Nav Map Update

28 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

More or less any truck with the 8" screen in 2016 onward (some 16s were without) have android auto or Apple car play regardless of factory nav.. in fact given the choice I would just get like my 17 has.. no navigation... but of course thanks to the apps I have android auto running Google map on my trucks screen with turn by turn anytime.  

I even added the IO6 to my 2014 Impalas screen so I now have ACP or AA on it now too... unfortunately I had to add nav too but oh well lol.  

What he said.  On your Android, a small steering wheel icon appears when Android Auto is active.  If you touch that, the screen appears on your truck display and you can choose navigation. 

21 hours ago, elchilero53 said:

What he said.  On your Android, a small steering wheel icon appears when Android Auto is active.  If you touch that, the screen appears on your truck display and you can choose navigation. 

Correct but that's only true for 2016+ trucks.  The OP has a 2015 so his radio doesn't support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.  And it can't be added without replacing the HMI with one from the newer trucks.

Edited by sk

14 minutes ago, sk said:

Correct but that's only true for 2016+ trucks.  The OP has a 2015 so his radio doesn't support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.  And it can't be added without replacing the HMI with one from the newer trucks.

Wrong... it's just the under dash modules... the actual dash mounted hmi does not change.  It's not a cheap thing to do but I did it on the sole fact the older 8" screen Is pretty useless otherwise lol.  

Edited by SierraHD17

I forgot to respond to my original post. The voice recognition started working again about 3 days after the update. Not a clue why, but its all working fine since that time. Went on some recently changed roads and it kept up, even on the new double deck portion of I-635 Texpress lanes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 GMC SLE but I only have OnStar Nav so no maps, such a big screen and I can't see a map...I'll be getting a RV Nav system anyway so I don't tow into a low bridge or propane restricted tunnel. Who invented OnStar Nav is not my fav person, just put a map in the truck and let me figure it out, I don't need to have someone to take my address and give me turn by turn directions.

20 hours ago, artywoof said:

I have a 2015 GMC SLE but I only have OnStar Nav so no maps, such a big screen and I can't see a map...I'll be getting a RV Nav system anyway so I don't tow into a low bridge or propane restricted tunnel. Who invented OnStar Nav is not my fav person, just put a map in the truck and let me figure it out, I don't need to have someone to take my address and give me turn by turn directions.

im not a fan of the turn by turn. I never use that. wouldn't have wanted the truck without nav

• 3 weeks later...

They just sent me a great (not) $20 off to update for only $139 for Christmas. This is just simply stupid expensive. I bought a top of the line Garmin for that price and I get map updates 4X per year FOR FREE along with free traffic!!!! And the Garmin does a ton more than the Chevy nav. I am OFFENDED at the price they want for this!

Unfortunately, the built in nav maps are several years out of date in many areas.  I bought an update for my 2014 Tahoe and wouldn't you know it, the map was still two years out of date.  I just use the nav setup on my Android phone. At least it updates on a regular basis.  ?

Edited by elchilero53

Watch your data as car play uses a bit of data on long trips. I like it though, car play that is. Have it in my car. When we get the new truck my wife wants the built in navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have unlimited data because my kids are data sucking animals! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, calgator73 said:

I have a 2015.5 with Factory nav. Anybody know of a company that offers an Android auto / car play update?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The only way I know to do it is to switch out the HMI.  Chris White on this forum can do it for you.