Is OnStar worth the money?

Well I paid for the basic subscription plus minutes every year on my 2007.5 truck for most of 10 years – mainly to have phone service anywhere on the planet. Rarely used even that – never used the one free driving directions........ Never missed it when I did quit paying - and amazingly never got hounded by GM to re-up...... Cell phones do it all and more these days........

Well I paid for the basic subscription plus minutes every year on my 2007.5 truck for most of 10 years – mainly to have phone service anywhere on the planet. Rarely used even that – never used the one free driving directions........ Never missed it when I did quit paying - and amazingly never got hounded by GM to re-up...... Cell phones do it all and more these days........

The salesman lie through their teeth. I was told onstar phone service was satellite and I would get reception anywhere. Big joke

The only satellite on these trucks is satellite radio and the gps for navigation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also read on here about a guy whose wife had remote started the truck, dropped the keys while putting the child in the car seat and somehow the doors locked on her. The app wasn't working for them so he called onstar but they couldn't unlock it because he wasn't subscribed. If I remember correctly, they had to smash the window.

Freak occurrence, maybe, but it happened. The thing is, I hope I never have to use it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Seems odd that they couldn't help, even if they were not subscribed. Worst case scenario, subscribe quickly over the phone to have them unlock the car.

• Like 1

Seems odd that they couldn't help, even if they were not subscribed. Worst case scenario, subscribe quickly over the phone to have them unlock the car.

Supposedly you have to be in the truck and able to push the on-star button to do that. If it worked the way you described then if your truck got stolen then all you would have to do is rejoin. It don't work that way unfortunately.

• Like 2

I think on interstate 20 some would have noticed and made the call. But on a back road hitting a cow would have been a better reason. As for myself I don't use it.

My 2 cents. I was in your shoes a couple of days ago. Thinking of adding it for whenever my wife drives my truck for peace of mind. The next day, I was almost rear-ended on I-20 at 70 mph. (Sitting still in traffic because of construction)

Onstar would have been worth it's weight in gold in that particular situation, if I had survived the impact.

At the current rate of $25, it's a no brainer for me. I pay $45 for my home security system monitoring, what's $25?

The bottom line is you're going to find just as many people advocating it's use as you will telling you it's a waste of money. Only you can determine if it's worth it for you.

I think on interstate 20 some would have noticed and made the call. But on a back road hitting a cow would have been a better reason. As for myself I don't use it.

You're probably right.

It's one of those things that you pray you never need it, but if you do, you wish you had it. Tough choice.

• Like 1

I use to think it was a good idea to have the basic package, but then when I did go to use it in Montana, I don't think the girls on the other end knew where Montana was. ahaha

Got the run around and then they told me because I was Canadian I had to use the Canada on-star. Why in the hell would I use the Canada on-star when I am in the US?

So I told em to stick it! I will just let it run it's course on my new truck and then cancel it.

Great reply's and lots of good opinions. Thank you very much Gentlemen you have given me lots to consider.

This forum is very helpful.

I love the onstar remote start. Working nights its great to come out to a somewhat warm truck in the AM. Its nice to be able to tap a button on my phone from the control room and not have to find someone to cover me so I can run out and start it with the Key fob.

• Like 1