Normal or severe maintenance schedule

I have been looking at the manual for my 2015 Silverado, and had a few questions concerning the intervals and warranty. One schedule doesn’t mention transmission fluid change, but the severe does. Without getting into if the changes are worth it or not, which one do you have to follow to not void the warranty? I’ve tried to do research on it, but haven’t seen much. I don’t want to void my warranty, due to rarely towing or off roading with my truck, and following the normal routine, then to find out I needed to follow severe and change tranny/transfer case etc. fluids. Any thoughts?

Edited by infamous9

You might consider sending an email to GM.  Give them all the info (VIN #, etc) and how you use the truck (drive off-road, city, highway) and ask them what routine you should follow. If they reply, you will then have a written answer should you ever have need of proof.

• Like 1

If you go to the dealership for your oil change chances are the sticker they put on the windshield will be for sever scheduled car or truck. That’s been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extreme service- For vehicles mainly driven off-road, in four-wheel drive or used in farming, mining, forestry, Department of Natural Resources (DNR), or snow plowing.     -- Unless you fall under these categories, you don't have a warranty concern.  You may choose to do unscheduled maintenance for peace of mind but I wouldn't be concerned about a warranty claim if your vehicle is used for "normal" operation.  

• Like 2

BTW The information I gave was directly quoted from your owner's manual.  This would serve as a written response from GM if there was a dispute. (Probably will be the same statement they send back to you)

Edited by Donstar

I am going to try to get ahold of gm and get a written response back. Thanks for the reply’s. As you can see, and probably know, it seems to be a muddy topic. 

Do you meet the criteria Donstar spoke of? If not, then it’s the regular schedule.

I ask my dealer in Texas why the severe service? The answer was our weather is plus 90 degrees normally. I said really the engine and transmission is thermostatly controlled higher than that. The usual blank stare followed.

20 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I ask my dealer in Texas why the severe service? The answer was our weather is plus 90 degrees normally. I said really the engine and transmission is thermostatly controlled higher than that. The usual blank stare followed.

I was told the same thing when I moved to Florida. Dealer stated it was a sever environment for any auto doing anything. I can agree. June-August here is ridiculously hot in south Florida and your fluids are constantly being broken down. Truck calls for 0/20w, I got my free oil change it has 5/30w? They said thats what we use here because of the heat, your not in a cold environment.  I follow sever here but would not use it depending on what I did with the vehicle and the temps elsewhere. 

I was told the same thing when I moved to Florida. Dealer stated it was a sever environment for any auto doing anything. I can agree. June-August here is ridiculously hot in south Florida and your fluids are constantly being broken down. Truck calls for 0/20w, I got my free oil change it has 5/30w? They said thats what we use here because of the heat, your not in a cold environment.  I follow sever here but would not use it depending on what I did with the vehicle and the temps elsewhere. 

Really? My temp gauge never moves from 30-100 degrees. When its warm everything is up to temp quicker. It’s an excuse to sell more oil changes and more chance to up-sell the customer. I was in the equipment business for 40 years, manage heat is good.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Really? My temp gauge never moves from 30-100 degrees. When its warm everything is up to temp quicker. It’s an excuse to sell more oil changes and more chance to up-sell the customer. I was in the equipment business for 40 years, manage heat is good.

Agreed, gets up to temp sooner. Issues from cold start up are NOT an issue. Lubrication is good and Florida cars get high miles with proper maintenance. Who's doing extra oil changes? I do an oil analysis on all my cars and compare with the owners manual. I have several cars and will use BMW as an example. They run very hot plus it's very hot here. On my older one the interval is 15,000 miles. Oil is as good as when the addative package wears out and it reaches a high contamination level. At that point it is useless, and abrasive causing wear. I found that my BMW's oil here in Florida under normal use was used up at 9500 miles, according to my Blackstone oil reports,  they recommended an earlier change interval than 9500 with the condition of that oil. But BMW recommends 15K? So sorry I don't trust manufactures to care about my vehicle. They have a general recommendation, and mainly get you through the warranty period. I check for myself and take care of my stuff for the long haul not the warranty. Heat or should I say constant high heat does break down the fluids. Which is the sever recommendation which coincides with my analysis. So I do the earlier recommendation which I found to be right from a proper analysis not my feelings or thoughts, just facts. I will say each car I have is differnt, My wife's VW 1.8 is a 10K change. Her oil comes back good at 10K so that's what I stick with. I tow, with my truck and the heat keep me doing my fluids sooner or at sever. If the OP is not in a sever environment or use then he should do the regular schedule.