Tow Mirrors Dilema

papmart

Hello, I'm new to the forum but figured I would start my first post here where it belongs. I bought my first travel trailer and need tow mirrors for my truck that has the small standard mirrors. Currently using the slip on type CIPA mirrors but want to install factory style tow mirrors. My main concern are these reviews that complain about vibrating problems. In my research i've come across three web sites that sell GM OEM mirrors for $340-$360 each, GM Whole sale direct.com, GM Parts Outlet, etc.. Also found several web sites that sell them in pairs for around $250. How do i know that the so called GM OEM mirrors at $700 a set are any better than the others sold at $250 a set. Since i can't find any product reviews from these GM parts vendors i have no reference as to how well they perform. I'd be willing to bet that they are all made in China like most other parts we buy regardless of claiming to be authentic GM parts. Forgive my rant but i'm stuck on what to buy. Thanks in advance for any comments and/or advice.

I have used the GM tow mirrors on both my 07 and my new 17. Vibration is more about the design than anything else. Aftermarket parts are probably just as good as the GM parts and of course cost less. As long as they mount to the truck the same way and are made of the same heavy plastic you should be fine. When buying aftermarket I would also make sure that there is some kind of warranty and/or return policy if you decide you don't like them.

I just noticed in your sig that you appear to have two trucks - an 09 and a 15. If you are looking at adding the mirrors to the 15 you really need to verify that the mounting holes are there. I remember reading about the 1500's in the latest body style not being able to add the tow mirrors unless they came from the factory with the NHT tow package.

Thanks for the reply HD. I will definately take your advice on the warranty and return policy verification. I am looking to mount them on my 15 which came with tow package. Not familiar with the "NHT" acronym, please define. I'm actually going on the assumption that tow mirrors are compatible with my truck from research to purchase said mirrors and watching some how-to videos.

Ok thanks. I have the basic tow package but do not have the 3.73 rear end. The spec lists it as having "TRAILERING EQUIPMENT PKG INCL AUTO LOCKING REAR" but also lists the rear end as "REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO", which i know now is not the optimal differential for towing. I'm looking at the tow mirrors sold by 1A Auto which lists a drill and 3/8" bit as one of tools needed for installation so my assumption is that i will need to drill a hole for the 4th bolt that the NHT option truck would have.

On another question for anyone. My truck mirrors are power controlled, heated, no signals. Would these have a "built-in outside ambient temperature sensor"? How would i know, would the sensor be visible on the outside of the mirror or what?

Heck, As much hassle as i'm going through to make this truck trailer ready I may look at upgrading to a bigger truck, maybe diesel.

Thanks Deadeye i'll check it out. I'm fairly sure that my mirrors do not have an ambient temperature sensor since they don't go into defrost mode unless i turn on the defrost button for the rear window. Anyway that seems to make since to me. At some point a guy just has to roll the dice and see what turns up so i think i'll order the the ones from 1A.

With the tow mirrors do not expect the power fold to work - however your heaters and turn signals should work just fine. Also remember that only the upper portions of these mirrors adjust remotely and are heated.

I remember seeing lots of good installation videos both in this forum and on you tube.

Mine only have power adjustment and heat (defrost) so i'm planning on ordering tow mirrors with the same options. No turn signals, puddle lamps or power fold. Those might be nice features to have but since i don't have them now i won't miss them.

Yep, i've seen several vids that are fairly detailed so hopefully i'll get it done with out too much frustration. Thanks for the help and tips.

They say that hind sight is 20/20, and I got the dealer to add non-power fold tow mirrors. Knowing what I know now, I'd buy the tow mirrors from 1A auto. and have them sent to Phil for the customization. I'd have had the dealer install something else.

I highly recommend reading the thread about adding the Tow Mirror Upgrade and go with the 1A mirrors. You won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i went with the tow mirrors from 1A. I stuck with the ones that have the same features as my stock mirrors which was power control of mirror angle and heated, no turn signal, puddle lamps, etc. I did not want to introduce issues with programming codes and such. Anyway, got em, installed em, they work fine. I did drill for and install a fourth bolt to reduce vibration. There is a little wiggle on rough roads and at highway speeds, more so maybe with them fully extended but not so much that I can't get a clear view of what I'm looking at behind me. I expected there would be some, it's just physics. All in all I'm happy with them and will make backing the trailer much easier. The install was not that difficult. I watched 2 or 3 how to vids and got different helpful tips on each one. I bought a plastic trim tool kit from harbor freight which helped. Thanks all for your helpful tips and advice.

Well i went with the tow mirrors from 1A. I stuck with the ones that have the same features as my stock mirrors which was power control of mirror angle and heated, no turn signal, puddle lamps, etc. I did not want to introduce issues with programming codes and such. Anyway, got em, installed em, they work fine. I did drill for and install a fourth bolt to reduce vibration. There is a little wiggle on rough roads and at highway speeds, more so maybe with them fully extended but not so much that I can't get a clear view of what I'm looking at behind me. I expected there would be some, it's just physics. All in all I'm happy with them and will make backing the trailer much easier. The install was not that difficult. I watched 2 or 3 how to vids and got different helpful tips on each one. I bought a plastic trim tool kit from harbor freight which helped. Thanks all for your helpful tips and advice.

You have gone through the same dilemma I am currently experiencing. I would like to have the extras but only need the heat and adjust. My main concern is removing and reinstalling the door panel. I had issues on my last truck after a door panel was removed by a body shop to repair a dent. Did you experience any snaps or fasteners being problematic during the reinstall?

No matter which mirror you go with, you're going to have to remove the door panel, so you might as well go for the gusto.

I was a little apprehensive about removing the door panel due to issues from previous vehicles, but these GM door panels are extremely to remove and replace. especially if you remove them like Phil shows in his mirror video. There was no problem with the panels on my truck. I went to a local part store and go a plastic trim removal tool kit to prevent and scratches and they worked great.

As I said in an above post. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the power everything. I'd even get the 1A Auto mirrors and send them to Phil to modify and install them. Once I let a little time go by, I may do that anyway. :)

Donstar, No really big problems. The panel below the door pull referred to as the "silver panel below the master switch" in the 1A Auto installation instructions was a little stubborn and thought it might break before it popped loose, and it has those small metal clips of which some stayed on the panel and some stayed on the door. When re-assembling these clips should be on the panel rather than on the door, at least this worked better for me. Make sure you have a all these little buggers counted for before putting things back together. One of mine fell down in the door and i didn't realize it until i had the door panel on so i had to pop the door panel off again to retrieve the clip. All said it wasn't that bad, took about an hour for the first door and 30 minutes for the second after lessons learned. I did plug the mirrors in to verify that everything worked before i re-assembled just in case. Go for it and best of luck.

Archived