2017 silverado 5.3 stalling

i am the only one that happen... this morning 3 time my truck die on my when i was at a stop... i tried 3 time to start it but it kept stalling instantly... the only way i was able to move again was to keep the trottle at 1/4 and put it in drive and when it started to go i floor it and it didn stall back... spoke to the dealer and they cant chek the truck before the 27... so i got a brand new truck that i dont know if i will get stuck whit it... 

for informaton i got a k&n cai a upr catch can and i fill the truck with 94 octane gas... 

anybody have ever see that... 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your K&N filter Wet or Dry type??

It's possible for K&N "Wet" filters to mess up MAS-Air flow sensors, causing these type issues..

Get some MAS spray and clean unit and replace filter with dry type..

Cheers---K

Yup,, that does seem to be a bit odd..

Its possible that the cold air may have started MAS issues, or you have light oil build-up on unit..

Check out other threads on this problem for some additional background on stalling..

At least its a good place to start..

Cheers----K

My Silverado oil level is also high, not as high as yours but way over full for a factory fill??

Was thinking of draining and refilling with 8 Qtrs. to see where it reads on the stick.

I first noticed it at about 1500 miles, anyone else run across this???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also noticed my "adaptive exhaust valve" is sticking at idle, I checked 14 other new 2017 Silverado  take-off exhaust systems this week at work and not one was sticking?

Not sure if there related issues or not??

2 hours ago, math_10silverado said:

after a chekup the mas is clean so it is not the problem... what i have found is that the oil lever is stupidly high... like 3 inch over the top of the upper line on the dipstick... 

Who changed your oil? I actually ran into this a few weeks ago with a truck doing the same thing. I was going to say to check and see if the oil was overfilled. 

There was a change in the oil capacity on these vehicles where they changed it from 8.5 to 8 quarts. We were noticing when people put the whole extra .5 quarts when people had 9 quarts in the truck it was causing a stalling issue. I have no idea why, but if you remove it, it will more than likely take care of your issue.

15 minutes ago, rtownsend said:

Mine is way over the full mark with 8 quarts also

This is the first GM engine that I've seen that may read over full on the dip stick with the correct amount of oil capacity?!

Mine is 3/4-1" above the full mark.

What ever happen to "do not over fill" or is there another TSB on the horizon?

2 minutes ago, Rubyralph said:

This is the first GM engine that I've seen that may read over full on the dip stick with the correct amount of oil capacity?!

Mine is 3/4-1" above the full mark.

What ever happen to "do not over fill" or is there another TSB on the horizon?

There is already a TSB out since 2014...

#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)

SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 7.5L 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above. 

Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

I will drain my oil and replace the filter, then refill with 8 qtrs. to verify the oil stick level.

Seems strange that a new 2017 engine may be over filled with oil?

Will follow up when completed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Drive safe.

Ralph 

Archived