Muffler/Exhaust Options

I have a 2017 LT with the 5.3 and I don't like how quiet the truck is stock.  Even with my foot on the floor it doesn't really sound like much.  My old truck had some sort of Borla system on it, not sure which one, which sounded amazing.

I am currently thinking about mufflers like the Flowmaster 44, Borla S-type and similar.

Personally I would rather not blow $900 on an exhaust system if I can get a similar sound with just a muffler.  I know that there are some minor performance differences but I'm not trying to win any races, I really just care about the sound. From watching videos I am struggling to tell if there is a major sound difference between a full cat-back system and just swapping out the muffler.  I've seen some where it appears to make a huge difference and others where it seems pretty minor.

The options I'm thinking of are:

1. Buy a single in, single out muffler, cut out the stock one and weld in the new one.  I'd leave the resonator on and install an AFM module to disable that.
  2. Buy a single in, dual out muffler, cut off the stock muffler.  Get a shop to weld in new tubing.  Would take resonator off and install the AFM module.
  3. Buy a full exhaust system.

Are there major differences in sound between these options?  Also does anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much option 2 would cost?  I don't think I will drop the money for a full exhaust system, but I also don't want to waste $200 on installing a muffler that won't make my truck sound much different from stock.

Thanks!

Edited by Western96

I'm not sure how you're going to do the single in dual out muffler if you only have 1 resonator. Don't see how that'll work. Me personally can't justify the price of a full cat back so bought a Carven R muffler removed stock muffler, flapper, and resonator and I'm happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

I'm not sure how you're going to do the single in dual out muffler if you only have 1 resonator. Don't see how that'll work. Me personally can't justify the price of a full cat back so bought a Carven R muffler removed stock muffler, flapper, and resonator and I'm happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yeah I meant to say the opposite ... that's why I mentioned it in #1.  I don't think so clearly this late at night.

I have the carven tr muffler right now. And I cant stand it.  I bought a magnaflow 13743 which is now sitting in the garage     I'm having a black widow 250 installed tomorrow hopefully 

6 hours ago, Nasty said:

I have the carven tr muffler right now. And I cant stand it.  I bought a magnaflow 13743 which is now sitting in the garage     I'm having a black widow 250 installed tomorrow hopefully 

What don't you like about it?  Also if you've heard both the Black Widow and the Flowmaster what are the differences?  To me it seems like the Flowmaster has more of a truck-like low rumble while the Black Widow has more of a muscle car sound.  Also all the clips I've heard of Black Widows sound crazy loud.  I want to be able to make some noise, but not be that guy waking up the whole street.

3 hours ago, Western96 said:

What don't you like about it?  Also if you've heard both the Black Widow and the Flowmaster what are the differences?  To me it seems like the Flowmaster has more of a truck-like low rumble while the Black Widow has more of a muscle car sound.  Also all the clips I've heard of Black Widows sound crazy loud.  I want to be able to make some noise, but not be that guy waking up the whole street.

I have a Black Widow 250 with the 3rd cat and resonator delete. I think if you left the 3rd cat on the truck and the resonator you would be happy. If you want to ditch the factory resonator go with the Venom 300.

This is a cold idle video of mine.

Warm start with revs. Keep in mind is has the 3rd cat delete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Western96 said:

The carven to me just sounds sloppy

On 4/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, Gorske said:

I have a Black Widow 250 with the 3rd cat and resonator delete. I think if you left the 3rd cat on the truck and the resonator you would be happy. If you want to ditch the factory resonator go with the Venom 300.

Man this is badass.  I think I know which route I'm gonna go, we'll see what costs look like but this is dope.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 7:51 AM, Gorske said:

I must picked up a black widow 250 for my 16 Rc    I need to get it installed. I already have resonator delete but I'm keeping my cats. It will be to loud with 3rd cat removed 

• Like 1

I recently put a Dynomax Cat-Back on my 14. I’ve been very happy with it so far. $75 rebate puts it under $250 for a whole 3” cat back. If you didn’t like the muffler it would be very easy to swap it because it uses nice stainless band clamps.  

On 4/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, Gorske said:

My truck is a bit of a pain in the neck for me to get to this week, would you mind telling me if the muffler was center in/center out?

I'm thinking of doing the Black Widow 250 or 300 with a single in/dual out setup, but it only has center inlet, so I was wondering if that's gonna be an issue.

1 hour ago, Western96 said:

My truck is a bit of a pain in the neck for me to get to this week, would you mind telling me if the muffler was center in/center out?

I'm thinking of doing the Black Widow 250 or 300 with a single in/dual out setup, but it only has center inlet, so I was wondering if that's gonna be an issue.

I have a center/center muffler and the shop that installed it didn't seem to have an issue it being that way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

Has anyone tried or heard the new SLP cat back system, it decently priced. Just curious about cab drone.

I have the SLP on my truck. It sounds decent, but I thought it droned a bit too much. I purchased a 3" Vibrant resonator for $85, on Amazon and cut it into the pipe when it comes back down over the axle, same as stock. Fixed about 90% of the drone.

Just so you know, the SLP comes with 2 inlet pipes, so you cut it to fit your particular truck. It's an easy install, I did it in the garage on jack stands. It comes with nice band clamps, and seals well. The Vibrant resonator is about an 1" too long for the stock location, so I cut 1/2" off each side and made my cut into the SLP over axle pipe. It slips on the outside of the SLP pipe, and I cut 2 slits into to the inlet and outlet of the resonator. I used U-bolt style clamps, and it worked well. It sealed pretty good and didn't have any leaks or movement, but I went back a few months later, when I got some flux core SS wire for my welder and welded it up permanent. You could get away with not welding if you wanted.

I hope that makes sense for you.  

Edited by imiller1974