Cruising Speed

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed that MPG starts to fall off sharply at anything over 75 MPH If I set it at 70 MPH or less I can get 20+ mpg all day long. Kick it up to over 80 MPH and the brick shape of the truck just seems to get pretty hard to push through the air. Not scientific just a personal observation from someone that has had (3) 2014 and up CrewCab 4WD Sierras all getting over 20MPG average (approx 85,000 miles overall)

This pic is city driving with lots of remote start cool downs since I picked up the 2017 I think it is down to 20.9 now. I am just too comfy to go take a current pic

post-127028-0-59956300-1498775347_thumb.jpg

post-127028-0-59956300-1498775347_thumb.jpg

We, the wife and I, are ascending a hill on a county two lane having a…ahem, discussion…on speed. She thinks speed limits are optional and subjective and cars/trucks are meant to be driven so drive them. She also thinks that five feet from the car ahead is a faster 10 over the limit than two seconds back. Lots of people do.

I know people that will pass on the hill, in a no passing zone or on a curve into the sun. Pass on the right in intersections. Go around a driver parallel parking. Make right turns from the shoulder on two lane intersections when the fella ahead is making a left or straight. We talk about that allot. That somehow four wheel drive gives you better brakes. That three through a stop sign in a row is okay because they are more important than you.

So…she’s pecking me on doing 50 mph in a 55 zone on a 5 mile trip trying to convince me that doing 65 will get us there some meaningful time sooner. We are not on a time limit and it’s a nice day so…even if we were; do the math.

At the base of the hill I pull over into the left lane and keep the cruise locked down. Aghast she barks, “What the **** are you doing?”

“Same thing as everyone out her dear. I’m deciding for everyone else what laws need to be followed. You ignore a speed limit and I’ll choose proper lane usage, deal?”

“You’re going to get us killed idiot!”

“So I’ll be more dead in the left lane than getting hit head on by a guy 20 over the limit doing a blind pass? The damage will be less from the shoulder pass with my view obstructed?” And I add, “And I have no obligation for anyone’s safety; especially yours?”

“That fool doing the illegal pass coming toward me will bring my speed to zero and that other fool behind me following at a car length will pile drive us all into the morgue. :idiot:

“Well driving slow is dangerous too”.

“You did hear my last sentence? Your saying farm tractors and bicycles and pedestrians should travel the speed limit or leave the road so you don’t have to watch what you’re doing eh? Wow, ain't you all that. Tell ya what. Get out your calculator and tell me what the kenotic energy is of two 6,500 lb. trucks hitting head on doing a blind pass over this hill at twenty over the limit and tell me you don’t wish that guy was doing ten under and was a bit lighter?” I pull back the right lane and add…

“Tell ya what Sugar Bear…take a life in an accident and then school me on law, reason and maintenance”. It got real quite. "Take note that most states do indeed have a minimum limit and it's a good deal slower than I drive".

I’d love to say I don’t care what anyone else does but I can’t, I do care. I’m selfish. I’d rather your 10 minutes late to a meeting you should have left 10 minutes earlier for than to watch you bleed out, your brains pouring from your skull because you thought if you crowded the fella your passing he would let you in. Problems is, he was having a fight with his wife or she was texting or putting on makeup and didn’t even know you were there. A game of chicken three cars or more will lose. If you actually live through the experience you can watch all the fun from your wheelchair. Worse you can look at the person you put in one and wish you could find a decent night’s sleep forty years later.

The fella that needs a horsewhipping is the cop that won’t right the ticket that neuters the law and gives permission for those to dense to understand you won’t have a life afterward even if your still drawing breath and outside a jail cell. :fume:

Compared to my twenty's I slowed down a big deal while driving.

I've seen a lot and had too many close calls.

But still, driving a car means to me to get quickly from A to B. I think that's one of the reasons why the car was invented.

I'm leaving my home early to make sure to be on time where I have to be.

Traffic jams, an accident or a driver like you doing 60km/h in a 80km/h zone are some of the reasons for that.

While I agree with you that a higher speed can lead to more damage in case of an accident, I also say that a slow driver can cause the same danger on the road.

I'm ok with slow drivers as long as they do it in the travel lane and not in the passing lane.

Or, when they pull over every now and then and let the faster vehicles pass.

You do that, right?

My sweet spot is 120km/h (75mph). Fuel mileage is still decent and I have the feeling that I'm moving :) .

so long

j-ten-ner

Compared to my twenty's I slowed down a big deal while driving.

I've seen a lot and had too many close calls.

But still, driving a car means to me to get quickly from A to B. I think that's one of the reasons why the car was invented.

I'm leaving my home early to make sure to be on time where I have to be.

Traffic jams, an accident or a driver like you doing 60km/h in a 80km/h zone are some of the reasons for that.

While I agree with you that a higher speed can lead to more damage in case of an accident, I also say that a slow driver can cause the same danger on the road.

I'm ok with slow drivers as long as they do it in the travel lane and not in the passing lane.

Or, when they pull over every now and then and let the faster vehicles pass.

You do that, right?

My sweet spot is 120km/h (75mph). Fuel mileage is still decent and I have the feeling that I'm moving :) .

so long

j-ten-ner

I drive in the right lane, yes. I do pull over and allow others to pass or move to the right and give them as good a look as possible to enhance OUR survival rate. I've even blocked the idiot that would not have survived the ill advised pass in the fog and was run down and thanked for it.

In this state we even have passing lanes on long hills. I think most states I've traveled do. The law allows for it and the safety (civil) engineers provided the means for it. Moving quickly does not me illegally or unsafely. I don't believe we get to choose our own definitions. A car/truck driven within with in the laws of man and paying attention to the laws of physics abiding God's moral requirements for love of neighbor and self is still light speed faster than a horse, which it replaced or walking. It's also vastly quicker that the wheelchair or a coffin.

Trust me on this. I have some experience in this area I wish I did not and over forty years later the haunting continues. I can assure you the only ones still irrationally signing the speed tune are 1.) those who have not put someone in either a chair or coffin 2.) or not in one themselves. Well and 3.) the sociopath perhaps. It's sad actually that we, as a species have to personally put our finger in light socket to fully appreciate the power of electricity.

I will defend your rights and privilege to do the speed limit but I will never concede that it is safer or that you have some right to disregard my families safety for your believed rights to personal expediency at everyone else cost.

It's a paradox actually that the majority of drivers are those who lack the tragic experiences to fully appreciate this and at the same time I am so thankful that they do indeed lack that experience. Good ol common sense however would be an acceptable substitute.

I'm not going to post to this tread again as I have nothing further to add to it that would not be inflammatory. Have a nice day and please...be safe.

I think my perspective is slightly different than most. I have a class 1 CDL, and have driven commercial trucks. Due to the size, one needs to keep a larger gap behind the preceeding vehicle. Staying steady saves fuel, and brakes, if the traffic jams up suddenly. If a light has been green, for a long time, we call it a stale green. By anticipating it, there is no need to jam on the brake, if it suddenly changes. Stay out of the passing lane, unless passing, or letting entering vehicles merge in.

So far, I have had 2 K2500HDs. Both were gas 6.0. The first one had 4:10, and the present has 3:83 gearing. The lower gears made the engine rev higher, in order to maintain highway speeds. At 70 mph, the 4:10 turned at 2500rpm, the 3:83 turns at 1800 rpm. This means that the 4:10 truck was screaming toward 3000 rpm @75 mph. That was noisy, and the truck didn't really seem to like it. Why beat it up? If you want to go fast, buy a sports car. Trucks aren't meant to handle as well, at higher speeds.

It all boils down to planning ahead, staying in the correct lane. Don't get put in unavoidably dangerous positions. Most of all, even if other drivers are rude, use proper etiquette. It will save you, and your truck.

On the highway, where I can do it without having to constantly tap the breaks, I set it at 73. Fast enough to keep up in the slow lane without having to switch lanes to often. With a trailer I never go above 65. I prefer to set the cruise and forget it rather than weaving in and out lanes

It all boils down to planning ahead, staying in the correct lane. Don't get put in unavoidably dangerous positions. Most of all, even if other drivers are rude, use proper etiquette. It will save you, and your truck.

Good advice and attitude.

I'm amazed at how clueless many drivers are to what is happening ahead of them on the roadway, it's as if they can only see as far as the car ahead of them.

I cruise with the flow of traffic BUT I don't drive along in a clump of vehicles. I'll slow or speed up as needed to be "alone" on the roadway as much as possible.

People always in a hurry. Ever notice overweight folks in the most hurry? Or racing to get to a job that you know people hate. I drive 5 mph over. Bout it. Racing around like a rat make you one of the rats....in a elfin maze(Rancid)

I am not overweight at all, place in every marathon I race in, never been in a crash, EVOC certified, and run code several times a week. Maybe someday when I am retired and have nothing to do I will drive 55mph and see the countryside, I find it much safer to drive with the flow of traffic regardless of how fast that may be.

99% of the MVA's I respond to seem to be stupid people regardless of weight, lots of shitty drivers...

I drive usually what the average surrounding traffic drives. However I usually keep it no more than 10 over the posted on the interstate no more than 5 on the surface roads. Its actually safer to keep up with traffic. Differential in speed causes more accidents than just speeding. So if you are in a 65MPH zone and the traffic average is 70 and you decide to go 55 you are at higher risk of an accident or causing one. Obviously road conditions, load etc effect maximum speed. Of course that does not shield you from a ticket...however most cops won't bother you for 10 over or less on the highway.

I drive usually what the average surrounding traffic drives. However I usually keep it no more than 10 over the posted on the interstate no more than 5 on the surface roads. Its actually safer to keep up with traffic. Differential in speed causes more accidents than just speeding. So if you are in a 65MPH zone and the traffic average is 70 and you decide to go 55 you are at higher risk of an accident or causing one. Obviously road conditions, load etc effect maximum speed.

This describes my tendencies pretty close as well with the 10 over on highways and 5 over on surface roads typically as my max, but generally just staying with the flow of traffic especially on highways.

I also agree with the speed differential hazard comment. In my opinion, going significantly slower is more dangerous than speeding by the same differential. When you are going slow you force everyone else on the road to go around you, however someone speeding, although still dangerous, only forces that person to go around everyone else, generally not interrupting your travel pattern much if at all.

Archived