0-20W (Good for Hot Regions?)

The extended perf and the fuel economy Mobile 1 0w20 are both OK but not great noak. The Amsoil, specifically the signature series is pretty good at 10% but compare it to the 5w20, noack drops to 6, which is great.

Look at almost all the other 0w20 (excluding the Penz Ultra Platinum, which you can't find right now) and they have fair to ok noack numbers, and almost all 0w oils have shear issues.

More noak in a DI engine, the higher the chance you are going to carbon the valves.

So while I agree, I want to keep my warranty, I do not want to drop just any 0w20 in the engine.

Mobil 1 0W-20 has a NOACK of 10.1% according to PQIA: http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/exmoM1.htm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Advanced Oiling System

The oiling system incorporates a new variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on the engines operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Pressurized oil is directed through the engine block lower oil gallery to the full-flow oil filter and then to the upper main oil galleries and the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

An oil passage at camshaft bearing location permits oil flow into the center of the camshaft. Oil enters the camshaft, exiting at the front and into the camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve. The CMP valve spool position is controlled by the ECM and CMP magnet. When commanded by the ECM, the CMP magnet repositions the CMP actuator solenoid valve spool directing pressurized oil into the CMP actuator to control valve timing.

TIP: Failure to use the recommended engine oil and correct viscosity or its equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.

Their brochure talk and strong recommendations on oil weights is nice but you have to ask yourself, why does GM think the exact same engine with the exact same oiling system requires syn blend 0W-20 when it's mounted in a 5600 lb truck pulling a 7000 lb trailer up a 7% grade, yet when it's mounted on a 3200 lb car, suddenly GM says it requires full syn 5W-30 (and 15W-40 on the race track). There is only one motivation: the EPA. GM could care less if the truck running 0W-20 runs a slightly greater risk of wear or even damage. Especially since they dropped the powertrain warranty to 60k miles.

On a side note. It's amazing how much quieter these engines are with 5w-30.

It is amazing how much quieter on 5-30

did my first change at 900mi, been running it ever since.

cold starts were noisy to me on 0w, all noise disappeared on 5w

I'm at 12kmi now all on 5w30, all is good. about 7000mi of that is towing a 9000# camper

My 5.3 is dead quiet on 0w/20...

The 2016+ trucks seemed to be a lot quieter than the 14/15 trucks I've heard. Nearly every 2014 I've been around has a distinctive sewing machine idle. Guess you lucked out on noise...

I'll still gladly take superior protection with the added benefit of getting rid of this kind of racket:

The 2016+ trucks seemed to be a lot quieter than the 14/15 trucks I've heard. Nearly every 2014 I've been around has a distinctive sewing machine idle. Guess you lucked out on noise...

I'll still gladly take superior protection with the added benefit of getting rid of this kind of racket:

100% agree about the 16s and 17s being much quieter. Just about every 14 and 15 I've heard sound terrible. It's claimed to be DI noises. Not sure.

Finally got my truck this past Monday, I asked the guy who brought it to get me Mobil 1 0-20, dude brought (1) 5 Quart. Wish he used his head and realize that a truck of all things needs more than that. I don't live in the US, Only 1 place sells Mobil 1 here and last I checked, they didn't have 0-20 and the other top brand would be Castrol. They only have 0-30 in their full synthetic line. Luckily the oil was changed before it was brought down.

Is 5w20 available? That works just as well unless you are experiencing cold temps that are below -30F. And yes, there are dozens of 5w20 oils on the dexos1 approved list. Not necessarily the dexos1 Gen 2 list, but that doesn't become the standard until the 2018 models are introduced.

I managed to locate 5-20 I believe about 50 miles from where I live. $20/ quart which is $10usd/quart for you guys. The only other place is in Quintana Roo Mexico which is about 90-100 miles away. Lol. They have it for $18/quart. That's the 0-20, but I'm not sure if it's the same fuel economy type like the 5 qt I have.

• 1 month later...

Their brochure talk and strong recommendations on oil weights is nice but you have to ask yourself, why does GM think the exact same engine with the exact same oiling system requires syn blend 0W-20 when it's mounted in a 5600 lb truck pulling a 7000 lb trailer up a 7% grade, yet when it's mounted on a 3200 lb car, suddenly GM says it requires full syn 5W-30 (and 15W-40 on the race track). There is only one motivation: the EPA. GM could care less if the truck running 0W-20 runs a slightly greater risk of wear or even damage. Especially since they dropped the powertrain warranty to 60k miles.

On a side note. It's amazing how much quieter these engines are with 5w-30.

This is also what I question.

I have a 2015 Corvette with the dry sump and, as HondaHawkGT points out, I have to rum 5w-30 and am only hauling 3200 lbs

Could one reason may be that the redline for the LT1 is higher ?-but I agree that the weight and towing with my GMC would seem to place more stress on the engine. I am going to get Mobil 1 to change the oil in the truck today, but still hate the 0W-20.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious about this as well, it gets rather hot in Texas and I sit in traffic a lot. I was surprised when my 2017 Silverado called for 0w20, while my 2016 SS used 5w30 or 40. If that is what they spec, that is what I'll use, but I was curious if it had more to do with the cylinder deactivation lifter functioning. My SS was manual and didn't have AFM, but all of the Camaros spec the same weight, even with AFM. It definitely seems odd to spec a lighter oil for trucks that will generally see fleet duty or hauling a lot.

Archived