How-To: A10 Inside RearView Auto Dimming Mirror Conversion (DD8)

pgamboa

Is the left hand a pillar trim just snap on? Any recommended removal install procedure or tips?

Yep. Just two retaining clips similar to what is behind the bezel. There is a tether strap that needs to be removed but that's after the pull the trim away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my terminals and wire does the terminals just push in and click on the mirror plug?

I made this video for another member but the concepts are the same.

Hope it helps. Let me know.

https://youtu.be/9kRSKIZRvoc

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I have been receiving requests for a "Harness" to complete this mod. So....

I am now offering harness to support this mod. It will be a pre-made harness with the appropriate terminals crimped on each end, wrapped in automotive harness tape.

Pricing will be set at $75 shipped. For existing customers who have purchased a Custom PnP Harness from me for the side mirror upgrade, I will offer a $15 discount. I will be updating my drawings to support this installation in the next few days. Instructions will include terminal insertion. I may even make a video on it.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Bottom line up front: this upgrade is fantastic and pgamboa can make it happen for you!

I just finished upgrading my 2017 Silverado (4WD All Star Edition) mirrors (side and rearview) from DL8 to DL3 using pgamboa's harnesses and assistance and they are fantastic!

Just to reiterate: if you've got the standard mirrors and upgrade you gain:

· Turn signals in side mirrors

· Power folding side mirrors

· Puddle lamps on side mirrors

· Auto dim driver and rear-view mirrors (if you do the harness and rear-view mirror upgrade as well as the side mirrors)

You will need:

· DL3 Side mirrors (I bought mine from pgamboa)

· Rear view mirror with autodim capability (pgamboa found an ebay auction for one for me)

· Power folding switch (found this on ebay myself using Part # 23154702)

· Custom door harnesses from pgamboa

· Custom rear-view mirror harness from pgamboa

· Basic tools (screwdrivers, ratchet set) and a set of trim tools (see link below)

I was dubious about getting this done and everything working, I don't have a garage and am one of those "only works on cars when something's broke" kind of guys. I hadn't taken a door panel apart since I worked on my '90 Silverado like....15 years ago. I cannot stress enough how straightforward the whole thing was working with pgamboa. I bought a set of side mirrors and three custom harnesses (for both sides and rear view) from him and he had everything shipped out in less than 24 hours, with everything in my hands in four days, damn near Amazon fast. It took me about two hours to do the driver mirror and harness install given my inexperience, but every time I ran into a snag I just shot him a text and he set me straight. Passenger side I knocked out in a half hour, and rear-view mirror took me 2-3 mainly because I struggled getting the X61A junction harness accessible to add in the new terminals. At one point, I broke one of the terminal leads and pgamboa just mailed me some extras to get me moving again. Everything is working and I couldn’t be happier.

If you’re a novice at this kind of work it might take you a little longer but the upgrade is VERY doable with his help, and if you’re more experienced you could knock it all out in an afternoon. If you buy pgamboa’s custom harnesses everything is literally drop in. I HIGHLY recommend going through pgamboa for everything, mirrors and power fold switch included if he has them on hand because if you run into any issues he will make it right.

Advice wise: the zip tie on the wire bundle you need to access in the X61A box doesn’t have to be cut, you can pull it loose since it connects like a trim panel retainer clip and it’ll come down far enough to work on. That one tiny little thing is what cost me the most time on this entire install. Also, a set of trim tools is essential, I used these and they are great:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I did this upgrade last year. I upgraded the mirrors and bought the new harnesses. Everything worked great except my drivers mirror doesn’t dim. Today I decided to pull up the diagram showing what pins to put in which location but it is telling me the file doesn’t exist anymore. 

I feel feel like I put one of the pins in the wrong location. 

Can you help me out? 

Edited by wooley
  • Like 1

I did this upgrade last year. I upgraded the mirrors and bought the new harnesses. Everything worked great except my drivers mirror doesn’t dim. Today I decided to pull up the diagram showing what pins to put in which location but it is telling me the file doesn’t exist anymore. 

Can you help me out? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t89svbt39rukhva/A10%20Mirror%20Connector%20Reference.pdf?dl=0

Had to make some changes. But here you go.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t89svbt39rukhva/A10%20Mirror%20Connector%20Reference.pdf?dl=0

Had to make some changes. But here you go.

I checked everything out and all of my terminals are pinned correctly. I may have a bad door mirror. I DID buy it second hand.. 

Is it possible I may have some wires crossed? My rear view mirror dims but the door mirror doesn’t. 

• Like 1

I checked everything out and all of my terminals are pinned correctly. I may have a bad door mirror. I DID buy it second hand.. 

Is it possible I may have some wires crossed? My rear view mirror dims but the door mirror doesn’t. 

Did you get the door harnesses from me?