2016 Silverado 2500HD Steering woes

• 2 months later...

I just joined to see if I can get some answers. The steering assist on our 2016 is acting up again. The entire unit was replaced around 20K. Now have 40K and its doing it again. Normal feel at low speeds, get around 50 and its so light it wanders all over with 1-2 inch of play. Around 75 it starts getting a heavier feel and the slop gets less. 

My question is,,,I DONT GIVE A DAMM ABOUT WARRANTY, is there as way to replace this unit with a 2015 or something. We have 2015 3500 High Country and its as good as you can ask for.

Anyone out there do their own fix. I have lowered it, but a Banks on it and extra fuel pump. Finally got it where it needs to be and now this again..

11 hours ago, bobzbikz said:

I just joined to see if I can get some answers. The steering assist on our 2016 is acting up again. The entire unit was replaced around 20K. Now have 40K and its doing it again. Normal feel at low speeds, get around 50 and its so light it wanders all over with 1-2 inch of play. Around 75 it starts getting a heavier feel and the slop gets less. 

My question is,,,I DONT GIVE A DAMM ABOUT WARRANTY, is there as way to replace this unit with a 2015 or something. We have 2015 3500 High Country and its as good as you can ask for.

Anyone out there do their own fix. I have lowered it, but a Banks on it and extra fuel pump. Finally got it where it needs to be and now this again..

I think if you read thru the thread, there is an aftermarket shop that rebuilds these steering boxes.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2018 at 2:08 PM, i82much said:

Did we ever conclusively determine whether this issue is caused or exacerbated by the digital steering assist?  

I'm thinking it was a manufacturing defect within the steering box (or during its assembly) used w/ the DSA. I don't think anyone has posted on here having a similar issue w/ a non-DSA box.

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I'm thinking it was a manufacturing defect within the steering box (or during its assembly) used w/ the DSA. I don't think anyone has posted on here having a similar issue w/ a non-DSA box.

thank you, good to know.  maybe being a cheapskate will work out for me this one time!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 7:51 AM, stadt11 said:

Sad to say, 18k miles after getting PIT5501F done, my steering is loose again :(  Going to make appt to get it done again, or is there a newer update to this?

I assume you had the fix with the loctite on the steering box adjustment screw. Can you tell if the screw has moved out again. Can you see it thru the wheel well or feel under the nut. I now have 18,000 miles on mine since fix and still tight. 

On 8/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, trpower said:

I assume you had the fix with the loctite on the steering box adjustment screw. Can you tell if the screw has moved out again. Can you see it thru the wheel well or feel under the nut. I now have 18,000 miles on mine since fix and still tight. 

Yes, adjustment screw, I took it in today so we'll see what they find.  I didn't notice if it was backed out at all, it wasn't marked.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, stadt11 said:

Yes, adjustment screw, I took it in today so we'll see what they find.  I didn't notice if it was backed out at all, it wasn't marked.

Got the truck back today, issue was a worn idler arm, replaced under warranty and steering is as tight as expected.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I took my truck into Covert Chevy Bastrop TX March of 17 for the wandering steering. They "fixed" it under warranty. The steering was never back to new feeling after the repair, but i need my truck daily for work so I kidded myself into thinking it was good again . Flash forward to November of this year (2018, 91,000 miles): The steering developed a clunk when turning the wheel. It was making me nuts so I took it back to Covert, Bastrop. Told them what the problem was when I made the appointment, told them what the problem was when I dropped the truck off on Monday morning and wished for the best. Well, on Wednesday of the same week the service manager (Danny) calls and again asked me what the problem is and also asks about my check engine light complaint (wrong customer). Are you kidding? I tell them a third time what the problem is. He called me back later in the day and says its "fixed" all it needed was an alignment. $89. So me and my teenage boys go out to pick it up, halfway home I realize the steering wheel is off center and the clunk it still present. I pull over and ask my boys if they can hear the clunk. The all reply yes. It was late and I was upset. I drive home call Covert and tell Danny that they must have not taken me seriously and that even my teenage boys heard the issue! They had the truck for 3 days, remember? Didn't look at it until the third day, remember? Whats the point of an appointment? He says "well you can bring it back in". At that point i decided to take it to a 3rd party mechanic I trusted. Showed him the problem and within 15 minutes he diagnosed a worn steering gear and worn lower steering shaft. He quoted me $2100 to replace the parts. I called Covert Danny back and was told "well we would charge you $2300 for the same repairs" I asked what exactly did they fix last march and he says "we replaced the pitman arm" he also tells me they "skipped PIT5501because they were told it didn't fix the problem of the wandering steering". So they did not tighten the lash adjustment and loctite it as it should have been and THAT caused excessive wear in my steering gear. Covert Danny is unsure. I say well it sucks to be me to which he says "it sucks to be all of us sometimes" Never did he offer to come get the truck and re-diagnose or even offer to match the 3rd party mechanic price. So I had it fixed by my trusted 3rd part mechanic for $2100. Then I request reimbursement from GM. After a month of back and forth they offered me a...wait for it...i-tunes gift card for my loyalty. Priceless. Between my truck and the wife Tahoe I have spent over $100K on Chevy and with Covert Chevy.  Covert Bastrop was lazy and unprofessional. The steering was not fixed right the first time which led to the failure of parts. This is a recall issue. Ive had it.

Chad Garrett

That sure is a crappy service dept. My was fixed at 17,000 with the locktite repair and so far it has been good at 41,000 now. Keeping my fingers crossed.  I personally think we need to verify any work done. I checked my lash adjustment nut and the blue locktit is visible. Sounds like that Chevy dealer needs a new service manager. I always make the service manager go for a test drive after repairs. Shame we can't trust people after what we spend on these trucks. My only gripe now is a shot tailgate bushing that allows the tailgate to drop slowly. That's gonna be 35 to 40 for a cappy design piece of plastic.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you read the PIT 5501f it shows pictures, and how they do the fix. Mines still good at 42,000.

If it's still covered  don't worry about it. My neighbor bought  a truck same time as me and his never loosened up. If you do it yourself and box has an issue might cause you some headaches with dealer. You will know in a hurry if it gets loose. Scary. My opinion is it was never torqued properly at factory.  Shouldn't have come loose?