2007 OBD not working

Found that my OBD isn't working today while trying to get my truck inspected. Did the research and found that the answer is probably the fuse. It looks like it's blown, and I will replace and take back to the inspector to see if it's now working. HOWEVER, the mechanic insisted that Chevrolet BY LAW has to fix the OBD when it's not working at no charge. I can't find anything online to support this. Does anyone know anything about this??

Found that my OBD isn't working today while trying to get my truck inspected. Did the research and found that the answer is probably the fuse. It looks like it's blown, and I will replace and take back to the inspector to see if it's now working. HOWEVER, the mechanic insisted that Chevrolet BY LAW has to fix the OBD when it's not working at no charge. I can't find anything online to support this. Does anyone know anything about this??

Never heard of that. Some states may work differently. I think I'd be tempted to take it to another place

Make sure you check the Cigarette lighter fuse. Could some reason GM decided to get the power for the OBD Port form there.

I know this because the shop that did my emissions pointed it out as a possible cause when mine didn't work. They actually gave me the fuse and I swapped it out in the parking lot.

Worked just fine after that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by 007matman

Thanks! Yes, I figured out the fuse issue and found the correct one. I was just curious about the statement that Chevy had to fix it. I did some more research and I think what he's referring to is a law that says they have to warranty the emissions systems for 8 years. I'm just two past that! Oh well. I'll replace the fuse tomorrow and have it checked again.

Appreciate your answer.

• 2 years later...

Never heard of having GM pay for it. The shop where I took my truck to the first time couldn't connect and right away told me it could be a very expensive fix. Something about probably a pinched wire harness or something.

I knew what was wrong (based on previous experience with my '04) and proved to him it was just a blown fuse. That was after he advised me I didn't know what I was talking about.

I don't know if he was blowing smoke or not about the repair. However, I do know that electronics can be very pricy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk