New OnStar Plans (including extending Basic after free trial)

6 hours ago, Bob2C said:

The problem with tethering my iPhone to the truck is the the truck after a while default back to the WiFi of the truck. Also when I keep my iPhone hotspot on it goes into a dormant state and I have to manually go into the phone setting a screen and swipe down to initialize again. I don’t have the unlimited data I was just putting it out there that it’s available for $15 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, iPhone - there is your problem.  On my Android, the Hotspot turns on as soon as I start the truck.  The truck never disconnects from it (not that it needs to be connected) but everyone in the truck can connect to it without issue.  I've taken 7 hour trips like this without incident.  

I'd rather upgrade to unlimited data than spend $15/month for my truck to have data.  

Ahh, iPhone - there is your problem.  On my Android, the Hotspot turns on as soon as I start the truck.  The truck never disconnects from it (not that it needs to be connected) but everyone in the truck can connect to it without issue.  I've taken 7 hour trips like this without incident.  

I'd rather upgrade to unlimited data than spend $15/month for my truck to have data.  

I hear ya. Don’t know what the issue is with the iPhone. Have to look into it.

So I threw an old android phone behind the screen for CarPlay and connected my iPhone hotspot to it and it connects fine every time. The only problem now it disconnects my iPhones Bluetooth I use for phone calls while plugged in. Is there a way to keep the android plugged in and have my iPhone still connected to bluetooth?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Bob2C said:

So I threw an old android phone behind the screen for CarPlay and connected my iPhone hotspot to it and it connects fine every time. The only problem now it disconnects my iPhones Bluetooth I use for phone calls while plugged in. Is there a way to keep the android plugged in and have my iPhone still connected to bluetooth?

Thanks

I don't think the truck allows multiple Bluetooth connections, and Android Auto / CarPlay require both the hardline connection + Bluetooth.  

I don't think the truck allows multiple Bluetooth connections, and Android Auto / CarPlay require both the hardline connection + Bluetooth.  

Damn. I was hoping to leave the android phone plugged in just for waze. I wish we could get a waze app for my link. That would be great. Can’t see why they don’t do it.

• 1 month later...

Here is something I found out today.  My Chevy Impala is in Michigan.  I'm in Wisconsin.   I haven't driven my car for a couple weeks.  Tried with app to remote unlock and/or start car.  No luck.  Called for support.   If your vehicle is not driven for 10 days, the vegicle connection goes to "sleep" and only way you're able to remote anything is to use the key fob and start your vehicle!!

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, Fairlanemama said:

Here is something I found out today.  My Chevy Impala is in Michigan.  I'm in Wisconsin.   I haven't driven my car for a couple weeks.  Tried with app to remote unlock and/or start car.  No luck.  Called for support.   If your vehicle is not driven for 10 days, the vegicle connection goes to "sleep" and only way you're able to remote anything is to use the key fob and start your vehicle!!

Yep. Battery saving feature

Has anyone come across any good deals for onstar having remote access and safety/security? I just cancelled my 24.99 a month service for both. Just didn't use it to justify the cost. When I called to cancel they wanted to offer me a month or two free. I tried to get them to give me both for $180 a year but they didn't budge. They will be emailing and calling soon.

8 hours ago, Bob2C said:

Has anyone come across any good deals for onstar having remote access and safety/security? I just cancelled my 24.99 a month service for both. Just didn't use it to justify the cost. When I called to cancel they wanted to offer me a month or two free. I tried to get them to give me both for $180 a year but they didn't budge. They will be emailing and calling soon.

I have heard that if you call to cancel and claim either your on a fixed income, or you can't afford the plan, they will cut your rate similar to XM Radio or your cable company, as opposed to losing you as a customer. Could ask for the 'retention department' perhaps. But maybe that's what they tried to do with the free months. Hard to believe they would choose $0/mo over 60% of what they are asking but perhaps

On 12/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, Fairlanemama said:

Thanks for the tip! That is good to know. Recently had my trucked dropped off at the airport and told my friend to lock the keys in the truck knowing I could unlock with the app. Did not know this feature goes away after 10 days! Thanks.

11 hours ago, Bob2C said:

3 hours ago, grafik said:

I have heard that if you call to cancel and claim either your on a fixed income, or you can't afford the plan, they will cut your rate similar to XM Radio or your cable company, as opposed to losing you as a customer. Could ask for the 'retention department' perhaps. But maybe that's what they tried to do with the free months. Hard to believe they would choose $0/mo over 60% of what they are asking but perhaps

Thanks for the tip! That is good to know. Recently had my trucked dropped off at the airport and told my friend to lock the keys in the truck knowing I could unlock with the app. Did not know this feature goes away after 10 days! Thanks.

I just did this. I called and told them I could not afford it anymore.

I had the Protection plan ( think this is an older plan) I was paying 9.99 a month, I guess I signed up for some promo when I bought the truck. Well last month it went up to 24.99 per month. So I called and told them I wanted to cancel but was willing to stay with the remote access plan if they could do 9.99 a month. The guy put me on hold and came back a minute later and said he could keep me on the same Protection plan for 9.99 per month for 6 more months. After that he said it would go up to 24.99. He also said call the day before billing and they could try and  work down the price again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, davester said:

You might want to set a reminder for yourself, as that's the kind of call they just might happen to "forget" to make...

Already did!! I will call a week before. I was actually surprised how nice they were. I am used to calling XM radio and having to talk to like 4 different people before they renew me at the cheaper price.

I am going to try and see how much I really use the remote start with the app. That is the main reason I keep it.  I might just cancel come that time anyway and save some money.

3 hours ago, Ironman24 said:

Already did!! I will call a week before. I was actually surprised how nice they were. I am used to calling XM radio and having to talk to like 4 different people before they renew me at the cheaper price.

I am going to try and see how much I really use the remote start with the app. That is the main reason I keep it.  I might just cancel come that time anyway and save some money.

Glad it worked out! I hate to admit but I use the remote app start almost daily. It's killer convenient, and has turned me into such a lush about getting into a cold vehicle!

So I had cancelled my onstar on Jan 15 (safe and sound package + remote start) which I got for 24.99 after I got 2 months free at the start Sept & Oct which was after my free 3 month trial period for buying a new car. Paid nov, dec,)Yesterday on my way home I pushed the button to see what they would offer and gave me 3 more months free then billing at 24.99 in April after for 6 months at the “special rate” and of course can cancel at any time. So I’ll call after I pay a month or two and either cancel for a bit or see if they give me some free months. I guess that’s how it has to be played. So for 6 months I only paid approx $50 for both services. I don’t think that’s bad. It’s a bit of hassle if you want to call it that.