Do I need an alignment?

Just replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my 05 1500 z71 CC. (No adjustment of the tie rod at all) Test drove the truck and it has no pull to either side or shimmy while driving. Everything feels smooth. Just curious what you guys think on alignment. I'm considering just getting a free alignment check at Goodyear or sears just to see. I'd hate for them to say "yep you need one" just to make money whether it's out of alignment or not.

If you get a free check and they say it needs one, just ask to see their alignment printout. It will show you if it's out of alignment and how bad out of alignment it is. Most shops I've been to, I've been able to watch them set everything up and make their measurements so you should be able to know whether or not they actually checked it.

I have always been told that new ball joints or new tie rods=new alignment.  Unless it is a off road/gravel road/mudpit/rock crawler truck where you don't care about tire wear.  Some places will do an 'alignment check' for a lesser cost, and then if it needs an alignment, they'll do it for the full price. 

Your last alignment was set when the ball joints were probably healthier than they were before changing and thus with new ones your geometry is likely out of spec.  A 2" level in the front will ruin a set of front tires in no time if an alignment is not done.

Archived