• 3 weeks later...

My Traverse would not recognize names. It was sudden and just stopped working. When I prompted to " call Zack" , it would come up with some crazy suggestion in my phone book "call advanced"?". Today I tried switching the language and every other suggestion here. Didn't work. I went out and tried  to voice dial a random person in my phonebook, worked fine. Tried my husband and kids.. did not. 

Realized I had an emoji ?(special character) next to their names. I deleted them, re paired my phone.. works perfect.

I guess they can't recognize the special character in the name.

• 11 months later...

Here's a goofy one.  I have a 2020 Chevy Suburban.  With my phone  plugged in and Android Auto Play activated, I'll push the call button and say "Call (so and so)".  Mostly it calls the right person in my Contacts.  Sometimes it will call someone else by the same name.  For example, I have a friend, say his name is Eric Jones, and he's in my Contacts list.  I pushed the button and said "Call Eric Jones".  Next think I hear is the voice saying "Calling Dr. Eric Jones".  Turns out it dials some doctor named Eric Jones, who is not in my Contacts.  My bet is that it pulled an "Eric Jones" from Google and called that number.  That's happened several times with several different of my Contacts.  Has to be a setting with the car, because it's never happened in my other car.  is there a setting somewhere to tell it only to dial names from my Contacts?

• 5 months later...
On 12/5/2017 at 11:55 AM, BigDigger said:

Just wondering if anyone found a resolution to this issue?

I am also experiencing the same issue with my personal phone (S6) and my work phone (iPhone 5).  It was not always like this and I have lest than 100 contacts on each phone.

I have also noticed that my USB stick which is loaded with music files can no longer be accessed by voice.  Something has changed and I can't figure it out.

Since I posted this I found a fix from another web site ... I tried it and it worked.

What needs to be done to fix the issue it to go into settings, change the language to Spanish (not sure if other languages will work) then shut down the car for 5 minutes. Go back into the system and change the language back to English and the voice commands will work fine.

I was having the same problem on my 2016 GMC Sierra when I read BigDigger's post showing a fix. The problem gave me indication that the system could not understand my commands. As soon as I followed the instructions shown in BigDigger's post, my system started working again!!! Thank you BigDigger for posting your fix to this forum.

• 2 years later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:24 AM, 2016HD said:

try under your phone settings. general management. language and input. then text to speech. speech rate. and pitch etc. Helped a little with mine. But sometimes it says it cant find the name I say. Even though it repeats the same name back to me. then my kid tries it and it works. Something to do with how i say the name etc.

Thanks for the tip! I followed your instructions under phone settings, adjusting text-to-speech settings, and it did help a bit. Nrega