The new exhaust flapper design

camcamero1991 do you have a part number for the new one

No sir, I called Borla and had to submit a PDF of my GM invoice which has to show the GM part number and Borla drop shipped me a new front pipe the old pipe goes back to them under warranty.

Info:

New pipe is larger "earlier" diameter due to the flex pipe, this in a bad spot where it mates to the cats, b/c its just above the transmission frame mount I have to go adjust the exhaust some more I believe its touching the frame under full throttle, as the pipe has settled in, no surprise it looked a bit close to the frame.

Also I had to adjust the exhaust hanger, this was done on the 1st pipe as well, again no surprise her either.

Edited by camcamaro1991

I just got the gm borla for the 5.3 and it was the old design, so borla is shipping me the new flapper design. It definitely looks different than the 6.2. I'll post a side by side of the 5.3 version once the new gm borla front pipe arrives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GM & non GM-Borla current design does NOT have a pocket like GM-Borla's, not sure why some would you need to hold it open unless you had AFM disabled just buy a non GM Borla.

People are clamping the "standard" flapper open to stop it from squeaking when going from V4 to V8 mode. This is part of the official troubleshooting procedure from GM when you are trying to prove that it's the flapper making the noise. The problem is that when you clamp the flapper open all the time the squeak stops you but get a sound like a helicopter behind you when you are in V4 mode.

I just got the gm borla for the 5.3 and it was the old design, so borla is shipping me the new flapper design. It definitely looks different than the 6.2. I'll post a side by side of the 5.3 version once the new gm borla front pipe arrives.

Any particular reason they're shipping you the new one? Asking because I just ordered mine yesterday.

Edit: Sry, I just reread the thread and saw where you said your flapper is rattling. My apologies. Just curious if I needed to pay special attention to mine when it comes in.

Edited by jarms

Any particular reason they're shipping you the new one? Asking because I just ordered mine yesterday.

Edit: Sry, I just reread the thread and saw where you said your flapper is rattling. My apologies. Just curious if I needed to pay special attention to mine when it comes in.

Look at the manufacture date on the box when you get it. Anything in the past year should be the new flapper design without the bypass tube.

• Like 1

Here is the new GM Borla flapper for the 5.3.

I noticed the spring in the new flapper design is much stiffer than the spring in the old flapper.

Is the new GM / Borla flapper design for both 5.3 and 6.2?

Is the stock exhaust also getting the new flapper design?

:dunno:

As far as I can tell the 5.3 stock and gm borla have redesigned flapper that are different from one another. Not sure about the 6.2.

The stock exhaust is NOT getting the new flapper. I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the flapper squeak and the part is identical.

I expect the squeak to come back sometime in the future ...

The stock exhaust is NOT getting the new flapper. I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the flapper squeak and the part is identical.

I expect the squeak to come back sometime in the future ...

Seems like a regular shot of Kroil would keep things squeak free - and smellin' good..........

:wtf: