2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

On 9/25/2017 at 5:51 AM, sdeeter19555 said:

I've been told car manufacturers add a little pull to the right in case you fall asleep, you drift off the road instead of into traffic. I doubt this is true, just what a couple old time mechanics told me back in the 90s.

I was asking a younger friend (in his 30s) who is a mechanic. He had heard the same. My auto shop was back in the mid to late 70s, so I'm not sure if I was ever told that. Our teacher (a former GM district service manager) was a pretty decent guy and used to fill us in on a lot of stuff that never made it into the text books.

I have about 5000 miles on mine since the fix on the steering. No issues. Drives great. Steers straight. I  think most roads crown from center to the shoulder. So letting loose of the wheel it may pull to right. I know here in Idaho the highways are pretty sloped for run off. I am very happy with our 2016 1 ton duramax. Pleasure to drive. 

I just took my 2016 2500HD Duramax in for the same thing. ( A lot of play in steering) 56,000 miles on it.

Toke it to a local Chevy dealer, they told me they found:

Steering lash adjuster was loose.

Need to adjust steering.

Apply lock tite to adjuster and verify proper operation.

Damage may be present inside gear.

Need to adjust and verify.

?????? Is this right?

It's going to take 8 hours to fix and over $600

Nothing mention about the Digital Steering Assist?

Why wouldn't this be covered under Warranty?

The fix they do with the loctite on the lash adjustment shaft you can do your self. I think warrenty is 36000 miles. It's been a big issue . Mine done at 17000 seems fixed now. I believe who ever assembled the steering box didn't torque the nut properly at the factory. My steering didn't get loose until 40 miles of a washboard road in the mountains. Look up the TSB on it. Save yourself some money. Or push them to repair it under warrenty. The fix takes a few hours. 

Edited by trpower

The fix they do with the loctite on the lash adjustment shaft you can do your self. I think warrenty is 36000 miles. It's been a big issue . Mine done at 17000 seems fixed now. I believe who ever assembled the steering box didn't torque the nut properly at the factory. My steering didn't get loose until 40 miles of a washboard road in the mountains. Look up the TSB on it. Save yourself some money. Or push them to repair it under warrenty. The fix takes a few hours. 
Getting the lash right is a trial and error deal...we had to do this with the older Dodge trucks.

Too loose, you have steering wheel play; too tight and it will have a tight spot and/or not return to center. We found the best way was either box off the truck or to at least have the front end in the air so the steering components have very little load on them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This problem is that the adjusting shaft unscrew with the nylon nut locked on the shaft. So when you or the dealer does the fix they crank the lash adjusting shaft back down with the loctite on the theads and under the nut. Lash adjustment is back where it was when new.  The TSB #  PIT5501E has detailed pictures . If this is whats wrong with your steering box. 

This problem is that the adjusting shaft unscrew with the nylon nut locked on the shaft. So when you or the dealer does the fix they crank the lash adjusting shaft back down with the loctite on the theads and under the nut. Lash adjustment is back where it was when new.  The TSB #  PIT5501E has detailed pictures . If this is whats wrong with your steering box. 
You have to remove the nut to apply locktight, no?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The problem is not the nut turning . The threaded adjustment shaft unscrews. So the fix is clean the threaded shaft with brake cleaner, add loctite to threads and under the nut.You mark the nut to adjustment shaft with a scribed line so the nut doesn't turn . Adjustment doesn't change. 

www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=199083

Mine was loose for about 200 miles. The warrenty will be extended on it because it was fixed at 17000. At least that's what the dealer said. You can look at the adjustment shaft and see if its backed out? Then there's some computer re flashes? 

Edited by trpower
added sentence

• 2 weeks later...

So my 2016 had the service power steering msg show up twice one day last week. brought it to the dealer today and they said they had to contact an Engineer to find out what should be done. I have a copy of PIE0430. My truck doesn't appear to be leaking from the steering gear and I do not notice excessive lash. When the msg comes on the steering feels like its over assisted (easy to steer). When I restart the truck and there's no msg the steering feels fine again. Anyone had these symptoms with theirs?

2 hours ago, zert100 said:

So my 2016 had the service power steering msg show up twice one day last week. brought it to the dealer today and they said they had to contact an Engineer to find out what should be done. I have a copy of PIE0430. My truck doesn't appear to be leaking from the steering gear and I do not notice excessive lash. When the msg comes on the steering feels like its over assisted (easy to steer). When I restart the truck and there's no msg the steering feels fine again. Anyone had these symptoms with theirs?

That sounds like a total different issue than the steering lash looseness that I had. Reading the DTC code in the TSB that you supplIed shows a sensor issue. I do know they had a few flashes after they fixed my steering they preformed. Maybe one for your issue ? Good luck. 

1 hour ago, trpower said:

That sounds like a total different issue than the steering lash looseness that I had. Reading the DTC code in the TSB that you supplIed shows a sensor issue. I do know they had a few flashes after they fixed my steering they preformed. Maybe one for your issue ? Good luck. 

completely off-topic, but does your username have anything to do with pontiacs?