2017 Silverado WT Key fob installation

Ok, need some help.  looked around here and there is no good information on installing key fobs on a 2017 Silverado WT.  It did not come from the factory with them.  I have the Au3 code in the glove box. The dealer thinks it needs a very expensive kit. I have onstar, power door locks but no gosh darn key fobs. I do not need remote start. Just need to install key fobs  Also very little information on the internet. Local stereo guy says he can't do it. 

Edited by crabbcat

crabbcat, I'm confused too !  My 2016 Silverado WT with the AU3 code for power locks came with two factory remote key fobs when I bought it new. I also have the A91 code for power tailgate lock and A31 for power windows so maybe that is the difference.

Why in the world would the truck have power locks installed from the factory with no way to activate them from outside of the truck ???

If you have Onstar and the MY Chevy app on your smartphone you could use it to lock and unlock the truck but that's kind of a pain.

Have the dealer program a key fob and see if it works.  You have tire pressure sensors which use the same exact module that the key fob uses, the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver).  I have done this twice in the past with success. 

I'm going to try it Monday. My dealer said i need to go to a radio guy...lol  I have found in the past they are completely useless when they worked for two days installing the wire/programming on my aftermarket oem 16 colorado fogs.   They had the wire in the wrong hole in the fuse box so i fixed it myself...lol I talked to another parts department in a town close by and he sounded amenable so i will try him. Thanks. I'm also going to ask about a backup camera. 

Remote start kit from GM accessories is listed at $275 for 2017 1500 silverado

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2017/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/remote-start-kit-22997089?categoryId=12013

I agree with the others that you maybe just need to talk to someone else at the dealer, or perhaps at another dealer.

Edited by redwngr

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Have the dealer program a key fob and see if it works.  You have tire pressure sensors which use the same exact module that the key fob uses, the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver).  I have done this twice in the past with success. 

My 14 WT, I took the same steps. My dealer took a remote programmed it in less than 10 minutes!

Called a local dealer today. The only way i could get key fobs was to get the whole remote start/ hood kit.  275.00 + 1-1/2  hrs labor 180.00.    So about 485.00  but i get the remote start, hood latch and itshould be covered under GM warranty and my extended warranty.  The stereo guy wanted 300 for non oem keyless entry. A no-brainier to go with the dealer this time because with luck i get the alarm too. Get it installed tomorrow at 2.00. I'll update with exactly what i get.  I really didn't want to spend this much but ill see what happens.  He's looking into the rear view camera so maybe i can get a deal on it. Otherwise i can get one myself. After the camera the level kit and gatorback bed cover Thanks!

Did the remote start kit today from the dealer,  461.00 installed and everything works, even the alarm. Well worth it as it was going to be almost 300 for the stereo guy just for non oem fobs. They had a fit with updating the bcm but finally gotit done. The parts guy was a huge help in all this. Next up level it, then rear camera...lol  Thanks for your help. 

So I have a 17 2500hd WT. I been reading all about the rpo codes needed. I do not have some of the codes that some say you need, but my truck has remote entry, and onstar and 20” wheel package. So I’m not sure what’s going on. After a go around with the dealer and having to call Chevy they say I can put the remote start in for 413 dollars. Another dealer wanted $605. Waiting for the new fobs to come in so most likely next week. Hopefully this goes well. 

I have a post going also and had some good feedback on aftermarket ones also