Puddle light wire?

18 hours ago, Grjfer said:

I ment to update this. I forgot I had turned the locator function on. So after turning it off, no lights come on till I open the door. Then it's only the dome, puddle, and my running board lights. 

So, any door that's opened activates the step lights?  I think this is the way I'm wanting mine to ultimately operate when I get them installed.

2 hours ago, Darmichar said:

So, any door that's opened activates the step lights?  I think this is the way I'm wanting mine to ultimately operate when I get them installed.

That is correct. As long as it is dark enough to trigger the light sensor

• Like 1

Help with the puddle lights. What am I doing wrong? I connected my LED positive lead to the grey with green trace wire in the X7 Grey connector on the BCM. I connected the negative to a bolt that goes is screwed into the firewall. They will not turn on in the dark, even when I  cover the light sensor on the dashboard with a coat. Not when I unlock the truck or open the door   The truck is a 2015 Sierra. I must be doing something wrong. The connector that the puddle wire uses doesn't have a ground connection according to a PIN out diagram I found. 

I would connect it to the dome light in the BCM just to make sure it’s not a wiring issue on the LED side. Then you can start wondering about the truck itself. Does your truck have the puddle lights in the mirrors? If not, I’m unaware if that connection would get power at all. PGamboa would know. I just don’t.

2 hours ago, chuckworkb said:

Help with the puddle lights. What am I doing wrong? I connected my LED positive lead to the grey with green trace wire in the X7 Grey connector on the BCM. I connected the negative to a bolt that goes is screwed into the firewall. They will not turn on in the dark, even when I  cover the light sensor on the dashboard with a coat. Not when I unlock the truck or open the door   The truck is a 2015 Sierra. I must be doing something wrong. The connector that the puddle wire uses doesn't have a ground connection according to a PIN out diagram I found. 

I used the same grey with green stripe wire. For ground I used one underneath on the frame. It is pretty much inline with the parking brake grommet. 

Are you sure your lights worked in the first place? 

I tested the LED's they are fine. Someone said to check that My locator lights are turned on in settings.  They are.  used an ohm meter to check that the wires were fine. My truck is a 2015 GMC SLE. Maybe I need to test the voltage coming from that connector into that grey and green wire. I guess I can connect my DMM to the position on the plug, cover the light sensor and watch for the voltage. 

2 hours ago, chuckworkb said:

I tested the LED's they are fine. Someone said to check that My locator lights are turned on in settings.  They are.  used an ohm meter to check that the wires were fine. My truck is a 2015 GMC SLE. Maybe I need to test the voltage coming from that connector into that grey and green wire. I guess I can connect my DMM to the position on the plug, cover the light sensor and watch for the voltage. 

Are your puddle lights working? 

Yes. Check voltage on that wire. All 2014 trucks and some 2015 will not output voltage or might only output 3vdc. In this case, there I have those trucks perform a diode mod and grab power from
The dome lamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Yes. Check voltage on that wire. All 2014 trucks and some 2015 will not output voltage or might only output 3vdc. In this case, there I have those trucks perform a diode mod and grab power from
The dome lamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the hint on the low voltage. I will check that. Regarding the dome light diode mod - 2 questions. 

I already added additional LED's for foot well lights.   How much current can that circuit handle?  Last question - if I use the diode connected to the dome light circuit, do I just connect my new LED wire to the negative side of the diode, ( stripe on the diode) since the dome circuit would output 12V+ I assume at that connection.  Or do I bridge the diode between the dome connection and the puddle connection on the grey connector, then slide my LED wire in next to the diode wire that is now bridged between Pins 1 and 8 at PIN 8?   THANK YOU !  

• 4 weeks later...
Do you have the bed lights? That's what I tied mine into, they come on with the cargo light. I can take a pic of each side when I get a chance today 
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can you take a picture of how the lights are tied into the bed lights please.

• 1 year later...