2017 2500 Silverado, 6.0 Motor

i havent been able to take her out on the interstate yet to see how "good" the fuel economy is without the camper attached, yet, but so far, around town, to and from work, driving it EXTREMELY easy (which is hard for me if you knew my personality), i mean, im driving like granpa, and the best ive gotten is 10 mpg. sheeeesh!!! Oh well, the $20K i did NOT spend at the dealer is just being spent at the gas pumps. LoL!!

Don't expect much better on the freeway

I've got just under 1k miles on my '17, pulling my 6k lb camper @ ~50-55, I'm getting around 10 mpg, on the highway, unloaded I've managed around 16. Not as good as my '11 5.3, but that didn't pull as nice.

--JOsh

im up to 13 now on my commute to and from work. All back roads with one 2 mile stretch on the interstate at 70.

I will say, that turning off the "grade braking assist" via the tow haul button has helped tremendously. Noticed a big difference the first time i disabled it. And surprisingly, i actually remember it each time i enter the truck.

Well, that and the fact i couldnt FIND a damn 1500 in the LT version, they all were the LTZ's which were about 10K more than i gave for this one. Guess i'll just baby it a little more than i would normally and leave it alone.

Thanks for the feedback!

The 17% off msrp GM promotion on 1500 LT's blew out a lot of the LT inventory. I think it went from 6/1-7/31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 17% off msrp GM promotion on 1500 LT's blew out a lot of the LT inventory. I think it went from 6/1-7/31.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, 14% off 2500s, glad I got in on that! Love the truck!7b980861a4bc785021e9e7e4edcd0887.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

probably so.

Yep, 14% off 2500s, glad I got in on that! Love the truck!

I hear ya. Mine was 16% off MSRP. I get the GM employee discount, and we worked the deal both ways to see which was better. Had i gone with my discount, the price would have been $3700 more than i actually paid for the truck. So for that difference in price, i went ahead and purchased the comprehensive extended warranty with bumper to bumper coverage for 10 years or 150,000 miles.

I'm happy with what this truck cost. I got it for "almost" the same dollar amount i paid for my Duramax back in 2003.

probably so.

I hear ya. Mine was 16% off MSRP. I get the GM employee discount, and we worked the deal both ways to see which was better. Had i gone with my discount, the price would have been $3700 more than i actually paid for the truck. So for that difference in price, i went ahead and purchased the comprehensive extended warranty with bumper to bumper coverage for 10 years or 150,000 miles.

I'm happy with what this truck cost. I got it for "almost" the same dollar amount i paid for my Duramax back in 2003.

Same here, I bought a new Duramax in 2003. Engine and tranny combo ran price up. I had injectors changed twice within 120 miles, once on them, once on me, $4k worth.

I could've bought another Dmax but because of everything stated here already, I didn't want one. It was a bit tough finding what I wanted with the 6.0 but did find it and I'm very happy so far.

I didn't expect great mileage, it's not a daily driver anyway, about 6 weeks old and less than 300 miles. Good choice for me, hope to have it a long time.

I see many Dmax's that never tow anything, owners just wanting bragging rights..... wth? Not logical.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased this truck after 14 years of ownership of my 2003 Duramax. I kind of figured that my fuel economy wasnt going to be as good, and having owned a 2002 1500HD with the 6.0 motor that had pathetic fuel economy, i was hoping that in 15 years they had improved the fuel economy a bit. Doesnt seem like it right now as im lucky to get 14mpg or so on the interstate and 12 around town.

Granted, ive literally only had this truck for 2 days and only have 220 miles on it and its not even broken in yet, BUT, here is my question (since ive only dealt with my Duramax for 14 years), what can i do (relatively inexpensively) to improve fuel economy on this 6.0 motor'd truck? Ive been out of the "gas" world and have no idea what theyre doing to gas trucks these days to improve gas mileage.

Oh, and for the record, this is the 6.0 FLEX fuel motor. And i doubt i'll be running much E85 thru it.

My current average right now is 17 mpg, best I've seen was 21 but that was hours of cruising on flat ground with cruise set at 55. Ticket is driving like you got an egg under the gas pedal. In the winter I get like 7-10 around town lol but that's excessive idling

I see many Dmax's that never tow anything, owners just wanting bragging rights..... wth? Not logical.

I don't tow a huge trailer

I don't put enough miles on in a year anymore no weekend 'commuting'.

I don't need to drop several more Gs on the purchase price

I don't need the extra maintenance costs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased this truck after 14 years of ownership of my 2003 Duramax. I kind of figured that my fuel economy wasnt going to be as good, and having owned a 2002 1500HD with the 6.0 motor that had pathetic fuel economy, i was hoping that in 15 years they had improved the fuel economy a bit. Doesnt seem like it right now as im lucky to get 14mpg or so on the interstate and 12 around town.

Granted, ive literally only had this truck for 2 days and only have 220 miles on it and its not even broken in yet, BUT, here is my question (since ive only dealt with my Duramax for 14 years), what can i do (relatively inexpensively) to improve fuel economy on this 6.0 motor'd truck? Ive been out of the "gas" world and have no idea what theyre doing to gas trucks these days to improve gas mileage.

Oh, and for the record, this is the 6.0 FLEX fuel motor. And i doubt i'll be running much E85 thru it.

Its a truck....if you wanted good fuel economy and its such big deal you should have bought a car.

• Like 1

Its a truck....if you wanted good fuel economy and its such big deal you should have bought a car.

well no shit sherlock.

Ive owned a truck for the last 25 years. Was i expecting 30mpg? No.

I "was" hoping for a bit better than this tho. Considering this motor (as i said in my original post, i had back in 2002) has been around for YEARS, you'd THINK they'd do something to make it just a TAD better than it is as it hasnt changed since the last one i owned.

My brother in law just bought a 2017 1500 LTZ with the 6.2 and 8 speed tranny, with full towing package and gets 17-18 around town, and 22-24 on the interstate.

So, no i dont expect since i own a truck to get Toyota Camry fuel economy, but they could DAMN sure with all the BS theyre doing to motors these days, make this one get better than 12-13.

My current average right now is 17 mpg, best I've seen was 21 but that was hours of cruising on flat ground with cruise set at 55. Ticket is driving like you got an egg under the gas pedal. In the winter I get like 7-10 around town lol but that's excessive idling

on a 6.0 with 4.10 gears?!?! Wow! I'd be ecstatic to get those numbers. LoL

I baby the gas pedal on this one more than any vehicle ive ever owned and the BEST i got was 16.4 on the interstate, and that was on the "avg. for the last 25 miles" screen. The average for an entire tank of fuel (36 gallons) of interstate driving was 14.5 with cruise set on 70 the entire trip.

Same here, I bought a new Duramax in 2003. Engine and tranny combo ran price up. I had injectors changed twice within 120 miles, once on them, once on me, $4k worth.

I could've bought another Dmax but because of everything stated here already, I didn't want one. It was a bit tough finding what I wanted with the 6.0 but did find it and I'm very happy so far.

I didn't expect great mileage, it's not a daily driver anyway, about 6 weeks old and less than 300 miles. Good choice for me, hope to have it a long time.

i hear ya on the dmax issues. I hauled a race trailer for 12 years, so it was definitely a plus for me to have that rather than a gasser. I traded in my 02 HD with a 6.0 motor in it less than a year old as i was spending my race budget up before i ever got to the track at only 5-6 mpg. Dmax more than doubled that mpg and for the first 5 years, was trouble free.

This 2500 i have now has everything i wanted in a truck. It was the only one like it within a 250 mile radius of where i was at when i bought it. Unfortunately (mpg speaking), it IS my daily driver. FORTUNATELY, i only drive 18 miles one way to work in virtually no traffic. I can deal with the crappy fuel economy when pulling my RV as we only go camping once every couple of months. Roadracing motorcycles, i was doing 18+ weekends a year hauling anywhere from 12K-15K pound race trailer and NEEDED something that was going to get "manageable" fuel economy and hold up to the long hauling time which i knew the Allison tranny was capable of.

i hear ya on the dmax issues. I hauled a race trailer for 12 years, so it was definitely a plus for me to have that rather than a gasser. I traded in my 02 HD with a 6.0 motor in it less than a year old as i was spending my race budget up before i ever got to the track at only 5-6 mpg. Dmax more than doubled that mpg and for the first 5 years, was trouble free.

This 2500 i have now has everything i wanted in a truck. It was the only one like it within a 250 mile radius of where i was at when i bought it. Unfortunately (mpg speaking), it IS my daily driver. FORTUNATELY, i only drive 18 miles one way to work in virtually no traffic. I can deal with the crappy fuel economy when pulling my RV as we only go camping once every couple of months. Roadracing motorcycles, i was doing 18+ weekends a year hauling anywhere from 12K-15K pound race trailer and NEEDED something that was going to get "manageable" fuel economy and hold up to the long hauling time which i knew the Allison tranny was capable of.

I came from a 2007 Avalanche 5.3 w/ 4L60 and a 3.73 rear. Owned it for 10 years and averaged 14 mpg so I definitely can't complain about 12-13 mpg averages. The little extra I spend in gas I make up for in motor oil. It's nice not to need to pour a quart of oil between changes into that oil burning AFM motor anymore.

well no shit sherlock.

Ive owned a truck for the last 25 years. Was i expecting 30mpg? No.

I "was" hoping for a bit better than this tho. Considering this motor (as i said in my original post, i had back in 2002) has been around for YEARS, you'd THINK they'd do something to make it just a TAD better than it is as it hasnt changed since the last one i owned.

My brother in law just bought a 2017 1500 LTZ with the 6.2 and 8 speed tranny, with full towing package and gets 17-18 around town, and 22-24 on the interstate.

So, no i dont expect since i own a truck to get Toyota Camry fuel economy, but they could DAMN sure with all the BS theyre doing to motors these days, make this one get better than 12-13.

The motor has probably lasted fhis long because GM isn't messing with it. Keep that AFM crap out of these trucks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1