Flapper valve

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can someone please tell me the meaning of this flapper valve. What is its purpose and is it needed?
It's for when the truck goes into v4 mode. You can remove it and the truck will be fine without it. I cut mine off about 5k miles in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Rufasim said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but can someone please tell me the meaning of this flapper valve. What is its purpose and is it needed?

As mentioned above, it's for active fuel management (AFM) when the truck changes into V4 Mode.

It's basically a little flapper valve that will open/close based on back pressure. 

I thought the flapper valve was only on the GM Performance (Borla Touring) model and not actually on the Non-GM Borla muffler (i.e. the version that you buy direct from Borla)?

I use an AFM Range to wipe out V4 mode and was going to go with the Borla vs. GM performance model as I thought the only difference between the 2 was that the GM model has the flapper and the Borla (non-GM model) does not.  The Non-Gm Borla is also cheaper.  

I thought the flapper valve was only on the GM Performance (Borla Touring) model and not actually on the Non-GM Borla muffler (i.e. the version that you buy direct from Borla)?

I use an AFM Range to wipe out V4 mode and was going to go with the Borla vs. GM performance model as I thought the only difference between the 2 was that the GM model has the flapper and the Borla (non-GM model) does not.  The Non-Gm Borla is also cheaper.  
When you buy directly from Borla themselves it won't come with flapper valve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2018 at 5:20 PM, Goldy said:

Has anyone ever cut off there flapper valve and welded it back on an aftermarket system? 2016 silverado 1500

Just curious, is it squeaking? Mine always has (annoying), however, I elected to leave it on, like Marticus did with that sweet, simple system in one of the previous posts. I also wanted to modify the exhaust, so any chop sound would be more easily heard with a louder system.  

FYI: The muffler/flapper valve discussions are the most highly subjective of them all.  

If you do take it off, please report back on your findings!

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, Goldy said:

So I take it you deleted it.and now have the 4cylinder drone?

See thread linked in my sig..........

Flowmaster 53553.JPG

Flowmaster OEM.JPG