In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

JacobC1983

6 Speed Transmission Clunk Downshift

While i completely agree with Grumpy, for those who’s aren’t testing their case strength, add a bottle of Libeguard Red to you trans and you’ll see problems go away. That and changing every 30k like ya should be doing. 

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Problems with threads like this. 10 guys who never met each other with 10 different situations assuming 10 different assumptions are creating the exact same issue. Make a guys head hurt....

How would one begin to sort that actual defective units for those whose operators are aggravating a normal situation like the one below: 

What? You mean you can't abuse a transmission and have it ACT NORMALLY?  :banghead:

:crackup:

Thanks for the reply Grumpy.

I have the same suspicions.  There are millions of trucks out there and we are hearing mostly from people who are having problems.  Is this due to design flaws? or is it due to abuse? or is it column A and column B?  It may be that several different types of abuse may all expose a weakness in the transmission that will never be seen with proper care.

I am new to truck ownership but from reading sites like this is It seems that if you avoid modifications and perform recommended maintenance you can avoid a lot of trouble.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:16 PM, CSI-WALLEYE said:

I have the same suspicions.  There are millions of trucks out there and we are hearing mostly from people who are having problems.  Is this due to design flaws? or is it due to abuse? or is it column A and column B?  It may be that several different types of abuse may all expose a weakness in the transmission that will never be seen with proper care.

I tend to think it is quality control. GMs level of QC has taken a pretty big hit since around the time of the bailout. This is inevitably going to lead to more problems like this popping up, not just with one-off issues, but with the core design. Defects that everyone experiences.

I remember reading companies like GM and Chrysler have a different engineering philosophy than most other car companies. Traditionally, when an engineer designs a vehicle, they submit a drawing to assembly, and that drawing is the final standard. If a parts manufacturer or assembly line does not conform with the drawing, then they are instructed to do-over, and match the drawing.

Conversely, GM and Chrysler have a different philosophy; If a part manufacturer designs a part that isn't exactly to specification, GM and Chrysler won't necessarily send it back. If there are no immediately discernible problems with the non-spec part, they will amend the drawing to accommodate.

This is just something I regurgitated from memory so take it with a grain of salt. I can't remember where I read it, but I've seen if a few times. If it was true, it sure would make a whole lot of sense, and explain why a lot of the issues we see with GM and Chrysler are shared by so many of their customers, and why the problems with other companies (Toyota's) seem to be mostly one-offs.

Yeah my issue was present from the first or second month of ownership.  Not from beating on the truck.  I had a Nissan Frontier that I drove the shit out of, on and off road, that only started to show a slight tranamission issue at 125,000 miles.  Even at that mileage, it still performed with more refinement than this GM 6 speed.  

Hey guys, mine does the same thing hard shift at times. And when it goes to 3rd  makes a clicking noise under the car.