Puddle light wire?

• 9 months later...

I hate to bring this back up but i have a question...

So i got LED lights encased in hard plastic, water proof which i plan on installing under the nerf bars that im putting on.

I want them to come on with the puddle lights only, no other way. Do i need this diode for that or do i simply tap the thin gray wire with gree stripe for power and be done?

5 hours ago, Ozer said:

I hate to bring this back up but i have a question...

So i got LED lights encased in hard plastic, water proof which i plan on installing under the nerf bars that im putting on.

I want them to come on with the puddle lights only, no other way. Do i need this diode for that or do i simply tap the thin gray wire with gree stripe for power and be done?

The puddle lights, without the diode, only come on when the vehicle settings are set for locator, if I remember correctly.  With the diode, puddle lights come on when the doors open, when the doors are unlocked (on a timer), or when the interior lights are turned on.  Just tapping into the puddle lights wire will only allow them to come on when there is power to that wire, so you're going to have to figure out some additional options to get them to work the way you want.

I have the diode jumped between the interior lights and the puddle lights, and plan on putting my nerf bar lights at the same pin with my diode.

Additional note:  If you turn on individual map/reading lights, the puddles will not come on.  If you turn on all of the map/reading lights, via their individual switches, the puddles will not come on.  The interior lights switch has to be in "DOOR" or "ON" for the puddles to come on, as described in first paragraph, with the diode.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 10:01 PM, pgamboa said:

Puddle Lamps only come on at night and when you unlock your doors (with key fob) or open your door. It turns off after a few seconds of closing your doors. It kind of operates like the dome but is independent. It will not come with the dome lamp switch.

Here is a pic of the circuit in the BCM. Far left grey connector. Bottom right corner of the connector (solid grey cable). Ignore the diode.3544ab44c432ace3b571321efadaa3df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

The puddle lights, without the diode, only come on when the vehicle settings are set for locator, if I remember correctly.  With the diode, puddle lights come on when the doors open, when the doors are unlocked (on a timer), or when the interior lights are turned on.  Just tapping into the puddle lights wire will only allow them to come on when there is power to that wire, so you're going to have to figure out some additional options to get them to work the way you want.

I have the diode jumped between the interior lights and the puddle lights, and plan on putting my nerf bar lights at the same pin with my diode.

Additional note:  If you turn on individual map/reading lights, the puddles will not come on.  If you turn on all of the map/reading lights, via their individual switches, the puddles will not come on.  The interior lights switch has to be in "DOOR" or "ON" for the puddles to come on, as described in first paragraph, with the diode.

Couple questions trying to figure out the best way to get the function how I want. Truck is a 2017 without tow mirrors so no existing puddle lamps.  I DO NOT want them tied into the dome lamp wire.

1.  How do the puddle lamps behave (without any diodes) when the settings for "vehicle locator lights" is turned off.  (I refuse to turn this on as it powers on the HIDs then shut them off when the truck is cranking then immediately ignites them again. This is horrible for the life of the HID bulbs, and the reverse lights coming on is stupid. It should just be the parking lights like every other mfr does.)

2.  What is this circuit fused at for max load?  (Some of the sidestep lights are getting pretty power hungry and don't want to overload this circuit)

3. Would the be any issue using a diode to power the puddle lamps from the cargo light circuit and which wire (color/position) This seems to make sense to me since it would be a manual way to switch them on when the vehicle is not in motion.

I second the max amperage of the dome circuit question, my dad did this upgrade on his f150 (he also has power steps and light up sill plates) and the circuit from the BCD he used ended up going into “safe mode” and needed to be unlocked by dealer. This could have been caused by all the other things he had tapped into the circuit but it was a nice lesson learned. He ended up installing a relay to run everything.

I was going to purchase a set of the Opt7 sidekick 60” running board lights they run at just under 1 Amp and a total wattage of 7.2. Just want to make sure I’m not going to overpower the bcm

9 hours ago, Crazyjoker77 said:

Couple questions trying to figure out the best way to get the function how I want. Truck is a 2017 without tow mirrors so no existing puddle lamps.  I DO NOT want them tied into the dome lamp wire.

1.  How do the puddle lamps behave (without any diodes) when the settings for "vehicle locator lights" is turned off.  (I refuse to turn this on as it powers on the HIDs then shut them off when the truck is cranking then immediately ignites them again. This is horrible for the life of the HID bulbs, and the reverse lights coming on is stupid. It should just be the parking lights like every other mfr does.)

I'll have to test this with "Vehicle Locator Lights" turned off.  As it stands, the puddle lamps (these are on DL3 Mirrors that shine downward) only come on at night and when the truck is unlocked.  I use to think they came on when you open the door but it seems that the trigger is with a door unlock signal.  Some are using a diode and tying them in to the interior dome lamp so that they stay on longer and have switching capabilities.

Puddle Lamps on these mirrors are DIFFERENT than the lamps on the tow mirrors.  Forward shining amber lamps are called "Park Lamps, Marker Lamps, Clearance Lamps" and follow the headlight.  The White LED that shines rearward are called "Courtesy Lamps, Largo Lamps, Reverse Lamps, Spotlights".  The circuit name for these is Courtesy Lamp and tied to the Cargo Lamp button switch.  

2.  What is this circuit fused at for max load?  (Some of the sidestep lights are getting pretty power hungry and don't want to overload this circuit)

The circuit for the puddle lamp is actually pulled from the BCM.  The Fuse # is 46 (F46DR) and is rated for 15A BUT... the 15A fuse is for the entire BCM - Connector #7 or that grey connector.  If you pull that fuse, everything in that Grey connector goes dead.  This fuse is located in the X51L - Passenger Side Fuse panel.

3. Would the be any issue using a diode to power the puddle lamps from the cargo light circuit and which wire (color/position) This seems to make sense to me since it would be a manual way to switch them on when the vehicle is not in motion.

The cargo lamp circuit in the BCM is a negative ground switch circuit where the puddle lamp and interior lamps are positive circuits.  So no, you cannot do this using the same methods for the cargo/reverse diode mod.  

4 hours ago, Waterfowler41 said:

I second the max amperage of the dome circuit question, my dad did this upgrade on his f150 (he also has power steps and light up sill plates) and the circuit from the BCD he used ended up going into “safe mode” and needed to be unlocked by dealer. This could have been caused by all the other things he had tapped into the circuit but it was a nice lesson learned. He ended up installing a relay to run everything.

I was going to purchase a set of the Opt7 sidekick 60” running board lights they run at just under 1 Amp and a total wattage of 7.2. Just want to make sure I’m not going to overpower the bcm

See post above.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 9:01 PM, pgamboa said:

Puddle Lamps only come on at night and when you unlock your doors (with key fob) or open your door. It turns off after a few seconds of closing your doors. It kind of operates like the dome but is independent. It will not come with the dome lamp switch.

Here is a pic of the circuit in the BCM. Far left grey connector. Bottom right corner of the connector (solid grey cable). Ignore the diode.

3544ab44c432ace3b571321efadaa3df.jpg

383f216442ec08f1dfec7be6a8488c81.jpg

Actually, with mine......

My puddle lights come on when I unlock my truck, open a door with switch set to DOOR, or turned on the interior lights.  They turn off after about 60 seconds (or so), and when you lock the truck.  It's pretty cool to watch my truck unlock, puddle lights fade ON, while my mirrors unfold.

• Like 1

Actually, with mine......
  My puddle lights come on when I unlock my truck, open a door with switch set to DOOR, or turned on the interior lights.  They turn off after about 60 seconds (or so), and when you lock the truck.  It's pretty cool to watch my truck unlock, puddle lights fade ON, while my mirrors unfold.

You have the Puddle Lamp diode your interior dome lamps to get them to behave like this right?

Just now, pgamboa said:

You have the Puddle Lamp diode your interior dome lamps to get them to behave like this right?

GRY1-GRY8

• Like 1

GRY1-GRY8

Yep. I was providing the behavior of the factory Puddle Lamp without any diode mod :). I have the same mod you have done. This is also the workaround for 2014 trucks that upgrade to DL3 Mirrors.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, pgamboa said:

Yep. I was providing the behavior of the factory Puddle Lamp without any diode mod :). I have the same mod you have done. This is also the workaround for 2014 trucks that upgrade to DL3 Mirrors.

Phil any insight into this little light I stumbled across today?

2ietpV8.jpg

It comes on when you open the doors and fades out with the dome lights but does not illuminate with the dome light if you use to overhead switch.  Is this connected to the factory puddle light circuit? 

OT but I find it kind of amusing the GM uses a warm white light for the door pockets(3500k), a neutral white for the cup holder illumination(4300k), and a noticeably cooler white for the dome lights(6000k)...

• Confused 1

Phil any insight into this little light I stumbled across today?

2ietpV8.jpg

It comes on when you open the doors and fades out with the dome lights but does not illuminate with the dome light if you use to overhead switch.  Is this connected to the factory puddle light circuit? 

OT but I find it kind of amusing the GM uses a warm white light for the door pockets(3500k), a neutral white for the cup holder illumination(4300k), and a noticeably cooler white for the dome lights(6000k)...

These are ambient lights that I can tell. I’ve noticed them at night when I have my lights on. Just like the light out of the overhead console.

Delivered via my cellular device using a mobile chat forum thingy.

• 6 months later...

Which trim package has the puddle lamps? I have Z71 SLE, 2015 GMC and don't have them.  I wonder if all the mirrors are wired for the lights, but not included with all mirrors.  Maybe a strip on LED's on each side just under the  door wired to the puddle lamp connector might be a good idea. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 7:40 PM, pgamboa said:

I didn't have to do this mod with my '18, truck is programed to do it already.

Which trim package has the puddle lamps? I have Z71 SLE, 2015 GMC and don't have them.  I wonder if all the mirrors are wired for the lights, but not included with all mirrors.  Maybe a strip on LED's on each side just under the  door wired to the puddle lamp connector might be a good idea. 

LTZ/HC, SLT, AT, Denali. These trucks will most likely have DL3 Mirrors on them. Lower trim trucks like LT/SLE, and some WT will have DL8 Mirrors that won’t have the puddle but can upgrade to DL3 and gain it along with the turn signals and power fold... with my custom harnesses.

For all 2014 trucks, that puddle lamp circuit (while present) may not enabled the voltage output and why the diode is needed.

Some WT trucks may not have the puddle lamp present at all.