Gmc 1500 6.2 won't start sometimes

So my 14 sierra allterrain 6.2 didnt always sound healthy when starting. It seemed weak but still would start. So other day I went to start it and nothing. i was in a hurry and took my other car. Next day it started up. Been fine for a few weeks. We were out tonight at lowes. Went to leave store and bam again dead. Put a jumper box on it battery read almost 13 volts. Tried jumping it from another vehicle...nothing helped. I had a suspicion it wasnt battery. So I started looking at starter and seen that when trying to start truck sparks were shooting out of starter but still won't start. I started moving main wire going into center of starter, tried starting truck again and finally it cranked over and started but it shot out sparks when doing so. Is it safe to guess starter is bad or should I look elsewhere? Thanks for input.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You said you were moving the wire going to the starter? Is it loose? That could cause sparks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, work with me here.... I recall when GM did a big revamp of their engine about a decade ago.... give or take. Even for a while they held within their warranty a "start of the engine within a single crank" kind of verbage....

Needless to say, this was fantastic. I got very used to GM engines being very eger to start. I now have a 2015 Silverado. OK, yes, it starts by itself no matter what. BUT, it seems to take a LOT of turns/cranks to start on a cold day. We all know that today, engines use computer help to start. Hence the remote starts, and app starts, etc etc. Yes, even the key only communicates to a computer "start me up" and away it goes. But the start is so much more difficult today than it was only a few years ago. As it seams....

*soap box for sale....

:)

So my 14 sierra allterrain 6.2 didnt always sound healthy when starting. It seemed weak but still would start. So other day I went to start it and nothing. i was in a hurry and took my other car. Next day it started up. Been fine for a few weeks. We were out tonight at lowes. Went to leave store and bam again dead. Put a jumper box on it battery read almost 13 volts. Tried jumping it from another vehicle...nothing helped. I had a suspicion it wasnt battery. So I started looking at starter and seen that when trying to start truck sparks were shooting out of starter but still won't start. I started moving main wire going into center of starter, tried starting truck again and finally it cranked over and started but it shot out sparks when doing so. Is it safe to guess starter is bad or should I look elsewhere? Thanks for input.

Sparks from a starter are never a good thing. When I sold and tested starters, the only ones that would spark were the worn out starters that were drawing WAY too much juice, and not turning over anymore.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

My 6.2 starts up fine, but does have a squeak for the first few seconds after it starts.

Sounds like a pulley , thinking the AC.

Drives me crazy, but I assume it will be called out as normal.

-S

Let me correct myself so I crawled under the truck it was looking at the starter. You have the starter itself and the selenoid on top of it. Now there is another cylinder type object that is hanging alongside the starter and it has a wire going into the center of it that is where the Sparks were shooting out of but I can't seem to find with that piece is on the parts breakdown anybody have any ideas?

OK, work with me here.... I recall when GM did a big revamp of their engine about a decade ago.... give or take. Even for a while they held within their warranty a "start of the engine within a single crank" kind of verbage....

Needless to say, this was fantastic. I got very used to GM engines being very eger to start. I now have a 2015 Silverado. OK, yes, it starts by itself no matter what. BUT, it seems to take a LOT of turns/cranks to start on a cold day. We all know that today, engines use computer help to start. Hence the remote starts, and app starts, etc etc. Yes, even the key only communicates to a computer "start me up" and away it goes. But the start is so much more difficult today than it was only a few years ago. As it seams....

*soap box for sale....

:)

On my 2017, it has taken me a bit to get used to starts with the DI motors. From what GM states, they need about 30% longer to start then Non-DI motors. That may be part of your frustration.

OP, sparks are bad, buddy. If you are unsure what is going on, I would recommend taking it somewhere. Take a second to make sure everything is tight, you should be able to move any wires.

On my 2017, it has taken me a bit to get used to starts with the DI motors. From what GM states, they need about 30% longer to start then Non-DI motors. That may be part of your frustration.

OP, sparks are bad, buddy. If you are unsure what is going on, I would recommend taking it somewhere. Take a second to make sure everything is tight, you should be able to move any wires.

that info is very good to know. I have thought about putting after market plugs in. Something I've done in the past with good results. Maybe it's time for me to consider that here, especially since the warranty is only a couple months before expiring anyway. Thanks for the info!

I believe this is the part where sparks are flying still need to look at it though. Its not a daily driver so havent had time yet. Its the cylinder type object right next tonstarter with wire in center. Anyone know what this is and if it has anything to do with starter?looks like,it part of wiring harness 9cc9ec7ec407a4a5f247c9e744649207.jpg

starting to have the same problem with my 5.3L V-8. twice, it wouldn't start, had it jumped by roadside assistance. The first guy who jumped be was just some garage guy, but the second was a GM Mechanic who said they are seeing, in his words, "tons" of battery issues lately.

mine is a 2015 Crew Cab with only 11,000 miles on it......if it happens again, I'm taking it in. Are batteries covered by warranty? I'm thinking a new battery for an engine that big can't be cheap......

Archived