Torque specs for aluminum spacers/ wheels

So I know factory torque spec is 140 ft lbs for the steel rims. 140 for aluminum is awfully high IMO or I just might be wrong. I've done some research but always get varied answers. Anybody have a clue on what torque is need so my wheels don't fly off?

599227422f3753d6cd67322e5a1a7a45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right on the money it's 140 no matter what steel or aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Really? Should I torque by increments for example start around 50 ft lb eventually hitting 140 to avoid any deformation?

• Like 1

Really? Should I torque by increments for example start around 50 ft lb eventually hitting 140 to avoid any deformation?

You are over thinking it tigten them up snug and then get the torque wrench and tighten them to 140lbs in a star pattern. The reason for different torque specs are due to different stud sizes not the rim material here read this.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=107

You are over thinking it tigten them up snug and then get the torque wrench and tighten them to 140lbs in a star pattern. The reason for different torque specs are due to different stud sizes not the rim material here read this.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=107

Thank you. It's just that if had issues in the past with aluminum wheels. So the 140 is the correct torque spec?!!

Thank you. It's just that if had issues in the past with aluminum wheels. So the 140 is the correct torque spec?!!

Chances are the issues you had in the past where idiots with a powerful impact wrench that didn't bother with a torque wrench. If I don't do my tires myself I make sure I'm at a place where I can watch them use the torque wrench.

Chances are the issues you had in the past where idiots with a powerful impact wrench that didn't bother with a torque wrench. If I don't do my tires myself I make sure I'm at a place where I can watch them use the torque wrench.

Exactly what had happened to me at my local tire shop. They used an impact wrench causing damage to two method race wheels which had to be replaced. [emoji19]

Exactly what had happened to me at my local tire shop. They used an impact wrench causing damage to two method race wheels which had to be replaced. [emoji19]

Really?? I should stop using my impact wrench then lol, used it on my spacers and wheels and so far so good.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Really?? I should stop using my impact wrench then lol, used it on my spacers and wheels and so far so good.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Depends on how powerful the impact wrench is and even worse is due to any kind of pressure change before the compressor kicks on some wheel lugs could possibly be only about hand tight.

• 5 years later...
On 9/4/2017 at 5:42 AM, Spurshot said:

There's no doubt a torque wrench is the right method to torque wheel lugs. But even NASCAR uses impact wrenches, albeit good ones that they verify torque on.

Nascar also uses the Thunder Gun. It is a powerful tool—a ½-inch impact wrench that uses 110 psi of nitrogen to produce roughly 1000 lb-ft of torque and 15,000 rpm. (A typical impact wrench runs at about 1800 rpm.)

You can use a normal impact gun ang get yourself a torque bar at 140ft.lbs. Once it torques out, Grab a torque wrench and see if it's at 140ft lbs. Or go slow old way. 👍