Rough idle when coming to stop

Just picked up my 2016 Silverado cc z71 with 5.3l and have noticed the engine has a rough idle when coming to a stop. Or when I'm at idle and am using the brakes. Anyone else have this issue. My truck has 104 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 2015Z71

It's most likely not broken, just a characteristic of the 5.3 GDI engine. They all do it to some extent, some being worse than others. It almost feels like a miss at times. I tried different grades of gas and techron and nothing really made a difference. Dealer said they have had multiple complaints on the same problem when I brought it up to them. There is no fix according to the dealer. Others on this forum have installed a tuner and bumped the idle RPM up a little and smoothed it out. Next time your at a stop and its idling rough, give it just a little bit of gas and I bet it will disappear.

• Like 1

I will take it in and have the service department look at it. It has already had the onstar module replaced. I drove a loaner for 2 months and it never did this.

It's most likely not broken, just a characteristic of the 5.3 GDI engine. They all do it to some extent, some being worse than others. It almost feels like a miss at times. I tried different grades of gas and techron and nothing really made a difference. Dealer said they have had multiple complaints on the same problem when I brought it up to them. There is no fix according to the dealer. Others on this forum have installed a tuner and bumped the idle RPM up a little and smoothed it out. Next time your at a stop and its idling rough, give it just a little bit of gas and I bet it will disappear.

This couldn't be further from the truth. My 2015 idles so smooth that I cannot even feel it running. That's one of my favorite things about this truck. There's no sensation of an engine running at all hardly, coupled with the super quiet exhaust. It's very comfortable to drive long distances that way and not fatiguing.

Yeah like I said the 2016 double cab the dealer have me for two months never did this. So I will be taking it in next week.

should idle smooth - I would use it for at least 1000 miles before bringing it in. Run it HARD to break it in in that time as well. Imean full throttle to seat the rings and lots of stop and go with full throttle intervals

Mine shakes some while at a stop but in gear. The tach is just below 500. Very annoying and I've had passengers ask me about it.

I took it into service when I had the first oil change and all the advisor told me was to get used to it as its normal.

Are you me?

You just described exactly what I'm having AND I had to drive a loaner for the last 2 months that didn't do this at all. :lol:

Yea.. try this out though, mine will idle rough (like.. omg is this thing going to stall out?) rough in DRIVE and ONLY when warm. If its cold, no problem, if its rolling, even a little bit? no problem, reverse? no problem. ONLY drive.

Is that that what you're seeing?

You should see the water bottle I keep in my cup holder. It's a trip.

If its nothing actually WRONG.. I can put up with this, my concern is that there's some component thats gonna blow at 60,001 miles and put me like $20k in the hole for a new engine.

• Like 2

Putting it in drive changes the load on the engine changes. The ECU changes a lot of parameters in response.

Your engine isn't about to blow up. 75% of the vehicles I've ever owned have had a vibration at warm idle, especially while in drive. Honda is wrapped up in a rough idle 'controversy' right now.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1098900_rough-idle-complaints-roll-in-for-2015-cr-v-honda-working-on-fix

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/31321/honda/cr-v/vibration-issue-with-2015-honda-cr-v

This couldn't be further from the truth. My 2015 idles so smooth that I cannot even feel it running. That's one of my favorite things about this truck. There's no sensation of an engine running at all hardly, coupled with the super quiet exhaust. It's very comfortable to drive long distances that way and not fatiguing.

What could not be farther from the truth? Open your eyes and look around on the forums for this very issue. It is a common issue with the 5.3 GDI platforms. One "fix" GM has come up with, is to install small washers between the engine mounts and the frame, and if you have read, most have claimed it does not fix the issue. Chalk it up to yet another quality control issue that GM cannot solve due to the amount of poor designed variables involved.

• Like 1