Dealer Installed OEM Cab Roof Marker Lights. Question?

The square holes aren't that big of a deal, they're just round holes filed square. They're not that difficult, but the location of them on the cab roof makes them a bit difficult to properly layout & drill. I'm a tool & die maker & I'd be leery of trying it on my own truck.

I imagine upfitters are well versed in this kind of work. But I have to agree w/ you I wouldn't want just "anyone" doing it. Mess up the location of the lamps or hole spacing & you've got a mess "up there".

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2016 at 7:36 AM, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

Im in the middle town area healey chevy already said no and i have the factory 15+ clearance lights and harness, and does chevy still honor the warranty or will they try to void it?

Bump...I'm in Middletown area too, did you ever get this done? Ive been looking for a local shop and havent had much luck

On 1/31/2017 at 9:26 PM, revrnd said:

The square holes aren't that big of a deal, they're just round holes filed square. They're not that difficult, but the location of them on the cab roof makes them a bit difficult to properly layout & drill. I'm a tool & die maker & I'd be leery of trying it on my own truck.

Or a square 'chassis punch'. 

Like this one from Greenlee:

I have the Recon lights and there are no holes except a few screw holes.  They have been up there for 4 years with not a single problem.  They are brighter too.  I would not punch holes in the roof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, MotionMan said:

I have the Recon lights and there are no holes except a few screw holes.  They have been up there for 4 years with not a single problem.  They are brighter too.  I would not punch holes in the roof.

do you have any pictures of them and any part numbers you can share

On 4/14/2019 at 9:59 PM, MotionMan said:

Thanks man, was looking into them. How much of a pain in the @ss is it wiring it? Not looking forward to pulling the head liner

• 10 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 9:59 PM, MotionMan said:

How are these affixed and wired if there are no holes?

Keep in mind dealers don't often employee people who are competent at doing things like this and you might live to regret letting a dealers flunkies install something that a experienced body shop should do. 

Reminds me of what happened to a neighbor lady some years ago.  She wanted a new window put in his older house and the estimate was in the thousands of dollars for the window installers.  So her half-ass brother 'n' law, a handyman said he would do it for much less if she bought the windo.  Long story short, he butchered the install and when it rained water was leaking into her living room ruining the carpet.  Cost here 2x as much to have it done right the 2nd time.     

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

another question for those that have done this was their any barriers in the way of where the cab lights mount up and does anyone have inside  pictures of the roof mounting area  as the body shop their might be a roof support in the way is this true?

another question for those that have done this was their any barriers in the way of where the cab lights mount up and does anyone have inside  pictures of the roof mounting area  as the body shop their might be a roof support in the way is this true?

If you mount them where the factory lights go there is nothing in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't used the lights that had square holes when I had them installed on my old 2015 silverado I sold. I used the older ones that only required circle holes and dealership did it without a problem

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I don't really want to drag up some old post. You can see I'm posting a few things already, due to my brother in law buying this 2016 2500HD WT. It is an off lease and can tell is has a few odd things like a lot of old off-lease work trucks. So, it has the cab lights. It has the factory switch on the overhead panel for them. The switch seems like it has no purpose at all, that's my question for anyone that has the factory roof lights I guess. They come on with the headlights (I guess park lights too, need to check). But it's odd that upper switch seems like it doesn't do anything.

Gill(I have a few other questions about the truck too, has some weird stuff)