In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I was just driving back from vacation early morning and had my arm on the window and noticed something flapping in the wind. Looked to my passenger side and nothing so then I started looking in the mirror and noticed I had a door pillar cover flapping, particularly when I'd get above 65mph.

Brought it to the dealer and when I was there we realized 4 out of the 6 had this problem. Service advisor indicated this was a known issue and its a replacement part with a new design. Was under warranty so I lucked out and got free replacements.

The covers are secured by a bolt at the bottom and its the middle or top that flaps. I thought I'd share as I had 4 out that I didn't realize and they must have been doing this for some time. You can easily test by just pushing on it in the middle and top and if there is any give, it probably needs to be replaced. I've seen on other forums some people use silicon to fill it if its out of warranty and it seems to hold.

so far both on left rear passenger door and front on right rear passenger door all failed.

my suburban was purchased used with 70k on it, so no warranty ;(

these dang things are expensive 

I had mine also do this. I removed all four they are held in by clips and I added some 2 part epoxy found in any auto store. Now there are solid! Good Luck! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By v2GetEm
      This weekend someone slammed my passenger door probably to hard in my opinion. Not sure if this is the cause of the problem but the issue did start soon after. The Window and mirror lost power first intermittently, now completely. I checked the fuse and also didn’t see anything obvious as far as wires being loose or broken from the harness. Any suggestions or recommendations for a fix would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Alec DiAstra
      GM recalls 160,000 pickup trucks in Canada for fire risks, nothing announced in US yet
      As of right now there is a recall for all GM 1500's years 2014-2018 that have both a rear window defogger and a power sliding rear window. 
      https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-recall-pickup-trucks-canada-fire-risks/

That recall has not been expanded to the US.

I Just got off the phone with GM and filed a request to have the recall expanded to the US. I would encourage everyone who this applies to in this forum to do the same. It takes about 5-10 min but could save us all a lot of hassle later. 

HAVE YOUR VIN READY
      Call GM @1 (866) 522-9559
      Reference this recall number:
      Manufacturer Recall Number
      N192220470
      (This is the recall number from GM in Canada)
      (reference: 
      https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2019325&cf=SearchResult&pg=50)

They will tell you that the recall only applies in Canada and not to your VIN. 
      Express to them that the recall needs to be expanded to the US since our vehicles are also affected. 

Please post here if you have called GM (just so we can keep track) 
      Please also post if you have experienced this issue (smoke, glass breakage, etc) 

Affected components: electrical – rear window defroster on trucks equipped with the power sliding rear window.
      Affected vehicles:
      2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado LD 2014-2018 GMC Sierra 1500 2015-2019 GMC Sierra HD 2014-2018 GMC Sierra LD  

It may be a good idea to sticky this topic. 

• By cr250Silverado
      I was driving through a curve while looking at a bear out my driver side window at 5 mph. The road apparently straighten out but I didn’t.   I drove 2 feet off the road and drove up onto an approximately 2 foot tall boulder.... There was a smaller rock directly in front of it to guide my tire up onto it.   I immediately felt my front end lifting up and I turned toward the right while applying my brakes. My truck came off the boulder and I “high centered” it on my driver side rocker panel and driver side door.   

Anyone have experience taking this in for repairs through insurance?  The rocker panel is part of the 1 piece cab. Will they need to replace the whole cab, or are there parts they can weld in? What is the damage $? I plan on taking it to my dealership as they have a body shop.  I guess I am afraid it may be totaled if it requires a whole cab replacement... 

• By LSU tiger fan
      My first post!!  I purchased the OPT7 AURA Pro light kit to install on the floor board  in my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. (Hard to believe a $67,000 truck does not have lights there).  Does anyone know which wire from the door that tells the dome light to come on when the door opens?  Or have the wiring diagram? 
    • By GMCDW08
      On my 2008 GMC Sierra SLE ext. cab, my “driver door ajar” warning comes on when I put the vehicle into gear. My dome lights turn off and the doors all lock, including the driver door. Would the problem be in the driver door latch? Is there anything else that could cause this issue?

Thank you.