2016 6 speed transmission downshifting.

Downshifting from 5-4, 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 on 6 speed   

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

Just wanted to get a poll going about this. I initially brought up my concerns in the thread below but would like to know how many others are experiencing this. When coming to a stop I really notice my downshifts along with a rise in the RPM's a couple hundred. This happens on every downshift. Mine is a 5.3 engine.

Original thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192589-2016-silverado-6-speed-transmission-downshift-4-3-3-2-2-1/

Thanks for participating!

Edited by nluchau

Mine's older, but here is what I noticed...it depends on how hard you are stopping.

The harder I stop, the more aggressive the downshifting; coasting to a stop, I can't even tell it shifted.

I think it's also possibly a learned computer trait, tailored your driving style after a while. I doubt you will find two that shift exactly the same for that reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mine's older, but here is what I noticed...it depends on how hard you are stopping.

The harder I stop, the more aggressive the downshifting; coasting to a stop, I can't even tell it shifted.

I think it's also possibly a learned computer trait, tailored your driving style after a while. I doubt you will find two that shift exactly the same for that reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for this info! Good to know.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd bring this back up but I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse. I brought it to the dealership and had the transmission guy ride with me and he could feel the firm downshifts starting at about 30mph. There were 3 firm downshifts that occurred before I stop. He checked for any updates..none, he then reset the TCM along with the taps to see if something weird was in the memory. I've put on about 600 miles since then and the same symptoms are present. I guess it's something I'll have to try hard to get used to.

if anyone else reading this wants to take the poll that would be great!

I voted for "I don't notice my downshifts at all when coming to a stop," but as mentioned above it depends on how hard I stop, whether I am hauling or towing a heavy load, etc. If I really get on the brakes, especially when hauling or towing, the downshifts are more firm.

Nope. Only thing I noticed is it doesn't downshift as much as want when I accelerate hard or adjust as I fluctuate the accelerator during acceleration. And it only does it sometimes. So it's probably my fault.

• 2 months later...

This is still bugging the heck out of me and the dealership is just telling me its because of the clutch to clutch in the transmission, whatever that means. When will GM come out with a TCM update on my 6 speed to fix this? I feel it starting at 40mph and under. At 40 I can feel a firm bump downshift, at 30, 20 and almost when I stop. I'm at 9k miles now

Does anyone have any advice or is this just "normal characteristics" of the 6 speed? :nopity:

Edited by nluchau

its not normal if the rental truck they give us that's got the same engine and trans as we do shifts perfect. im bringing mine back for the 5th time over this issue later on today. ill be sure to bump my thread if anything gets figured out and let you know.

its pretty annoying when passengers get in your $45k truck and ask WTF is wrong with the shifting

• 2 weeks later...

I feel it all the time. Normal to me. But I've driven mostly manuals including motorcycles and I guess it feels familiar. Probably is normal especially if there is the "clutch-clutch" thing you're talking about. You're most likely literally feeling the engagement of the clutch(s). A lot of these manufacturers these days are trying to build in "shift feel" because automatics and CVTs got so smooth it was bothering people because they didn't know if the vehicle was in drive or shifting, etc. As long as trans temps don't jump or it just shifts hard all the time it's probably fine.

I want to feel it slightly. My wife's car is very slight as it's coming to a stop, you almost have to watch the tac to see a slight movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Quick update:  I had another oil change and had a transmission tech drive it.  He noticed the downshifts (He's got the same truck and has never noticed it on his before like he did on mine).  Checked for any computer updates, it had all of them and then he said he believes it might be the valve body.  He was going to attend some additional training this coming week and was going to bring up some questions about it. I said I can wait another couple weeks.  Moral of this is he will call me when he returns to schedule the valve body replacement to see if that corrects my concerns.  

Does the TCM generally get replaced with a new valve body?  Curious about this.  Just glad I'm finally getting somewhere with this and hoping it takes care of my problems.