2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

56 minutes ago, Skeld said:

I may do that.  Found the PDF earlier in the the thread.  It is comical how they probably know this stuff but they will refuse to agree with any evidence you might have.

They know exactally whats going on, but the dance must go on. I have a service manager calling me a liar with expletives on text about my recent oil return line leak, then a retraction 10 min later... great customer service .

My dealer was good. Even talked to mechanic about the fix before he did it. Pretty crazy the act stupid. You should be able to reach in and feel under the nut on the steering box. Or maybe you can look over the tire at the box to see if it's unscrewed. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have sensed a little wandering at speeds over 60 and am not sure yet if it is real or imagined.  My girlfriend has driven the truck and does not think there is a problem.  Also, my other car is a C7 Corvette which has very responsive steering so maybe I am exaggerating the difference between the two and if I had not been following this thread I wouldn't even think I had a problem with the truck.

I just had the second free service done at about 10k miles.  I mentioned to the service desk that I thought the truck was wandering and asked them to look for anything obvious.  You can see by the picture how seriously they took it.  It does not do a lot to build the faith in my dealer!

Scan2.jpg

Edited by Mike Barber

If you get on a straight away and check up on a line and hold the wheel straight you will see if you have a problem. They all wonder but the last two trucks I had would turn after a little drift.  What I mean is my truck would have crossed my two lanes, the median and the two lanes on the other side of the highway progressively stronger as you let it go (making a left turn). I knew if I could bring it to the salt flats it would have made a circle with the wheel being in the straight.  Most people who are not looking for it do not notice because they are constantly checking the wheel.  It is not a problem if you are constantly checking the wheel but it will leave you in the on-coming lane if you leave your guard down.  Give that a try to be sure because I had MANY near collisions.  

Took mine in for the 4th time at 22,000 miles.  I can go about 5-6K then 4-5" of play all at once.  Ordered 2018, should be here in March.  Shame they don't still have my color!!!!  Good luck everyone.

Okay, so let me throw this one at y'all. My 2016 Chevy 2500HD Dmax had the steering wondering issue shortly after I purchased the truck back in late 2016/early 2017. I took it back to the dealer and they performed the TSB for the pit-man arm slack adjustment. To be quite honest, it really didn't seem to make much difference. However, I know the wondering issue in the steering can sometimes be highly subjective even to myself. I mean, I can hold my lane on the highway with the truck no problem. But then again, I am used to driving a 36ft Diesel pusher motor home. So what might seem fine to me might seem excessive to others. I have learned that when I put the truck into tow-haul mode, that would automatically stiffen the steering which sometimes I did whether or not I was pulling a trailer or the boat just to feel the difference in the steering wheel. Now fast forward to today. While driving the truck today, I was backing out of a parking spot, the steering wheel was as easy to turn as grandma's prius. (which BTY is, in fact, what GM wanted to accomplish with the digital assisted steering) Then all of a sudden it felt like the steering went back to what I call the "stiffer" mode all by itself. There are no DTC's, after several engine restarts and ignition cycles and turning off and on tow/haul mode, still the same thing, stiff steering. Now, it is kind of ironic because I actually LIKE the stiffer feel to the steering wheel. While driving in a straight line it also just makes the truck seem like it wants to track better. However, when in the turns, you know it takes a little more effort to do so. Us big armed guys have been spoiled by it! But as with everything now it leaves me worrying about my Chevy again. I hate going to the dealer. But I know this might be a necessary eval again! Has anyone else experienced this same issue yet???

• 2 weeks later...

Go back and find the Technical Service Bulletin. Page 33 or 34. See if this is what your steering is doing. On this issue the steering box lash adjustment unscrew and the steering gets really loose. They have a fix and it worked on mine. I have about 11 or 12,000 since the fix. It's tight still. Read the tsb and take a copy with you to dealer. There's also a few computer flashes after the fix. Good luck. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2017 at 11:31 PM, Squeaky_wheel said:

Even though a new steering box may not be the final solution to this problem the only way you will get your original replaced is if the dealer requests it from GM tech support. My dealer did it by stating the latest TSB (D) did not work. I am convinced the problem is related to the digital assist because the looseness/tightness of the wheel changes with speed. For me it becomes loose between 45-72 mph. Outside of that range the wheel is a much tighter feeling. If it was the nut backing out speed would not change the feeling in the wheel. But maybe yours is different but I doubt it.

I have the same problem and truck was manufactured in Flint.  I initially had 7" or more play in the steering, especially at higher speeds.  As for the steering box replacement fixing the issue - Nope, it doesn't.  I had mine replaced with only 1815 miles on it and still had the problem. To potentially help others here,  this what my tech wrote: "Steering gearbox has excessive movement in input shaft before output shaft begins to move. Gear damage within gearbox.  Replaced hydraulic recirculating ball steering gear replacement 7421780."  Tech said my gears were "trashed" but they never looked up or referenced any TSB (this must be a common problem so why didn't he know about the TSB?).  Truck was warrantied and cost me nothing - BUT, it wasn't fixed.  The truck was stock with no modifications.

At 3650 miles I took it back in and was convinced by the tech that since I had lifted it that I damaged both the idler and pitman arms and that they needed to be replaced - this is AFTER he test drove it and reported back (on the service order) that he didn't find the looseness that I described, and, that I wanted the two arms replaced.  Replaced both on my nickel b/c of the "now not in warranty" issue and $1000 later it still has the same issue.  I had the guys that lifted my truck mark the idler and pitman before I removed them to make sure that they were from my truck (I asked for them to be returned so I could have them inspected).  Although the tech told me that this was the "reason" I felt the steering was loose, there was absolutely nothing wrong with them other than a little rust.  I need to add that the tech told me that "some looseness" was common for a 2500HD.  

I've been driving it, but only around town, since and now have 9000 on it but will be taking it in this weekend to have them find the problem and fix it - even if I have to pay out of pocket.  I'm making a list of all the suggested reasons from this board and will give them to the service manager to have them explore each issue.  Does anyone know if digital assist can be disabled, or has anyone tried that?  

On 1/10/2018 at 9:43 AM, trpower said:

Bring the TSB about the loose steering. I now have almost 10,000 miles on my truck since the fix was done. Still tight.

Which TSB?  I saw reference to a few different ones on here.  Where can I get a copy?  I have the same issue even after having my entire steering box replaced and the factory idler and pitman arms.  Thanks

On 2/15/2018 at 9:53 PM, HammerHead0313 said:

Nube question.  What is TSB? I'm in a 2017 6.0 gasser and my stering pulls left and has a little slop. I just figured the alignment was off and planned on taking it in, dident realize how wide spread this issue is. 

Probably alignment issue. See attached TSB - removes 2017 from the bulletin.

PIT5501F.pdf

• Like 1