Bed Steps

Got the wife's permission and picked up a new 2018 Silverado High Country Crew Cab Duramax.  Looking for suggestions for bed steps.  Anyone added them?

Thanks in advance!

By bed steps do you mean the small ones that go behind the cab, the small ones that mount under the rear bumper, or side steps that run the length of the cab?

For all of them I have been happy with AMP.  They make powered side steps that are plug-and-play.  A little expensive but easy to install and work like a charm.  They are up against the rockers when not in use then when you open any door they extend down and away from the truck to give you a nice step in height.

If you are talking about the other small bed steps again AMP makes good ones (and actually makes the GM ones sold at the dealerships).  They mount under the side of the bed.  They are not automatic but you just push them with your foot to make them extend or retract.  They also make a similar step for under the bumper but you shouldn't need those since the new GM's have the "corner step" in the bumper.

Thank you for the response.  I should have been more clear in my initial post but am looking for the small bed steps to mount in front of the rear tires.  I had them on my last truck and I used them often.  They came as a factory installed option on that truck (2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch).  I had seen the AMP ones online but hadn’t been able to find too many other options for comparison.

Thanks again!

I don't think there are too many options. The AMP steps and the OEM. I think they are both made by AMP but the step treads are different. The OEM treads run up and down and the AMP treads run side to side. My '15 High Country came with one on the drivers side but I'm not spending $325 to put one on the passengers side.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2018/Chevrolet/Silverado 3500 HD/standard-box-retractable-bed-step-in-anthracite-22799283?categoryId=12062

Mine has the rectangular factory boards and the optional small fold down step ahead of rear wheel on drivers side.

So far so good. 

The rectangular boards do a reasonable job of hiding the passenger side def tank.

I had these on my 2500 and installed them again on my 3500. I like the steps. There a big help when getting to the aux tank in bed from the side . I also had a set on my 1500 but they did not fit. I'll buy again even if I change truck brands. 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, redwngr said:

Factory one is the same or similar to the front one that rcmike posted.

Factory one is made by AMP unless something has changed. Only difference is AMP includes the rivet nut tool and the factory one it isn’t included. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the AMP bedstep on the rear and while it's a quality unit it isn't as useful IMO as it should be.

Had the same bedstep on my Tundra (called it the 'old man step') and when expanded out it would stick out behind the rear bumper of the truck.  Made it very easy to get in and out of the bed.

The AMP step on my GMC pushes out the side of truck when extended, not out the back.  Problem is, I don't want to climb onto the side of my truck, I want to climb into the bed... so it's placement on the GMC makes using it to climb in awkward compared to the AMP bedstep on my old truck.  It's still much lower than the bumper cutout so that's good, but just not where I'd like it to be placed.

When I first installed I called and talked to AMP, thinking I'd mounted it wrong - even the stock 'GMC' pictures of it they had on their website showed it sticking out the back.  Ultimately they told me it was just the way the GMC bumper is designed doesn't allow it to stick out the back.  AMP had great customer service, offered refund, etc.  Just didn't want the hassle of uninstalling so left it on but seldom use it.

On my GMC

step.png

Version on the Tundra mounted like this

step2.png

Edited by dave_clt

On 5/7/2018 at 10:24 PM, dave_clt said:

I've got the AMP bedstep on the rear and while it's a quality unit it isn't as useful IMO as it should be.

Had the same bedstep on my Tundra (called it the 'old man step') and when expanded out it would stick out behind the rear bumper of the truck.  Made it very easy to get in and out of the bed.

The AMP step on my GMC pushes out the side of truck when extended, not out the back.  Problem is, I don't want to climb onto the side of my truck, I want to climb into the bed... so it's placement on the GMC makes using it to climb in awkward compared to the AMP bedstep on my old truck.  It's still much lower than the bumper cutout so that's good, but just not where I'd like it to be placed.

When I first installed I called and talked to AMP, thinking I'd mounted it wrong - even the stock 'GMC' pictures of it they had on their website showed it sticking out the back.  Ultimately they told me it was just the way the GMC bumper is designed doesn't allow it to stick out the back.  AMP had great customer service, offered refund, etc.  Just didn't want the hassle of uninstalling so left it on but seldom use it.

On my GMC

step.png

Version on the Tundra mounted like this

step2.png

Stupid question -- did you get the BedStep or the BedStep2?  There are 2 different designs for your truck:

The BedStep2 looks like the one in your GMC picture and is made to mount under the side of the bed near the cab not under the bumper.

The BedStep is made to mount under the bumper and the arm is offset so it sticks toward the rear of the bumper (see attached photo from AMP's website)

75314-01A_v1_web.jpg

ADDED IN EDIT:

According to the install instructions you can offset the pad yourself.  See Steps 6-8 of the attached pdf.

75315_BS_GM_TRUCK_2015.pdf

Edited by sk