Driving on the beach

In the next couple of weeks I plan on taking my new Z71 on the national sea shore of cape cod. I have the 18" good year duratrac tires. Does anyone have a recommended psi for traveling over sand with these tires?

TIA.... loco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know anything about this place you are talking about but if its similar to a place such as Daytona Beach, I wouldnt even bother airing down especially if you have no easy way of filling your tires back up with air. Just run it in 4wd and if you do end up starting to get stuck you can air down... if you dont dig yourself in.

100% need to air down and run in 4wd. It's not nice packed sand like Daytona. You will get stuck if you don't air down the moment you do any kind of maneuver outside the travel lane, which you will have to to let people pass. You will also ruin the trail with ruts if you try to hotshot it. There's a compressor right before the ranger station.

Edit. Not trying to sound condescending, but I've been driving those beaches since I was 5 years old and they are much much different than Daytona or the Carolinas

100% need to air down and run in 4wd. It's not nice packed sand like Daytona. You will get stuck if you don't air down the moment you do any kind of maneuver outside the travel lane, which you will have to to let people pass. You will also ruin the trail with ruts if you try to hotshot it. There's a compressor right before the ranger station.

Edit. Not trying to sound condescending, but I've been driving those beaches since I was 5 years old and they are much much different than Daytona or the Carolinas

Good to know this info. I definitely agree with you then about airing down.

You have good tires and 4x4, you don't need to air down. Just drive carefully in 2WD and only switch to 4-wheel if you start to get stuck.

If it's loose sand you sure do.

The dunes by us require 15psi max or you won't make it very far. I always did 7-8 on my half tons and never threw a bead, even doing donuts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

do your research, I am pretty sure you have to have a permit to run the national or Nauset beach which requires you to have a list of things to get out there.

I found on the website for information on where I'd like to go. They have tire requirements which my Z 71 certainly fits the bill. They're saying tire should be 10 to 15 psi you're also required to carry a shovel and a tow rope.

Thank you for the input folks!

Be sure and take it to the car wash and get the sand and salt off of it as much as possible and as fast as possible. That salt can cause significant damage. If you want to cheat, take it to a quality car wash and have them do it and vacuum the interior to get the sand out of there as well. And yes the staff get a big fat tip when my truck has been trashed by going camping or to the beach.

Archived