2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

6 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I am only saying that on some models the fuse also runs other things you do need or want. Also why do you think it is the defrost circuit and not 1 or 2 other factors as well?
There are other ways to resolve the issues that cost money but if you diy then under $20. I now not for everyone and many will say no gm has to do it. I will not get into the rights and wrongs of it just saying search around some may be worth tou time. If you are happy with fuse out, great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am sure there are other ways to fix it and I think that most here on this thread would be happy to spend $20 fixing the problem. I don't need or want to sit around and wait for GM to maybe do something 5 years from now. Problem is, no one but you apparently knows the answer...There is a lot of brainstorming in these 16 pages and no one has come up with the solution. The only other thing drawing current is the sliding window itself. That would mean a stuck "window close" relay that it constantly running B+ to the window. We have all reached the conclusion that it is the defogger because it has only happened when that circuit is closed and sending current. In the first hand accounts, a burning smell and smoke is seen at the point in the glass where the sliding window makes contact with the fixed side. The schematic shows that the only thing controlled by the underhood fuse #10 is the rear defogger. Am I missing something here that others can surmise?

image.thumb.png.fc7f9d08a3071b710c512ac02260263c.png

I am a basic DIYer. I am not a trained mechanic or electrician. I can follow instructions pretty well and figure out basic systems (and know my limitations), but I don’t understand what caused this beyond something in that area basically got over powered, caught fire and shattered the window. I am having someone else replace the window unit because I am not comfortable doing that myself. What I am trying to figure out is if the problem will be resolved when the unit is replaced since it includes a lot of the defogger stuff, or if I need to worry about it happening again. Obviously it isn’t a common enough problem or there’d be a lot more out there on it. But if it’s fixed, I would like to replace my fuse and have the full use of the truck again (I live in an area where the window does get frost/ice/etc on it and the defogger is handy during that time of the year). If the problem is elsewhere in the electrical/computer systems, I really don’t want to have it happen when my children are sitting there. My daughter’s head is about six inches from where the thing caught fire.

I am missing the part where GM will get to the bottom of this and rectify it. We are paying or paid so much for these Trucks but we are not getting our money's worth. What about our right as consumers? It is not part of the normal wear and tear, what about our time, money and headache dealing with this problem? what about our safety, safety of our family and the safety of the riding public?All about these threads are basically "he said, she said," kind of thing. There is no definite answer. One thing for sure, this is happening. What more  or what kind of proof do they want? Are they waiting for some serious injuries or fatalities? Call me crazy but I dread ridding my truck, I revived my clunker and now preferred driving it rather than my GM truck and my wife doesn't want my children ridding my truck anymore since it almost burned down because of this. I just want to sell my truck as soon as I can, rid of it and get over this. I am just sick and tired with all these calls from GM, the government responsible, the dealership where I got my truck like mocking me I am making things up. I just want to resume my chores and normal routine. 

• 5 weeks later...

Have you guys seen this?

From NHTSA.gov using my VIN.

Note the “remedy” in the second pic. Also, I have a 2018 Sierra, which was first sold in Canada and is now in the US.
1880d858b982b6bb1f8a1f7952d57f36.jpg566e68d35d5ebf73a6feb604ed2e0a05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ues seen it. I is a band aid you avoid claims. Legal move. If you do not have this done it is on you if you do it is good for them to show they are proactively protecting the consumer.
I'm not going into it but there are other ways to resolve,limit, or address the issue.

Ya. We get it, you’re not telling us. I was just passing this info along since it is the only “official” release from GM I had found and this thread as of yet has no resolution. That’s the point of these things... to share the information you have.

Anyways, I’m pulling my fuse, since it’s the only official directive and if it prevents my son from having to go to the hospital it’s good enough for me. I have arms, so I’d rather just scrape ice off the window than pick glass out of his head so I can sit there and push a button. I’ve never had a fear defogger in a truck until this one, but if also never had a window explode on a truck... it’s ok for me if both those records remain intact. Unless anyone has actual specific solutions they’d like to share in the interest of safety...

Sorry I couldn’t find more stuff guys...

I’ll also update this info when I take it to my local dealer (who have been pretty food to me thus far) and ask them what it means for me that this is a “Canada only” recall. I’d just be looking to have it officially noted by GM that my fuse has been pulled in compliance with the recall, so if there’s ever any better solution, I can have that done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More info has been released I would suggest you search forums on it. I am not trying to be a jerk as I have received many private messages on it.
True is the are real resolves to the issue but the mass of customers will not have the ability or for other reasons will not pursue them. Gm at this time isn't willing to take that step for the customer.
Everyone is different. But safe to say the majority of owners will say gm must fix it at any cost and that just isn't how big business works.
I was just looking yesterday at the paperwork on the brake booster and vacuum pump.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers buddy. Just trying to give insight on the does and don't of the recall.

The good news here is that the GM Canada Recall is calling the fuse removal only an Interim Solution.  That means they know this is only temporary and are still working toward something they can do as a long term solution.

BTW, if they extend this to a final solution, I’d expect that they’d offer some form of compensation like they did for the Heated Windshield Washer Fluid feature on the GMT-900.  When they removed that feature from trucks due to fires, they handed each owner a $100 check for the loss of a feature they paid for.

Polaris Razors were catching on fire. If somebody wanted to burn their house down, just put a Polaris Razor in the garage. Whalla. 

I see opportunity for Canada. Turn on your rear window defrosters....

Is it a criminal act? No. Paid $50,000 for a truck with a bloody window defroster.

With the ordeal I and my children have gone through brought about by this defect and GM basically admitting it, will it warrant lawsuit? I don't know if I am making sense or if I put it right but you know what I mean guys. 

8 hours ago, Carrot said:

With the ordeal I and my children have gone through brought about by this defect and GM basically admitting it, will it warrant lawsuit? I don't know if I am making sense or if I put it right but you know what I mean guys. 

Sure, why not? You can sue people for anything nowadays, why not that? There is a guy here that is suing Hardee's (Carl's Jr.) because he didn't get enough hashbrowns with his biscuit.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/ny-north-carolina-man-lawsuit-hardees-hash-browns-civil-rights-20190629-4jjhkhzkkbhkheiq25yb4pap74-story.html 

• 1 month later...

My husband's 2017 GMC Sierra Denali's passenger side rear window just cracked. Same thing happened to us....he had his rear defrost on. We smelled something burning in the cab, he looked back and saw smoke. We pulled over, got out and the smoke was coming from the rear passenger side window which had a red ember still burning inside the window. All of a sudden, the window made a loud bang and cracked. Is this a frequent problem with GMCs? Was there a recall we might have missed?

• 1 month later...

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali.  Hi I am wondering if anyone that has had their rear glass because of this problem replaced also had to have their car repainted? 

Long story short I had a little accident on the passenger side doors. Rear door bent into the cap pretty bad, so they had to replace the entire door cap. To weld in the cap they had to remove the rear glass. While doing the removal the glass company scratched the truck around the glass.

Body shop had to get approval from insurance company to fix it which delayed the repairs. So now after almost a month and half I went to pick up my truck today. While they were washing it they noticed a leak from the rear glass. They told me it might have to be removed again and resealed.  I really don't want to go through them painting the vehicle again. 

So, back to my question anyone run into the glass company/dealer scratching the vehicle while replacing rear window?  I am starting to think my body shop is dealing with an incompetent glass company.  Car otherwise looks like new.  Any advice is much appreciated! 

Dan