Payload what the most you have had in your bed

• 4 months later...

Ok back at this now I'm thinking about 2500 leaf springs they will bolt right up and they say the ride is not bad or air bags what's everyone's thoughts on either? 

At a certain point, your main concern would be going over the GAWR for the rear.

No matter how much you beef up the tires and suspension, the rear axle will be the weakest link. In a 1500 with a semi-floating rear axle, the driveshafts have to support the load. In a 2500 with a full floating rear axle, the axle housing supports the load and the driveshaft only propels the tires.

I'm not a GM engineer so I'm not sure how stout those rear half-shafts are. I'm sure there is a safety margin built into the rear GARW rating, but it may be time to step up to a 2500 or a SRW 3500.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cire0309 said:

At a certain point, your main concern would be going over the GAWR for the rear.

No matter how much you beef up the tires and suspension, the rear axle will be the weakest link. In a 1500 with a semi-floating rear axle, the driveshafts have to support the load. In a 2500 with a full floating rear axle, the axle housing supports the load and the driveshaft only propels the tires.

I'm not a GM engineer so I'm not sure how stout those rear half-shafts are. I'm sure there is a safety margin built into the rear GARW rating, but it may be time to step up to a 2500 or a SRW 3500.

Very true but I'm not ready for the step up of 40 k $ for one I feel very safe with my current set up just looking to reduce some sag that's all I know my truck will not be a 2500 just from springs just looking for sone insight from others who have bags or maybe out stronger springs on there's 

• 3 weeks later...

I find air bags to be a very good option. You can pump them up to level the load and then let them back down when you're running empty to maintain a decent ride. Heavier springs are a permanent change and will add a lot of stiffness to the ride.

As stated above, the rear axle is what limits your GVWR. It will fail before any of the extra suspension aids.

Had a pallet of yellow squash in the back of my 2002 which weighs 1,600lbs.  Road nice.  I have load E Michelin M/S 2's on it. 

I also have filled the bed up completely full with dirt and the springs were on the axle bump stops, but I was only going a mile down the road from where I got the dirt to the house. 

Well I ordered some leaf springs off eBay don't know when I will get them but we will see how the ride and handling will be. Chose them over bags because they were cheaper and I was worried about the bags being pulled apart when ever put on a lift and the axil dropping down I could never get a straight answer from etrailer or firestone about the proper way to set them up for the min max height and how much to allow for lift and streach when the axil drops. 

That is the beauty of SumoSprings.... the effect of air bags but none of the problems.  I put a set of 1500 lb Sumosprings on my 2500.  They just replace the bump stops and rest on the axle.  A 15 minute job.

https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings/

• Like 1