0-20W (Good for Hot Regions?)

Your 06 engine is not the same as the engines in 14and up trucks these engines want a thinner oil 5-20 dexos is as thick as I would go especially with the afm lifters and tight clearances we have ..... for my 2017 6.2 0-20 in winter and 5-20 in summer esp when I tow

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your 06 engine is not the same as the engines in 14and up trucks these engines want a thinner oil 5-20 dexos is as thick as I would go especially with the afm lifters and tight clearances we have ..... for my 2017 6.2 0-20 in winter and 5-20 in summer esp when I tow

Then why does the 2014+ 4.3L V6 call for 5w-30

Also the Corvette and Camaro call for. 5w-30

Same AFM lifters

Even a 5w30 would be fine in Central America. At operating temp, there is only about 2-3 cSt difference in viscosity. I know that sounds like a difference, but when you consider a 0w20 or a 0w30 both have a viscosity of 6000-7000 cSt at -35c. The only difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 is the cold flow rating. A 0w20 is below the maximum 7000 cSt at -35c and a 5w20 is below a maximum 7000 cSt at -30c. At 40c or 100c, they are virtually identical.

On to a 20w vs 30w. the 0w30 mirrors the viscosity at -35c as the 0w20. A 5w30 mirrors the viscosity of a 5w20 at -30c. At 40c, the difference between a 20w and 30w is about 15 cSt. hardly a difference. At 100c, the difference is about 2 cSt. Virtually identical. Viscosity is the resistance to flow, not a thickness. A 30w will work just fine for most applications of the Ecotec engine.... North, South, or Central America. To be cautious regarding warranty if one loses sleep over that, go with a 5w20. No dealer or OEM on the planet can tell the difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 via a used oil sample. They can tell between a 20w and a 30w, but it is so tight they might not. Go with your gut and your comfort zone and relax. But, a 5w20 will have a lower burn off rate compared to a 0w20, and a 5w20 will be more shear stable under stress since it needs fewer viscosity modifiers than a 0w20. A definite plus when it comes to AFM components in an engine.

It is very true, the reason for the 0w20 deal has to do with fuel economy improvement, which can be determined in a controlled setting in testing, but barely noticeable in the real world. And, the EPA demands that the oil used in testing be the oil that is recommended by the OEM for the engine. It is just that simple folks. Many fleets fill their Ecotec engines with the same oil that they are using in the rest of their vehicles, typically a 5w30. And those engines are not falling apart any faster than folks who are religious about using 0w20.

While the Ecotec and Vortec engines are different, the clearances are barely different. Not like the differences between a 5.3 Vortec and 1966 327 V8. And even a 90w oil has much smaller molecules than the tightest clearances of the most advanced engine. The 90w would not flow easily enough to provide proper cooling to the components though, which is one of the primary jobs of a motor oil. A 30w oil will flow thru a 2 micron bypass filter. The tightest clearances in a modern Ecotec is 4-5 microns at the least.

Even a 5w30 would be fine in Central America. At operating temp, there is only about 2-3 cSt difference in viscosity. I know that sounds like a difference, but when you consider a 0w20 or a 0w30 both have a viscosity of 6000-7000 cSt at -35c. The only difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 is the cold flow rating. A 0w20 is below the maximum 7000 cSt at -35c and a 5w20 is below a maximum 7000 cSt at -30c. At 40c or 100c, they are virtually identical.

On to a 20w vs 30w. the 0w30 mirrors the viscosity at -35c as the 0w20. A 5w30 mirrors the viscosity of a 5w20 at -30c. At 40c, the difference between a 20w and 30w is about 15 cSt. hardly a difference. At 100c, the difference is about 2 cSt. Virtually identical. Viscosity is the resistance to flow, not a thickness. A 30w will work just fine for most applications of the Ecotec engine.... North, South, or Central America. To be cautious regarding warranty if one loses sleep over that, go with a 5w20. No dealer or OEM on the planet can tell the difference between a 0w20 and a 5w20 via a used oil sample. They can tell between a 20w and a 30w, but it is so tight they might not. Go with your gut and your comfort zone and relax. But, a 5w20 will have a lower burn off rate compared to a 0w20, and a 5w20 will be more shear stable under stress since it needs fewer viscosity modifiers than a 0w20. A definite plus when it comes to AFM components in an engine.

It is very true, the reason for the 0w20 deal has to do with fuel economy improvement, which can be determined in a controlled setting in testing, but barely noticeable in the real world. And, the EPA demands that the oil used in testing be the oil that is recommended by the OEM for the engine. It is just that simple folks. Many fleets fill their Ecotec engines with the same oil that they are using in the rest of their vehicles, typically a 5w30. And those engines are not falling apart any faster than folks who are religious about using 0w20.

While the Ecotec and Vortec engines are different, the clearances are barely different. Not like the differences between a 5.3 Vortec and 1966 327 V8. And even a 90w oil has much smaller molecules than the tightest clearances of the most advanced engine. The 90w would not flow easily enough to provide proper cooling to the components though, which is one of the primary jobs of a motor oil. A 30w oil will flow thru a 2 micron bypass filter. The tightest clearances in a modern Ecotec is 4-5 microns at the least.

Thanks man, so far I am unable to find 0-20 Mobil one here, the only other "big" brand in oil here is Castrol, I'm not sure if synthetic or not. We do not have Royal Purple or Amsoil here. I've seen Lucas but haven't heard much locals say anything good about them. Seems I may have to source from the US and ship it here.

Advanced Oiling System

The oiling system incorporates a new variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Pressurized oil is directed through the engine block lower oil gallery to the full-flow oil filter and then to the upper main oil galleries and the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

An oil passage at camshaft bearing location permits oil flow into the center of the camshaft. Oil enters the camshaft, exiting at the front and into the camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve. The CMP valve spool position is controlled by the ECM and CMP magnet. When commanded by the ECM, the CMP magnet repositions the CMP actuator solenoid valve spool directing pressurized oil into the CMP actuator to control valve timing.

TIP: Failure to use the recommended engine oil and correct viscosity or its equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.

Advanced Oiling System

The oiling system incorporates a new variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on the engines operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Pressurized oil is directed through the engine block lower oil gallery to the full-flow oil filter and then to the upper main oil galleries and the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

An oil passage at camshaft bearing location permits oil flow into the center of the camshaft. Oil enters the camshaft, exiting at the front and into the camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve. The CMP valve spool position is controlled by the ECM and CMP magnet. When commanded by the ECM, the CMP magnet repositions the CMP actuator solenoid valve spool directing pressurized oil into the CMP actuator to control valve timing.

TIP: Failure to use the recommended engine oil and correct viscosity or its equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.

I've read this before, it's the same for all the new gen 5 ecotec family of engines.

Again, so why is 5w-30 recommend for the 4.3L V6. Also the 6.2L vett and Camaro recommend 5w-30. All have the same "advanced oiling system" same AFM lifters.

Just saying.

Not sure why people are scared of 0W-20.... better lubrication at the potential cost of higher oil temps. But I highly doubt that's a problem with our oil cooler and modern synthetic oils being able to handle higher temps.

Archived