2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

On 5/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, jguzek said:

Glad to hear GM came through. Amazing this is not a safety recall for everyone

I also had my rear window assembly replaced last week under the service bulletin. (parts were on back order for several weeks).

GM eventually came through for me as well, but man!, did they make it hard.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Hello, I just have the exact same issue on my 2016 Sierra Denali, the bulletin that you mentioned applies only for US, my GMC is from Mexico, do you know of there's a bulletin for this cases in Mexico?

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, braka1172 said:

Truckwindow.jpg

Just happened to my 2014 Silverado this past week.  I did a little (and I do mean little) searching on the internet to see if this was a common thing because I had never heard of anything like this happening and it took me 10 seconds to find that there was a recall in Canada for this issue but not in the U.S.. I called GM and was told that it was not a recall issue here and there wasn't anything they could do. I then filed a complaint with the BBB and within an hour I got a call back from GM saying take it to the dealer to have it looked at. Since then I got an estimate from the dealer saying it would cost a little over $1500 to replace the window with no explanation as to what caused the window to explode in the first place and the same line about there being no recall under the VIN and the truck was out of warranty. The cost was to come out of my pocket and I would still have to work with GM to see if I could get reimbursed for any of the cost. This seems to me a good case for a class action lawsuit against GM since they don't seem to admit there is a problem here in the US or that it's not just a certain chain of VIN's this is happening to.

2015 slt here. My driver rear window exploded last Saturday while driving home that evening. Sounded like a gun shot, my wife looked around the back seat but couldn’t see anything wrong, I kept driving. Got home out of the rain and checked it out in the garage, noticed the entire driver window was being held together by tint. Didn’t smell or see smoke. Did use defrost initially to clear fog off side mirrors, but I do not know if it was still on when this occurred. It happened about 15 minutes after we started driving. 

0D675BF4-CE4E-436C-A930-0514BC2B4203.jpeg

36EC8DA4-956E-422B-AA4C-94C5F17DF97F.jpeg

Edited by Skeeter McSkeet

I've been following this topic since it began. It was worrisome because my younger son rides with me frequently and sits in the right rear seat in a booster seat. And now, my grandson who lives with me and his mom often rides in a rear facing seat mounted on left rear seat. The shattering rear windows seem to happen on either side. I followed the advice mid thread about pulling the #10 fuse a couple years back to stop this from happening. I didn't want to risk injuring my son or grandson. Especially since when using remote start when cold out, the rear window defrost would automatically come on. I like that the mirror defrost will still work though. I think it sucks that there was a recall but only covered certain areas and not all the trucks that suffered from this defect. Rear window defrost is a nice feature especially up north but not worth the risk. And honestly, I haven't missed it at all. Until my truck qualifies for the fix, the fuse won't be going back in...

1 hour ago, mikeyk101 said:

I've been following this topic since it began. It was worrisome because my younger son rides with me frequently and sits in the right rear seat in a booster seat. And now, my grandson who lives with me and his mom often rides in a rear facing seat mounted on left rear seat. The shattering rear windows seem to happen on either side. I followed the advice mid thread about pulling the #10 fuse a couple years back to stop this from happening. I didn't want to risk injuring my son or grandson. Especially since when using remote start when cold out, the rear window defrost would automatically come on. I like that the mirror defrost will still work though. I think it sucks that there was a recall but only covered certain areas and not all the trucks that suffered from this defect. Rear window defrost is a nice feature especially up north but not worth the risk. And honestly, I haven't missed it at all. Until my truck qualifies for the fix, the fuse won't be going back in...

Yea man I wish I would have seen this topic, I would have pulled the fuse too.  I live in West Virginia, defrost is needed fairly often here, no idea how we did not get included for the fix.  I'm going through insurance as I have no other option to get it fixed immediately.  Warranties have all been expired.   Currently just looking for who to contact to try and start the conversation to get reimbursed.  These so called local gm reps seem to be unicorns.  

• Sad 1

@Skeeter McSkeet I would call 866-790-5600 which is GM themselves and report the problem. I am going through it right now and working with them and the dealership. I'm still waiting to hear on if they will cover the cost but the more of us that call in the more attention this issue gets. Maybe then GM will see that this is a bigger issue than they are willing to admit at the moment. Don't know if it helps but I'm speaking to a Rep named Lavonda and she seems to be pretty helpful at the moment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Well looks like GM wants to stick their head in the sand yet again and the only thing they are willing to do is refund the cost of the repair off of a New truck. I received a call from a woman claiming to be "Upper Management" this morning and the way she spoke to me just got under my skin. The rep I had been speaking to since this whole thing began had been very polite and seemed pretty concerned but this woman just took an attitude like how dare you claim the GM might have a defect. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, braka1172 said:

Update: Well looks like GM wants to stick their head in the sand yet again and the only thing they are willing to do is refund the cost of the repair off of a New truck. I received a call from a woman claiming to be "Upper Management" this morning and the way she spoke to me just got under my skin. The rep I had been speaking to since this whole thing began had been very polite and seemed pretty concerned but this woman just took an attitude like how dare you claim the GM might have a defect. 

I had about the same experience. GM told me they don't do refunds for warranty claims, and that since my truck is now repaired and in normal working condition there is nothing to file a claim about.  I went though the dealer locally first, they saw nothing as far as tsb's or recalls and recommended going through insurance. 

I was told by GM that I should have let my truck sit as is until they had someone check it out, an estimator of sorts I presume.  Personally I was out of all warranties and I needed the truck in working order ASAP as we only have two vehicles and the wife needs hers for work travel.  I was not willing to rent anything either. 

So for anyone reading this now and seeing all the cryptic posts about going through GM earlier in this thread with no real helpful info....IF your truck was not one of the VIN's listed to get this fix done, you need to call GM and complain/file a claim prior to doing any sort of repair.  Use any 800 number you can find for GM and say you want to file a complaint, they'll transfer you to the right place.   

The representative on the phone knew exactly of the issue I was referring to, knew the bulletin number, knew of the countless ones having issues that did not receive the fix for their VIN, knew they were at fault but refused to help me..this was after being very polite and taking down all my info on a 25 minute phone call...turned into a jekyll/hyde scenario because she turned into a straight up b!tch the last few minutes.  

I will be writing a letter to GM to complain just to vent.