2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Silverado 1500 double cab LTZ rear passenger window exploded. 36 deg outside and started truck to drive home. Did not remote start. Wife heard hissing sound like radio static from the passenger rear seat area. Drove about 200 yards and stopped to investigate. Started smelling something like hot electrical then saw smoke. Turned truck off and about 20 seconds later the window exploded. That was Saturday evening Nov 30th. Monday morning I took it to my dealership and they had not seen anything like this before but contacted GM and got the ball rolling. GM customer service rep called me this morning and asked many questions as to what happened. I have a loaner vehicle approved for up to a month. Hope it doesn't take that long. Sounds like it happens quite often by just what's been posted here.  

Wonder what its going to take to get that Canadian recall extended to the US.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:16 PM, wforrest08 said:

My moms CRV did this a couple years ago as she was backing up in her driveway. The place that replaced it told her that they replace rear and side glass in several vehicles weekly that randomly exploded while driving. Guy said all makes and models he blamed it on the vehicle flexing and putting pressure on the glass. Doubt that’s what happened here but that was the first time I’d ever heard that one.

WRONG

the Issue is GLASS will break from the heat  or from the hot glass touching cold water   or hot water touching  cold glass(less likely to break but can happen)

it's called thermal shock..

there can also be scratches that cause it to "explode "

the truck has  laminated glass   that is why it did not go everywhere..

don't forget GM is known   for   cars catching fire and parts flying off of them 

i guess in this case it's parts flying off of it....

this sums it up

Edited by bg1988

Mines in getting the Canadian Recall work done right now... 

Going by the recall work they are really just putting a band-aid on it.

Bulking things up so there is less of a chance of melting if it does over heat.

The reality of  it is don't open the back window in the rain ever and keep the metal contacts on the slider clean and it will never over heat. That's the point of resistance causing things to over heat.

After just about 1 month of waiting I got the call from GM they approved my claim on Black Friday now waiting for the dealer to get the window in stock??

*Update* Dealer called said glass is going in today and should be able to pickup tomorrow!        7 WEEKS.  SEVEN WEEKS.

Edited by Jonezy911

• 4 weeks later...

Well I hoped it wouldn't take a month but it did. Just got my truck back today with a new rear window covered under warranty. My window shattered last Nov. 30th due to rear window defog malfunction. I got into the dealership on Dec 2nd and it took a month for GM to investigate. I hope the Canadian recall gets extended to the US soon. 

I did the NHTSA complaint and emailed GMC - no response from GMC, what a surprise. Got nowhere with 2 dealers, so I set up an appointment with Safelite - I have $0 deductible comprehensive coverage. I'm not going to screw around with GMC playing games with me. I'll keep my rear defroster relay out until the recall fix comes out. Pretty disappointed in GMC.

Edited by Hobart

• 3 weeks later...

Had this happen on my 2016 Chevy on 1/18.  Saw the dealer yesterday and there is a special bulletin for 14-18 trucks, but only those in "cold" states, which IL is not considered a cold state.  (insert joke about taxes here)

Anyway, dealer so far has declined to cover this, but service asst manager is appealing.  I did report to NHTSA as directed and will see what dealership comes back with.  I asked for the number for the GM rep and was told all they could give me was the 800 number...so I imagine that will be a slow painful climb to get to someone who can actually help.  Hoping the dealership comes back with something (window is currently back ordered) by the time the window is in.  This is completely ridiculous that the insurance companies are having to foot the bill for this obvious design flaw.

1 hour ago, Art Fritz said:

Soooo...I got to witness a nice little fire on my rear window today and then watch it explode while it was warming up.  I took it into the dealership today and they said a recall was released about 2 weeks ago.  Not very fun when it was -30F.

Welcome to the site.

Did they happen to tell what all will happen with the recall work/parts replaced?

• 3 weeks later...

I JUST had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday am, on my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali.  Was 3F outside.  5 minutes after I started the truck, heard a "hissing" sound.  Started to smell burning. Looked back and saw smoke coming from the rear window driver's passenger side. As I pulled the truck over, I saw sparks then BANG the window shattered.  Looks exactly as the picture you posted!  GMC Service Center told me a full week before they get back to me.  I see there's a recall.  When I pulled into the Dealership they blew me off.  Can anyone provide the Recall Notice ID number????

Edited by Stephanie R
added info

2 hours ago, Stephanie R said:

I JUST had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday am, on my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali.  Was 3F outside.  5 minutes after I started the truck, heard a "hissing" sound.  Started to smell burning. Looked back and saw smoke coming from the rear window driver's passenger side. As I pulled the truck over, I saw sparks then BANG the window shattered.  Looks exactly as the picture you posted!  GMC Service Center told me a full week before they get back to me.  I see there's a recall.  When I pulled into the Dealership they blew me off.  Can anyone provide the Recall Notice ID number????

Nice dealer

N192265660

Edited by dieselfan1