up on the intake valves "both valves", replaced heads at 24- 30K miles like clock work, along with cleaning a nasty throttle body. MB even uses 2 plugs in the cylinder to help reduce unburnt fuel and to improve emissions.... if you can't stop oil from coating the valves its going to be a issue.

Primary Impacts of excessive carbon

• Misfire
  • low compression as the valves could NOT seal.
  • fouled plugs
falls under the same concept as the old EGR valves and tubes would get clogged up with carbon, guys would replace the valve but not check the tube that was completely blocked off with carbon so it would come back again.

Better question is have you ever worked on a engine, esp...diagnose drivability issues?

Not really,

Kind of a douchy move questioning my mechanical skills when i am clearly here to learn more about the subject.

I am reading more into it but i have yet to see any hard evidence that on THESE trucks it's making an impact.

I agree, If it is such a problem don't you think the engineers at GM would do something to address it? For example just design it into the system when they design the engines? Or do all the people adding the catch can know something GM engineers don't?

Still dont buy into the catch can hype.

Not really,

Kind of a douchy move questioning my mechanical skills when i am clearly here to learn more about the subject.

I am reading more into it but i have yet to see any hard evidence that on THESE trucks it's making an impact.

Its all a matter of perspective.

Its "douchy" as you say, when you could have taken time to research, instead of posting these comments, esp... when other members suggested the engine is going to ingest all the oil & moisture caught by the can.

GM is not the only manf... running GDI. You need to widen your gaze, there is plenty of evidence on other forums. On the GM local side Corvette guys discuses this all the time even with dry sump oil systems.

adding this last bit,

Experienced guys or heavy use use of air compressor's, folks use in-line water separators to trap moisture/water to keep water out of line & air tools so they reduce rusting internally, adding a oil catch can is the same basic principle.

Its all a matter of perspective.

Its "douchy" as you say, when you could have taken time to research, instead of posting these comments, esp... when other members suggested the engine is going to ingest all the oil & moisture caught by the can.

GM is not the only manf... running GDI. You need to widen your gaze, there is plenty of evidence on other forums. On the GM local side Corvette guys discuses this all the time even with dry sump oil systems.

adding this last bit,

Experienced guys or heavy use use of air compressor's, folks use in-line water separators to trap moisture/water to keep water out of line & air tools so they reduce rusting internally, adding a oil catch can is the same basic principle.

While all is good with what you have posted and i do agree with most of what you say, i have faith in GM un like most people that its not that big of an issue.

Generally the Internet likes to overhype all sorts of small things.

I will see about pulling my intake off since i am at about 60K mikes without a can and compair with what others have posted with similar mileage with a can and maybe go from their.

But thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I agree, If it is such a problem don't you think the engineers at GM would do something to address it? For example just design it into the system when they design the engines? Or do all the people adding the catch can know something GM engineers don't?

The reason they don't add one on is because a catch can is another layer of maintenance. Most people who drive cars today just want to get in and go. They will fill it with gas, and change the oil when the little dash light comes on. They don't want to have to open the hood every 1000 miles to empty a can with oil in it and get their hands all dirty.

I will see about pulling my intake off since i am at about 60K mikes without a can and compair with what others have posted with similar mileage with a can and maybe go from their.

Please do pull your manifold and take pictures. You need to sort of lay on top of the engine to get good pics but it's worth it for documentation purposes. Trust me, your valves will look like crap. And yes, it is affecting your power. If you took your truck to a dyno when relatively new, I'd encourage you to go back and see what it's putting out now.

In this thread they found a Corvette with only 20K on it (and it's valves didn't look all that bad) gained 19 RWHP after $1200 worth of professional cleaning: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/3782881-wanted-c7-w-20k-plus-miles-for-test.html .

If somebody in Florida with a high-mileage truck would like a free cleaning and dyno, I'd recommend contacting that guy to see if he'll do it as he's asking for more test vehicles.

As I've said a million times, I'm not saying a catch-can will prevent all of the buildup, maybe not even most of it. Some of it, however, is a pretty reasonable expectation. The idea one can pour a couple of gallons of oil into the intake over the life of the vehicle without any consequences at all is wishful thinking to the absurd.

Catchcan is totally engine dependent. I have kept everything my E2x has pulled thus far in one pop bottle and might have 8 ounces in there..... with at the most 2 tablespoons of it being oil. The rest is basically fuel and water..... I am pretty sure I could run without one and basically see the same amount of buildup in given time as I would with it. I put mine on at 12000 miles and my intake was mostly dry..... now at 20000 it's still dry.... still a film on the back of the throttle body though..... nothing is perfect.

• 2 months later...

Archived