Is OnStar worth the money?

I will be coming to the end of my free trial of OnStar next month and I have yet to decide if I am going to keep it. I have not really used it other then to start my truck with my smart phone (I love that by the way) but I understand that I will be able to do that anyway. I do not really have a need for the hot spot as like everyone else I have a smart phone for that. Only time it might interest me is if the hot spot worked better in the back country then my phone due to the larger antenna. Living in Maine large parts of the state have little to no cell service.

As for the crash alert like everyone I hope to never need it and have gotten this far in life without it. That said I have also had insurance on my trucks all these years and never used it. However I know I still need it.

Really the only OnStar thing I have used was the other day my wife took my truck when I was sleeping (I work 12 nights 4 on 4 off) and when I woke up seeing it was gone I used the OnStar app to see where the truck was. I saw she was at walmart so I uploaded to the turn by turn OnStar nav the directions home so she would bring it back (all in good fun of course). When she got home she could not understand why the truck was telling her how to get home. She thought she had done something. My lovely wife in not a tech person.

But I still wonder is it worth the money? Other peoples experiences with this service would help me make up my mind.

Thanks in advance.

No.

Just so you know, I believe you have 5 years (correct me if I'm wrong on that) of free basic service. Basically I can still lock/unlock, remote start/cancel, and flash the lights and sound the horn/cancel. Those were the best features IMO, and I still have those for a few more years.

• Like 1

I will be coming to the end of my free trial of OnStar next month and I have yet to decide if I am going to keep it. I have not really used it other then to start my truck with my smart phone (I love that by the way) but I understand that I will be able to do that anyway. I do not really have a need for the hot spot as like everyone else I have a smart phone for that. Only time it might interest me is if the hot spot worked better in the back country then my phone due to the larger antenna. Living in Maine large parts of the state have little to no cell service.

As for the crash alert like everyone I hope to never need it and have gotten this far in life without it. That said I have also had insurance on my trucks all these years and never used it. However I know I still need it.

Really the only OnStar thing I have used was the other day my wife took my truck when I was sleeping (I work 12 nights 4 on 4 off) and when I woke up seeing it was gone I used the OnStar app to see where the truck was. I saw she was at walmart so I uploaded to the turn by turn OnStar nav the directions home so she would bring it back (all in good fun of course). When she got home she could not understand why the truck was telling her how to get home. She thought she had done something. My lovely wife in not a tech person.

But I still wonder is it worth the money? Other peoples experiences with this service would help me make up my mind.

Thanks in advance.

no, they just changed the basic "free plan" again. No more diagnostics on your phone unless you pay. If you live in your truck, then yes.

Current live Onstar members can renew the high end "guidance" for 269.99 vs the normal 349.90. Its much better deal but still sometimes its hard to pony up. I have it, I have used it for unlocks... just to use it lol.

can't you unlock your doors with the phone app on the free 5 year plan? I thought that service was free.

can't you unlock your doors with the phone app on the free 5 year plan? I thought that service was free.

yup I can use my app or call, sometimes it takes like 5-10 minutes to unlock via the app has to connect, verify, authorize, send.... etc... sometimes its faster to call. I have never locked myself out, I call b/c I can.

Edited by camcamaro1991

My 2 cents. I was in your shoes a couple of days ago. Thinking of adding it for whenever my wife drives my truck for peace of mind. The next day, I was almost rear-ended on I-20 at 70 mph. (Sitting still in traffic because of construction)

Onstar would have been worth it's weight in gold in that particular situation, if I had survived the impact.

At the current rate of $25, it's a no brainer for me. I pay $45 for my home security system monitoring, what's $25?

The bottom line is you're going to find just as many people advocating it's use as you will telling you it's a waste of money. Only you can determine if it's worth it for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I to have let my On-Star subscription run out and don't plan on renewing it. This is the 4th GMC I have had like that. As far as the hot spot though. I asked in the thread below and was told you don't have to have a current subscription to get the deal.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198529-onstar-unlimited-data-20/

My 2 cents. I was in your shoes a couple of days ago. Thinking of adding it for whenever my wife drives my truck for peace of mind. The next day, I was almost rear-ended on I-20 at 70 mph. (Sitting still in traffic because of construction)

Onstar would have been worth it's weight in gold in that particular situation, if I had survived the impact.

At the current rate of $25, it's a no brainer for me. I pay $45 for my home security system monitoring, what's $25?

The bottom line is you're going to find just as many people advocating it's use as you will telling you it's a waste of money. Only you can determine if it's worth it for you.

That's a well thought out position. Thank you very much for your post sir. You have given me something to think about.

Edited by MrSteam
  • Like 1

I believe the emergency button always works - paid subscription or not.........

Edited by Krusty

I also read on here about a guy whose wife had remote started the truck, dropped the keys while putting the child in the car seat and somehow the doors locked on her. The app wasn't working for them so he called onstar but they couldn't unlock it because he wasn't subscribed. If I remember correctly, they had to smash the window.

Freak occurrence, maybe, but it happened. The thing is, I hope I never have to use it.